Got an X-Box, now what?

I just got an X-Box and decided to keep it, what should I get for it? What can I do with it? Should I get X-Box Live? How much does it cost? Any games essential to the console I should know about? When you record a CD on it, what format does it save it as?

I'm sorry, rip a CD. I remembered a guy on here a few days ago mentioned he ripped songs to the HD, and I tried it, it worked, just wondering what format it was done in, sounds good. :blink:

hihi....

depends on your self-preferences.....i played desert storm with my friends....it was fun. now my roommate is playing splinter cell.....and get halo for sure as username mentioned! im not interest on xbox live...too expensive...other than that..just wait...im sure xbox will have more and more good games.... ;)

*yay* my 100 threads!....yahoooooooo...

The songs are in wma format since the Xbox uses a form of Windows Mediaplayer. As far as games go, Splinter Cell is probably the best current game out and if you are on broadband, Xbox Live is fun. It costs $50 for 1 year service of service.

I found this faq heres some interesting bits

What format is ripped media stored in on the Xbox ?

128 kbps, 16-bit stereo WMA.

How many hours of music can the Xbox Hard Drive hold ?

Over 73 hours.

I burned music in audio format onto cdr/ cdrw but the Xbox doesn't recognize it ?

The Xbox's DVD-ROM laser doesn't read all types of media, a list of compatable cdr &

cdrw will be added soon.

Does the Xbox play WMA's recorded at 128 kbps 16-bit stereo ?

No. The Xbox does not directly support playback of WMA files from CD, it only rips them

to WMA format to run of the Hard Drive.

some other stuff -

How can i unlock the parental lockdown ?

Turn on your Xbox without a disc in the drive to access the Xbox dashboard, goto settings

& highlight the Parental Control. When the screen pops up that says Enter Pass Code

press: X, Y, Left Trigger, X. You'll be taken to the parental controls screen where you can

disable the passcode previously entered.

Can programs be run/ executed from the Hard Drive

Yes. Microsoft stressed the idea of running downloaded game demos from the Hard Drive,

so you should be able to run other executable programs.

Is the Xbox territory locked ( ie can i play US games on UK Xbox or vice-versa ? )

The Xbox does support territory locking, but it is upto developers to use it. Microsoft is

infact keen for developers to not use territory locking, however there has been no mention

of any game developers not using it yet.

if you have broadband then xbox live! is essential. for $50 bucks, the price of one game, you get a yr of service. it brings a whole new dimension to some of your games. Halo w/o a doubt is a must and the rest are ehhh. depends on what exactly your into. military, get ghost recon, spy get splinter cell, RPG get morrowind, etc etc they have whole lists of these all over the net too

You burn the X-Box, that is what you do with it. In the words of the famous Trix bunny "Silly hax0r, consoles are for kids!"

Ha just kidding, get Mech Assault, people won't stop raving about it. I don't really see the difference between that game and Mechwarrior for the PC.

I just got an X-Box and decided to keep it, what should I get for it? What can I do with it? Should I get X-Box Live? How much does it cost? Any games essential to the console I should know about? When you record a CD on it, what format does it save it as?

Halo and Splinter Cell are must haves. Umm, then I guess it's whatever takes your fancy.

Dead or alive -> if you like Fighting Games

Hunter the Reckoning -> if you like arcade hack & slash

Halo -> if you like console shooters

Splinter Cell -> if you like games like Metal gear

I just got an X-Box and decided to keep it, what should I get for it?  What can I do with it?  Should I get X-Box Live?  How much does it cost?  Any games essential to the console I should know about?  When you record a CD on it, what format does it save it as?

Halo and Splinter Cell are must haves. Umm, then I guess it's whatever takes your fancy.

Agreed.

Just purchased a Xbox to ... and have had my fair share of "gems" and "duds" ...

I purchased mine as the bundle (SegaGT & JSR:F included) ... good enough games no doubt, but I felt the need for another ... so I picked up Outlaw Golf and Project Gotham Racing ...

Outlaw Golf is decent fun, but controlling your swing is quite a task ... Project Gotham Racing is fun, but certainly NOT a simulation (which is what I wanted) ... SegaGT filled that gap there ... so I returned both games and exchanged them for Ghost Recon ... amazing game, especially if you have your system hooked up to your stereo for surround sound.

I thought I had my "starter kit" complete, but one of my buddies stepped up and mentioned ... "you don't deserve a Xbox, if you don't have Halo" ... well I figured if it was that d@mn good, I needed to give it a try ... ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC GAME!

I have since picked up various other games for Xbox Live and have enjoyed playing every single one of them ... more so than my PS2 now ... and I have always loved it!

Anyhow, the moral of this story ... Halo is an absolute "gem" and a must own for any Xbox owner ... other than that, I'd say if you have a EB (Electronics Boutique) nearby, shop with them, somethings might be a bit more expensive, but you get a 14-day grace period ... if you don't like it, take it back and exchange it for something else.

Of course the "renting" option is always the easiest and cheapest. :D

now what? well, you should talk to your box, that thing like to talk a lot, also you need to take her out to a game or something, and please, buy her something to eat, the xbox favorite food are hamburgers...

lame ;)

Now, seriously, buy splinter cell and play till you die