720p AVI on PS3...

I know the PS3 doesn't support XviD (unless I use Linux), so what is the most effective way of converting a 720p AVI (XviD) file into one the PS3 can play without losing the high definition'ness?

Bhav, for the no-brainer aproach I'd recommend Red Kawa'd PS3 Video 9... I've done a couple of tests with it, and the loss of quality can be negligible in most occasions (providing you choose the right profile - I recommend AVC with a bitrate of more than 1024kbps if possible and add a 2nd Pass)

Personally, I've been converting using commandline tools, which is a bit harder, though you should be fine going trough Doom9 and VideoHelp's fora.

I can only say that mp4 is the way to go on this one, h264 is a great codec :)

oh - and watch out fi you're using subtitles or anything (soft coded, meaning in .srt's or in mkv/ogm files or anything) - I'm not sure if they'll work as the MP4 spec is kinda updated since the PS3 came out and I don't know if it's supported

Does anybody how to re-mux mkv into valid mp4 files?

I've tried EVERYTHING and the resulting mp4 files I get won't even play on quicktime. Although VLC will play anything you throw at it... if the file plays on quicktime, that's a good indicator since the ps3 will play that too.

I have an mkv file with h264 video and ac3 audio. I demuxed it into two files, and re-encoded the ac3 audio into aac stereo.

On linux using the command line, mp4box says that the video stream is invalid because it lacks something. On windows it muxes into an mp4 file that qt can't play, and the ps3 obviously doesn't.

So I ended up using an app called "Xvid4psp", but the whole 2-pass re-encoding took around 7 hours. But that thing PLAYED on the ps3.

Im wondering, if I use a external harddrive - formatted FAT32 style

All files over 4gb are excluded right?

How do manage playing HD content from it then? :(

Does anybody how to re-mux mkv into valid mp4 files?

I've tried EVERYTHING and the resulting mp4 files I get won't even play on quicktime. Although VLC will play anything you throw at it... if the file plays on quicktime, that's a good indicator since the ps3 will play that too.

I have an mkv file with h264 video and ac3 audio. I demuxed it into two files, and re-encoded the ac3 audio into aac stereo.

On linux using the command line, mp4box says that the video stream is invalid because it lacks something. On windows it muxes into an mp4 file that qt can't play, and the ps3 obviously doesn't.

So I ended up using an app called "Xvid4psp", but the whole 2-pass re-encoding took around 7 hours. But that thing PLAYED on the ps3.

I suggest you use MeGUI and look up some more information on doom9.org and videohelp.com... basically you demux the mkv to a video and audio stream... probably h264 and AC3 or anything as you said. The PS3 won't play AC3 unless it comes from a DVD or BD, so just like you said, you have to put it to aac, but you really HAVE to make sure it's LE-AAC and not HE-AAC since the PS3 doesn't support it.

Then you just remux it with MeGUI's mp4-muxer. That's how I did it and it worked for me. PM me if you still have any troubles, I'll see what I can do?

Huleboeren; FAT32 will NOT store anything over 4gb indeed, so you could only split the file into two pieces... or put up a file server on your PC in your local network and download it using the browser and your local IP... feel free to PM me about that as well ^^

Huleboeren; FAT32 will NOT store anything over 4gb indeed, so you could only split the file into two pieces... or put up a file server on your PC in your local network and download it using the browser and your local IP... feel free to PM me about that as well ^^

I heard people trying that - downloading via the browser

But the output when it was finally done was 1.64gb instead of the original 8.3gb :s

Can I use bulletproof ftp?

I heard people trying that - downloading via the browser

But the output when it was finally done was 1.64gb instead of the original 8.3gb :s

Can I use bulletproof ftp?

I don't know if the PS3 can do FTP file transfers and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.... I suggest you go for something as easy as vilvic media center or red kawa's file server... you could also try HTTPFile Server or Apache (the latter being the hardest the set-up)

I don't know if the PS3 can do FTP file transfers and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.... I suggest you go for something as easy as vilvic media center or red kawa's file server... you could also try HTTPFile Server or Apache (the latter being the hardest the set-up)

I see, I found this little handy HTTP Fileserver - it can run entirely without installing on the harddrive.

Can even run from your memory stick :)

http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

Ive used it before and havent had any issues - fast and simple.

Would installing Apache give me any benefits?

Hmm

Didnt work

I used Red Kawas' "PS3 Video 9"

Converted an .xvid video to "AVC 480p 1024kbps Stereo/128kbps"

I tried downloading it from my PC via HFS as I mentioned before but then the PS3 asked me to plug in a external hd/card :(

And I tried a .mp3 file without converting it

- said the same thing

Perhaps it is HFS ******* up?

What do I do, master Keito?

Edited by Huleboeren

hmm... you should try out Vilvic media center then - I personally haven't had tried HFS with my PS3 but I use it a lot on my PC, so I just figured it would work.

Anyways, I wouldn't see why a file converted by that program wouldn't work on the PS3 - all of them have worked for me. Make sure the file is .mp4 etc.

I just tried Red Kawas' Fileserver

I succesfully got the video down but the ps3 said it didnt support that format :s

Encoding (recoding) takes a helluva long time :(

Winnydows Xvid4PSP has a PS3 profile and the thing plays perfectly on the PS3, you should try that.

And for transporting big files over 4gb, maybe double-layer dvds? Over the network it would take ages, unless you're using wired lan

Winnydows Xvid4PSP has a PS3 profile and the thing plays perfectly on the PS3, you should try that.

And for transporting big files over 4gb, maybe double-layer dvds? Over the network it would take ages, unless you're using wired lan

I got it working now - with Red Kawas' Fileserver and PSP Video 9

I think I used the wrong encoding too :)

I used a wired lan connection to download from the fileserver - it wasnt as fast pc-to-pc but its okay.

Does the PS3 play all DVDs? duallayer / +r +rw -r -rw etc?

Then you just remux it with MeGUI's mp4-muxer. That's how I did it and it worked for me. PM me if you still have any troubles, I'll see what I can do?

I've used MeGUI with the .h264 file that mkvextract produced and the mp4 I get is not playable, not even in quicktime.

I've tried YAMB too, but that uses the same mp4box thing so I guess it makes no difference.

It's weird because some of those conventers are able to play the h264 file in their "Preview" thing. But most (if not all) are converters and not muxers.

I tried mp4box in linux and it says that the video stream is invalid, that it lacks h264 headers or something like that. I don't really know what to do...

I've already found a way of converting the audio and I have the audio stream in aac, but hell, if quicktime doesn't play it, it won't play on the ps3 (I've already tried that anyway).

I'm starting to thing that this h264 file has b-frames or something that qt/ps3 don't like much. Where can I see more advanced properties on how the video was encoded?

I got it working now - with Red Kawas' Fileserver and PSP Video 9

I think I used the wrong encoding too :)

I used a wired lan connection to download from the fileserver - it wasnt as fast pc-to-pc but its okay.

Does the PS3 play all DVDs? duallayer / +r +rw -r -rw etc?

I have tried all the DVD variants and all have played fine. So yes..yes it does. :)

What does muxing mean anyway? :s

.MP4 and .MKV (and .AVI) are just media containers. They contain video and audio and sometimes subtitles streams, encoded.

MKV is a non-standard (I suppose) container, but it can contain audio streams that standard mp4 can't (AC3 for instance).

SInce the video in the MKV is already encoded in the codec I want and everything, no "conversion" (re-encoding) should be neccesary, just putting the video stream into an mp4 file. Mux is putting the streams into the container.

Well I just found out, the MKV video I had was encoded using AVC high profile. Quicktime doesn't have avc high profile capabilities, and the PS3 presumably does since its included in the bluray standards, BUT it won't play high profile avc in the "video" menu of the XMB.

So I'm screwed.

I've used like... any muxer I could ever find... well I'm happy now, anyway!

The PS3 only plays the High AVC profile from BD and DVD... not from normal files... Something which I personally think sucks, but yeah, we have to live with it. Same with AC3 audo; works from discs but not from files in xmb...

The PS3 only plays the High AVC profile from BD and DVD... not from normal files... Something which I personally think sucks, but yeah, we have to live with it. Same with AC3 audo; works from discs but not from files in xmb...

Well, the file definitely fits on a DVD. Can I author the DVD using the mp4 file I just made? Without any rencoding? maybe I can use nero to author a bluray disc and burn an image of it and then burn it on dvd?

I don't know if it works... if you go ahead and do it, make sure you do it on a rewritable just in case :p because my first hunch would be that it wouldn't work

Well, I remember the option to burn BD/HD-DVD was there in nero but not anymore. Plus, I don't know if nero would burn a bd iso image straight into a dvd, I think it recognizes it somehow.

In hero vision there's an option to write "AVCHD" discs... but nero wouldn't let me import my mp4 files...I would have to mux it in an avi file, which means I have to rencode the audio again to mp3 or something because megui wouldn't let me create an avi with h264/ac3 or h264/aac.

I don't know if it works... if you go ahead and do it, make sure you do it on a rewritable just in case :p because my first hunch would be that it wouldn't work

Nero vision will re-code videos to this AVCHD thing. The resulting mts file (inside a STREAM folder) plays perfectly on my ps3, and it uses avc high profile 4.1. So yay! The thing is, nero recodes the damn videos and doesn't even let me change the output resolution (which is set at 1080 i/p)

Now, if there was anything that would mux these m2ts files... these files are also known as "HDMV". The AVCHD file structure is the same as a blu ray disc if I'm not mistaken.

There are demuxers but I can't find anything that will actually MAKE these files. Using graphedit I can't find any nero filter that would do this.

But I'm close, I'm close. Perhaps by the time I achieve my goal (if I ever do) sony will release an updated firmware, or I'll simply install linux to solve all my video format problems

• 2 weeks later...