New 360

I just got my new 360 yesterday and when I turned it on I only had 12 GB of free space and I deleted everything that was on it which was a few movies and it still just had 13. Is this wrong on does the actual format make the capacity that low?

Yea I knew after formating the actual capacity was smaller, I got a 250 GB external and its only about 215 or so after formatted but i didn't think the Xbox only having a 20 GB HD would have that much difference.

Yea I knew after formating the actual capacity was smaller, I got a 250 GB external and its only about 215 or so after formatted but i didn't think the Xbox only having a 20 GB HD would have that much difference.

It doesn't, the other space is cached by the system.

And

Whenever you buy a harddrive, you dont get what it says it has.

Like, if you buy a 250gb - its actually only 233gb or so

That's because of a difference between what the actual value of a gigabyte is. The hard drive companies, for marketing reasons, set 1000MB to be 1GB, resulting in more gigabytes per hard drive. In real life, however, there are 1024MB in 1GB, so the actual space is different from the advertised space.

Assuming I remember all this correctly.

You're right Obake, the HD makers screwed us over with their lame marketing until I believe either Maxtor or WD got sued for saying a HD had so and so, but then it being lower when it was all said and done. I think they should say exactly how much space is on them in GiB (note the i between the G and B).

You're right Obake, the HD makers screwed us over with their lame marketing until I believe either Maxtor or WD got sued for saying a HD had so and so, but then it being lower when it was all said and done. I think they should say exactly how much space is on them in GiB (note the i between the G and B).

Yeah, I'm never going to get used to saying "gibibyte." I think they should switch the definitions of the "gigabyte" and "gibibyte" families of number notation. It's easier for me to think of a gigabyte as 1024 megabytes, rather than as 1000 megabytes.

I guess the "bi" is supposed to stand for "binary," but still.

It's apparantly pronounced as "bee," according to Wikipedia, which is weird too. I've always pronounced it "bih."

Stupid IEEE.