[HDTV/360] Best resolution for 768p TV

I have a 768p TV (I'm not sure the exact resolutions 13xx by 768 or something) and am wondering which is better: 720p or 1080i (TV doesn't support 1080p either at all or just over component).

I am currently using 720p because I think I'd rather lose 48 pixels than be interlaced.

Definately stick with 720p, I have a TV with same resolution and I run in 720p as progressive is much better than interlaced.

I agree, progressive is always better than interlaced.

I have an HD satellite receiver. Most channels are 1080i. I set the receiver to output 1080i and in my opinion the picture looks better than in 720p. But the differences are so little!

Anyone actually know why they build TV's with 768 rather than just using 720? It really doesn't make much sense to me

I believe it has to do with the fact that when cutting the panels, this size makes it easier and cheaper to cut 1024*768 XGA panels and 133*768 panels from the same sheets. I remember reading that one time.

Yeah, 720p is the best for me aswell on a similiar TV.

bangbang, I noticed that a Panasonic Viera Plasma 42" with the resolution of 1024x768 is able to view 1080p how does that work?:s

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...=&langid=EN

Native Resolution 1024x768

Display Capabilities 480i/480p/720p/1080i

1080p Digital Processing

This Panasonic plasma TVs is equipped with HDMI terminals and a new digital processor that are compatible with 1080p digital video signals. This will ensure that you will have complete access to all that 1080p and next generation digital sources, such as Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players, have to offer.

Does that mean it is equipped with HDMI (which is capable of displaying 1080p) but not on this TV?

well its nothing to complain about really as your getting more pixels but can force the TV to be 720 but why?

because you hear 720p all the time? 1080P is your highest standard? why would a resolution between 720 and 1080 not be good?

these are just resolutions and have nothing to do out being ripped off or anything =) its just marketing....

now bangbang reason might be answer as to WHY? but you basing your question on marketing...

who wouldn't want a higher resolution? give me more pixels any given time

my TV is native 1280x720, but since when did market tell you what to adjust your computer/games to?

use the highest you can...

but for desktop use 720 is practical as things get to small for my desktop use...

this goes for tv and consoles as well

*but a tv of 1024x768 is not even 16:9 and this is a downgrade but having a resolution a little over 1280x720 is a smile not a frown

Edited by 1Way Jonny

Game: That is the TV I have, except in the 50" Costco edition [TH50PX6U] (Costco edition = no SD card slot).

What it means, is that you can send a 1080p signal to the TV, it will display it, however it will be downscaled. In a nutshell, it "supports" 1080p signals, displays 1080p signals, but only at 1024x768.

Think of it like displaying 3000x2000 pixel digicam images on a computer monitor. They display, they look great, it just isn't "full" quality.

Yeah, 720p is the best for me aswell on a similiar TV.

bangbang, I noticed that a Panasonic Viera Plasma 42" with the resolution of 1024x768 is able to view 1080p how does that work?:s

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...=&langid=EN

Does that mean it is equipped with HDMI (which is capable of displaying 1080p) but not on this TV?

It will accept the signal, but down convert it to the sets native resolution.