Ireland loss lowest in Pakistan cricket

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) - Former Test cricketers Sunday described Pakistan's shocking three-wicket loss against Ireland in World Cup as the lowest point in country's cricketing history.

"It's terrible," said Intikhab Alam, who was the coach when Pakistan won the World Cup in 1992.

"Without a hint of doubt in my mind, it's the lowest point in Pakistan cricket," he added.

Pakistan slumped out of the World Cup contention after losing both its Group D games - against host West Indies and Ireland.

"Irish players rose to the occasion, they meant business and looked more motivated than us," Alam said.

Pakistan was weakened by the loss of pace bowlers Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif and key allrounder Abdul Razzaq, who withdrew with injuries on the eve of the tournament.

The Pakistanis also were without the services of allrounder Shahid Afridi against the West Indies and Ireland as the effervescent allrounder served out the final two matches of a four-match ICC ban.

"No matter who was playing for us and who was not (playing), the bottom line is that still we had more experienced players in our ranks than Ireland," Alam said.

Alam advised both coach Bob Woolmer and captain Inzamam-ul-Haq to quit soon after coming back to Pakistan.

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Naseem Ashraf expressed deep disappointment after his country's early exit from the ninth edition of the World Cup.

"I am as disturbed over the result as the rest of the nation," Ashraf said in a statement.

Another ex-Test captain and wicketkeeper Rashid Latif was at a loss of words to describe Pakistan's early exit.

"It's (the defeat) a crime with cricket, what else do they want. It's better they should leave," Latif said.

"As a former Test captain I feel ashamed," he said.

"All the (Pakistan) former Test cricketers kept pointing toward the weaknesses in our team for months before the World Cup, but nobody listened.

"I was not expecting such a shameful performance .... I have no words to describe it."

An outspoken former Test fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz said the defeat was the "worst ever point in Pakistan's cricketing history."

"While watching the match live on TV, I was just cursing myself and saying, 'What's going on?"'

Pakistan had lost to Bangladesh in 1999 in another upset result at the World Cup, but Nawaz said Saturday's loss had no match for it.

"The wicket was suitable for seamers and Ireland won the crucial toss, but we lost fair and square without putting up a fight," he said.

Nawaz demanded that it was now high time that all PCB officials - including captain and coach - should quit.

"If we can't beat Ireland then I think Pakistan cricket is in the wrong hands," Nawaz said.

"It's better that all who are responsible for this should be shown the door."

Chief selector Wasim Bari said that he too was disappointed.

"Like every other Pakistani I am also disappointed and that's all I could comment at this stage," he said.

When asked was he expecting Pakistan to lose against teams like Ireland in the World Cup, Bari refused to answer. "At the moment I can't comment more than what I have said."

The loss against Ireland also disappointed Pakistan cricket fans, who kept watching the live coverage on their television sets until the wee hours of Sunday morning.

"Cricket should be banned in Pakistan from today," fumed Yousuf Ali, Grade 10 student.

"Why are they making us fools?" he added.

Businessman Saifuddin Ghulam Abbas said he would not have minded so much if the defeat had came against Bangladesh or even Zimbabwe - Pakistan's last opponent in Group D on March 21.

"But losing to Ireland is simply not acceptable, the whole team should be sacked."

Cricket fans burned effigies of Inzamam in his hometown of Multan and chanted slogans against the Pakistan captain.

Around 50 protesters also burned posters of other national team players to show their anguish.

"It's a shame for us that we lost to a team (Ireland) that stands nowhere in the cricketing world," said Afzal Butt, who led the procession.

Source

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Cricket/2007/03/18/3776552-ap.html

How about you suck it up and stop whinging like bitches?

Edited by snyper

Come on, they should complain. Their team let them down.

Never in history, I think, has Pakistan been defeated before the semi final stages. This was pathetic, losing to a beginner side.

Come on, they should complain. Their team let them down.

Never in history, I think, has Pakistan been defeated before the semi final stages. This was pathetic, losing to a beginner side.

yes they have.

and snyper, you could have posted this in the world cup thread. i know it's exciting and special, but it's not the first time a minnow has beaten a test team.

Did they beat the Windies when Hanse Cronje played for them?

Cronje was South African. so i doubt it.

and snyper, you could have posted this in the world cup thread. i know it's exciting and special, but it's not the first time a minnow has beaten a test team

Well, yea and no.

Im really disgusted the way the ppl of Pakistan have reacted to this. Protested on the streets burning Pictures of the players is completely out of order. At the end of the day its a Sport.

In Ireland we love our sports, we do get very disappointed when our soccer team does really badly like they are doing now. But reacting like this is way OTT

Edited by Boffa Jones

It wasnt Ireland ... It was Kenya who beat WestIndies in the 1996 worldcup.

Then it was Bangladesh vs Pak in 99 or 2003 world cup

and now India vs Bangladesh and Pak vs Ireland.

but there are many more upsets before the 92 cup ....

1979 sri lanka beat india ( SL were not even a test playing nation )

zimbabwe beat aussies in 83

It wasnt Ireland ... It was Kenya who beat WestIndies in the 1996 worldcup

No, it wasnt the world cup it was a one day test....we were never in the world cup before.

yes they have.

Do you know by who?

Im really disgusted the way the ppl of Pakistan have reacted to this. Protested on the streets burning Pictures of the players is completely out of order. At the end of the day its a Sport.

In Ireland we love our sports, we do get very disappointed when our soccer team does really badly like they are doing now. But reacting like this is way OTT

Ok i did email the players to tell them that ransarule was form Pakistan and that if they could win it would give me something to gloat about on Neowin.

Pakistanis take cricket seriously, trust me, I would know being a Pakistani.

But still, burning **** is over the top.

And as an Irishman i can tell you i fellt sick after we were denied the european Championship to a last minute score by the french against the scots in Rugby this weekend. i was close to tears...(instead i went out and beat the **** out of the neighbors Scottish terrier )

We love our sports- quite similar to the Aussies, but like them even tho its so important to us as a people and a national pride..ITS JUST A GAME.

Cricket is serious business in our continent ;)

YAY!!! We washed out India... :D :D :D :D :D (well I need some place to express it :D)

Do you know by who?

But still, burning **** is over the top.

Well, they were eleminated in the 1st round last WC if i remember correctly.

And all of this doesn't just happen in pakistan. i remember the last world cup where india did poorly at the start and the public were doing this and burning effigies and this especially happens if they lose to pakistan.

cricket in the subcontinent is serious business almost like a religion.

Well, yea and no.

Ok i did email the players to tell them that ransarule was form Pakistan and that if they could win it would give me something to gloat about on Neowin.

Pakistan and India take their teams very seriously.

You may have a shrugs the shoulders attitude and state that others should have the same, but they dont.

They are cricket nations and proud of it and yes they go over the top becasue they are so passionate.

They are cricket nations and proud of it and yes they go over the top becasue they are so passionate.

Hockey is the national sport in Pakistan.

passion is difficult to gauge, but i dont think burning pictures of the national team and protesting on the street is a way to argue that they are more passionate about cricket than we are about Rugby or Soccer o any of out Gaelic Sports

yes they have.

and snyper, you could have posted this in the world cup thread. i know it's exciting and special, but it's not the first time a minnow has beaten a test team.

Cronje was South African. so i doubt it.

Hanse Cronje has captained Ireland (1995) in the past, Ireland play in the C&G or whatever the sponsor is called now, when Ireland & Scotland play against first class counties in England and Wales.

Ireland beat Surrey CCC (my team) last series or one before that.

Ireland team only has 2 or 3 Irish players in it currently, rest are Australian & South African.

I am disappointed that I won't be watching any India Vs. Pakistan matches in this world cup. Just like Pakistan, India probably won't make it to Super 8 round.

Hanse Cronje has captained Ireland in the past, Ireland play in the C&G or whatever the sponsor is called now, when Ireland & Scotland play against first class counties in England and Wales.

Ireland beat Surrey CCC (my team) last series or one before that.

Ireland team only has 2 or 3 Irish players in it currently, rest are Australian & South African.

oh sorry i though you meant Hansie playing for WI and losing, possibly due to match fixing.

i know that Ireland and scotland play FC cricket.

I am disappointed that I won't be watching any India Vs. Pakistan matches in this world cup. Just like Pakistan, India probably won't make it to Super 8 round.

Yep that was most likely going to be one of the biggest match of the WC.

I updated when he played for Ireland after you quoted me, 1995, seems a lot longer ago than I thought.

It's C & G aka Cheltenham and Gloucster trophy.

Hanse or Hansie, shame that guy did what he did he was a great player.

Ireland team only has 2 or 3 Irish players in it currently
:huh:

Niall O'Brien (age 25): The Ireland wicket-keeper has just signed a one-year contract with English county side Northamptonshire, having spent the last four years at Kent. O'Brien is a left-handed batsman who usually comes in at three or four in the order and is capable of making a high score - his best being 176 against the UAE in 2005. Renowned for his wit, O'Brien will lead the sledging in around the wicket to keep opposing batsmen on their toes. In fact, he received a one-match ban last year for telling a Scottish groundsman exactly what was on his mind. He also had the nerve to try and reverse sweep Shane Warne while on nought playing for Kent, which shows that confidence won't be an issue going into this tournament.

Kevin O'Brien (age 22): Younger brother of wicketkeeper Niall, Kevin O'Brien is proving to be a very polished all-rounder. He recently proved himself in Kenya and the UAE, where he hit impressive figures with the bat. He also bowls at a lively pace. This newcomer boasts a highest score of 142 (v Kenya in Nairobi). O'Brien plays his cricket for Railway Union and should be capable of landing a contract for an English county side over the next couple of years. The 22-year-old impressed in the recent clash with South Africa, scoring 33 while the tail collapsed around him.

Peter Gillespie (age 32): One of several all-rounders in the Ireland squad, Gillespie started out as an opening bowler but evolved into a very proficient right-handed batsman. Gillespie plays his cricket for Strabane and has the proud record of scoring Ireland's fastest ever century (47 balls). Gillespie probably won't make the starting XI for the opener with Zimbabwe but will be more than capable of doing a job, if required. He usually comes in at five or six in the order and has pushed Ireland on to victory in several games that looked beyond them. Gillespie has over 100 caps; his brother Mark also played for Ireland, winning four caps in the 1990's.

Kenny Carroll (age 23): Kenny Carroll was selected for the World Cup squad after a tremendous season for Railway Union. The right-handed batsman hit five centuries during the year, averaging over 50 throughout. Carroll made his mark in the Ireland team on the recent trip to South Africa, where he hit a fine century against a South African provincial side. His inclusion in the squad came at the expense of former captain Jason Molins. Carroll led Ireland to European Under-23 Championship glory last year and he will be hoping to get a chance during this tournament to prove that he can compete at the highest level. Expect Carroll to sit out the opener against Zimbabwe but coach Adrian Birrell may turn to him if one of the regulars suffers a loss of form or if injury alters his gameplan.

Kyle McCallan (age 31): Ireland's most capped player, McCallan has now won over 150 caps for Ireland and is the current vice-captain in Adrian Birrell's side. The Waringstown man began his cricketing career as an opening batsman before turning his attentions to right-arm off-spin bowling. While he gradually moved down the batting, McCallan concentrated on his bowling and has been a regular in the Ireland set-up since 1996. McCallan's best bowling came against Italy in 2000 (5-23), but more impressively, he once bowled Brian Lara for a duck in a NatWest trophy game. The Ulsterman will bat at around seven or eight in the order and has the potential to score quickly in the latter overs. His highest score came in only his second international, 100 not out v MCC in Malahide in 1996.

Paul Mooney (age 30): The North County right-arm medium-pace bowler is one of Ireland's more consistent bowlers. Mooney should be in the starting eleven for Ireland's first game of the tournament against Zimbabwe, but won't take the new ball. His consistent line and length should help keep the run-rate down. Mooney should also chip in with some vital runs in the lower order. He'll be hoping to find the form that saw him reach his highest score of 66 for Ireland against Club Cricket Conference in 2003.

John Mooney (age 25): Younger brother of Paul, John made his mark on the international stage after taking three wickets against England last year. The North County all-rounder is in the squad for his right-arm medium-pace bowling and is a similar type of player to his brother. The younger Mooney is probably a faster bowler, Mooney senior is more consistent with line and length. John may not make Birrell's starting XI but will be raring to go if he gets a chance, and he is capable with the bat, hitting 34 against Sussex in last year's C&G Trophy.

Eoin Morgan (age 20): Barely out of his teens, Morgan has already been capped 34 times for Ireland. Guaranteed his place in the starting XI, Morgan should come in at three. His recent good from culminated in him breaking the Irish batting record, hitting 209 at the Intercontinental Cup in the UAE earlier this year. Morgan plies his trade at Middlesex alongside former Ireland star Ed Joyce, and with Joyce and two other England batsmen due to be away on international duty for most of the summer, the left-handed opening batsman will get plenty of games for his club this year. Unfortunately, Morgan is likely to be an England opener once he qualifies in a couple of years' time. Morgan is definitely one to watch at the World Cup and if Ireland are to cause a shock, expect Morgan to be instrumental.

William Porterfield (age 22): This left-handed batsman from north Dublin's Rush club was probably named in the World Cup squad as back-up, however, recent performances will probably ensure Porterfield opens the batting in the opener with Zimbabwe alongside Jeremy Bray. He scored two consecutive centuries at the recent World Cricket League in Kenya, and his recent 37 against South Africa shows that he has potential to go on to be a top-class opening batsman.

Boyd Rankin (age 22): Standing 6 ft 8ins, Boyd Rankin is being tipped to be one of the stars of the future. The right-arm fast-bowler has signed for English county side Derbyshire where he'll be hoping to impress this season. Yet to be tested at the highest level, Rankin may cause a problem in the West Indies if he gets consistent line and length and throws in the occasional short ball to generate some bounce. His best figures so far for Ireland are the four for 56 he took in the UAE earlier this year.

Andrew White (age 26): All-rounder White has just spent the last two years at Northants but is currently unattached, so he'll be in the shop window at the World Cup. A couple of decent performances may see him land a county contract for next season. White made his debut in 2000 and was instrumental in Ireland's impressive victory against the West Indies at Stormont in 2004. Known as 'the finisher' in the Ireland team, White should play a key role in Ireland's challenge in the Caribbean. He top scored, 152 not out, in 2004 against the Netherlands.

yeah, he was actually a great captain and player. he didn't have to do any of it but just ended up getting greedy.

oh and leesmithg you should support Kent! :p Kent (not in the one day matches) ftw!

How about you suck it up and stop whinging like bitches?

I think you don't understand the difference between the two teams. That is why the Pakistanis are so upset.

For a long time, Pakistan has had the best bowling line up in the world. Their batting has been among the top 3-4, too. For them to lose a match against Ireland is akin to Brazil losing to Bangladesh in football.

Also, luck plays a lesser part in Cricket than it does in football or any other game. So, their fans couldn't believe that their team lost to a minnow, and that this has booted them out of the WC.

yeah, he was actually a great captain and player. he didn't have to do any of it but just ended up getting greedy.

oh and leesmithg you should support Kent! :p Kent (not in the one day matches) ftw!

I support the county I was born in, I also lived 10 minutes from the oval.

I do not do Kent CCC.

They should build a caravan park at Maidstone CC and Cantebury.

:huh:

Niall O'Brien (age 25): The Ireland wicket-keeper has just signed a one-year contract with English county side Northamptonshire, having spent the last four years at Kent. O'Brien is a left-handed batsman who usually comes in at three or four in the order and is capable of making a high score - his best being 176 against the UAE in 2005. Renowned for his wit, O'Brien will lead the sledging in around the wicket to keep opposing batsmen on their toes. In fact, he received a one-match ban last year for telling a Scottish groundsman exactly what was on his mind. He also had the nerve to try and reverse sweep Shane Warne while on nought playing for Kent, which shows that confidence won't be an issue going into this tournament.

Kevin O'Brien (age 22): Younger brother of wicketkeeper Niall, Kevin O'Brien is proving to be a very polished all-rounder. He recently proved himself in Kenya and the UAE, where he hit impressive figures with the bat. He also bowls at a lively pace. This newcomer boasts a highest score of 142 (v Kenya in Nairobi). O'Brien plays his cricket for Railway Union and should be capable of landing a contract for an English county side over the next couple of years. The 22-year-old impressed in the recent clash with South Africa, scoring 33 while the tail collapsed around him.

Peter Gillespie (age 32): One of several all-rounders in the Ireland squad, Gillespie started out as an opening bowler but evolved into a very proficient right-handed batsman. Gillespie plays his cricket for Strabane and has the proud record of scoring Ireland's fastest ever century (47 balls). Gillespie probably won't make the starting XI for the opener with Zimbabwe but will be more than capable of doing a job, if required. He usually comes in at five or six in the order and has pushed Ireland on to victory in several games that looked beyond them. Gillespie has over 100 caps; his brother Mark also played for Ireland, winning four caps in the 1990's.

Kenny Carroll (age 23): Kenny Carroll was selected for the World Cup squad after a tremendous season for Railway Union. The right-handed batsman hit five centuries during the year, averaging over 50 throughout. Carroll made his mark in the Ireland team on the recent trip to South Africa, where he hit a fine century against a South African provincial side. His inclusion in the squad came at the expense of former captain Jason Molins. Carroll led Ireland to European Under-23 Championship glory last year and he will be hoping to get a chance during this tournament to prove that he can compete at the highest level. Expect Carroll to sit out the opener against Zimbabwe but coach Adrian Birrell may turn to him if one of the regulars suffers a loss of form or if injury alters his gameplan.

Kyle McCallan (age 31): Ireland's most capped player, McCallan has now won over 150 caps for Ireland and is the current vice-captain in Adrian Birrell's side. The Waringstown man began his cricketing career as an opening batsman before turning his attentions to right-arm off-spin bowling. While he gradually moved down the batting, McCallan concentrated on his bowling and has been a regular in the Ireland set-up since 1996. McCallan's best bowling came against Italy in 2000 (5-23), but more impressively, he once bowled Brian Lara for a duck in a NatWest trophy game. The Ulsterman will bat at around seven or eight in the order and has the potential to score quickly in the latter overs. His highest score came in only his second international, 100 not out v MCC in Malahide in 1996.

Paul Mooney (age 30): The North County right-arm medium-pace bowler is one of Ireland's more consistent bowlers. Mooney should be in the starting eleven for Ireland's first game of the tournament against Zimbabwe, but won't take the new ball. His consistent line and length should help keep the run-rate down. Mooney should also chip in with some vital runs in the lower order. He'll be hoping to find the form that saw him reach his highest score of 66 for Ireland against Club Cricket Conference in 2003.

John Mooney (age 25): Younger brother of Paul, John made his mark on the international stage after taking three wickets against England last year. The North County all-rounder is in the squad for his right-arm medium-pace bowling and is a similar type of player to his brother. The younger Mooney is probably a faster bowler, Mooney senior is more consistent with line and length. John may not make Birrell's starting XI but will be raring to go if he gets a chance, and he is capable with the bat, hitting 34 against Sussex in last year's C&G Trophy.

Eoin Morgan (age 20): Barely out of his teens, Morgan has already been capped 34 times for Ireland. Guaranteed his place in the starting XI, Morgan should come in at three. His recent good from culminated in him breaking the Irish batting record, hitting 209 at the Intercontinental Cup in the UAE earlier this year. Morgan plies his trade at Middlesex alongside former Ireland star Ed Joyce, and with Joyce and two other England batsmen due to be away on international duty for most of the summer, the left-handed opening batsman will get plenty of games for his club this year. Unfortunately, Morgan is likely to be an England opener once he qualifies in a couple of years' time. Morgan is definitely one to watch at the World Cup and if Ireland are to cause a shock, expect Morgan to be instrumental.

William Porterfield (age 22): This left-handed batsman from north Dublin's Rush club was probably named in the World Cup squad as back-up, however, recent performances will probably ensure Porterfield opens the batting in the opener with Zimbabwe alongside Jeremy Bray. He scored two consecutive centuries at the recent World Cricket League in Kenya, and his recent 37 against South Africa shows that he has potential to go on to be a top-class opening batsman.

Boyd Rankin (age 22): Standing 6 ft 8ins, Boyd Rankin is being tipped to be one of the stars of the future. The right-arm fast-bowler has signed for English county side Derbyshire where he'll be hoping to impress this season. Yet to be tested at the highest level, Rankin may cause a problem in the West Indies if he gets consistent line and length and throws in the occasional short ball to generate some bounce. His best figures so far for Ireland are the four for 56 he took in the UAE earlier this year.

Andrew White (age 26): All-rounder White has just spent the last two years at Northants but is currently unattached, so he'll be in the shop window at the World Cup. A couple of decent performances may see him land a county contract for next season. White made his debut in 2000 and was instrumental in Ireland's impressive victory against the West Indies at Stormont in 2004. Known as 'the finisher' in the Ireland team, White should play a key role in Ireland's challenge in the Caribbean. He top scored, 152 not out, in 2004 against the Netherlands.

Where they all playing against Pakistan?

The two brothers that were the keystone of the win against Pakistan I know were Irish, however I don't care really, Bray is an Aussie his mate married an Irish bird and is it Portefield is a sprinbok!

I could qualify to play for Ireland, my grandad being Irish, shame I didn't retire from semi-professional cricket 6 years ago, hey I could have beat Pakistan and got revenge for 1992 defeat and all that seam scratching Imran did!

I could qualify to play for Ireland, my grandad being Irish, shame I didn't retire from semi-professional cricket 6 years ago, hey I could have beat Pakistan and got revenge for 1992 defeat and all that seam scratching Imran did!

He got acquitted in court.

Snyper the only person whining here is yourself.

All Pakistani cricket fans and other senior cricketers are doing is criticizing their own team for losing against a minnow. They are not blaming Ireland or taking credit away from them.

Ireland IS a minnow whether you accept it or not, and Pakistan lost to them playing bad cricket. The Irish make the most of this god given opportunity and I fully credit them for it.

As for fans getting violent over sports, this is nothing new. It's been happening since the advent of sports. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_in_sports#Fan_violence

Note: I do not condone violence in sports. I am just presenting the facts.

Also, Indian neowinians please correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Dhoni's house attacked by Indian cricket fans after they lost to Bangladesh?

All Pakistani cricket fans and other senior cricketers are doing is criticizing their own team for losing against a minnow

Burning pictures and protesting on the streets is plain stupid.

I dont see where you can perceive that im whining. We won :p