Dolby Digital Problem w/360

For some reason when i set my 360 to use Dolby Digital, my receiver displays some letters and the subwoofer seems to stop working and after a while it just turns itself off (subwoofer turns itself off when not being used), everything else works fine, sound comes off from each speaker as it should but there is no bass cuz the Subwoofer just doesnt do anything.

If i change the settings in the 360 to use Stereo the woofer starts working again.

I already tried to change the Optical Cable and nothing.

The letters that are displayed in the reciever when i switch to Dolby Digital are: "D.Range" and "LFE", note that they disappear if i set 360 to stereo...

Thanks in advance for any help

Here is a picture i took of the receiver with those letters on (its a Sony receiver).

post-95544-1174670546_thumb.jpg

Not sure sure what "D Range" stands for. LFE are the Low Frequenct Effects that are sent from the source material (360 games) to the sub by default. Normally the sub should be picking this up, so there really should be no problems. Check your used guide for more info.

Good luck!

did you take your receiver out of prologic II mode?

EDIT: the d-range part is dynamic range compression usually called midnight mode compresses some frequencies. Try disabling that in the menus of the receiver. If I see right is that a panasonic receiver?

did you take your receiver out of prologic II mode?

EDIT: the d-range part is dynamic range compression usually called midnight mode compresses some frequencies. Try disabling that in the menus of the receiver. If I see right is that a panasonic receiver?

Hmm, i will try to look in the manual how to disable D.Range, thanks for the help, i will give it a try once i get home.

I was reading the manual after posting this and it seems you are right, the manual says something about how D.Range lets you watch movies late at night with low volumes hence no bass(it also says how to turn D.Range off), something tells me this will fix my problem, thank you, cant wait to get home :)

No, its a Sony STR-DE597, same as picture below but in black...

7154_3.jpg

Edited by CY:G

I have a model similar to that receiver, make sure you press A.F.D until you put it into Auto (if it's the same button on the remote) that should put you back into dolby digital 5.1

I have a model similar to that receiver, make sure you press A.F.D until you put it into Auto (if it's the same button on the remote) that should put you back into dolby digital 5.1

Thanks for your reply, i turned off D.Range and it did nothing, still no bass.

Today when i get home i will try that A.F.D. option, hopefully that fixes it.

Thanks

i don't think that will fix it as i have that problem too. Are you talking about it doing that all the time or only when playing music? That's the case for me when i play music but with games and dvds the subwoofer is fine. Once i switch to streaming music from the server the subwoofer doesn't play anything. If i switch the audio option to stereo it does so i think it's a limitation in the software for the xbox. It sends a 5.1 signal but doesn't use the 3, 4, 5 and the .1 channels as i only get sound thru the front speakers unless i change the receiver to Multi-ST mode (same receiver as the one above only in black)

I have no issues with my Yamaha. If for some reason it was a 5.1 source and only used stereo I think the receiver would have the crossover still send the bass from mains to the sub.

From that picture, it seems as though the receiver isn't outputting to your sub on purpose. It's only showing the five speakers. Normally, I believe it would show a sub icon too (though I haven't worked much hands on with the Sony receivers).

my receiver is actually an STR-DE598 and the subwoofer is on and no special features. Same as the guy said above tho once you go to the option in the Xbox menus to swtich audio to Dolby Stereo or whatever the subwoofer comes right in and plays but switch it back to Dolby Digital and it cuts out. If i play a game or movie the subwoofer is fine too.

(not trying to hijack your thread, just carrying it along since we have the same problem :) )

It's a Sony amp...I don't think those work with Microsoft's stuff. :shifty:

It won't be a problem with your 360. If Dolby Digital is enable on the 360, then it's an amp problem.

well i guess, weird tho for sure... my DVD player plays fine with it and even my TV when i output to the reciever is fine.. i think Sony sabotaged it? What do you guys think? LOL I love their audio equipment and even their TVs (Sony's that is) but i definitely love my 360 so i'm blaming Sony for now :)

I have the exact same problem but with the original Xbox and my sony receiver. Not sure of the sony model # but it does the same thing. Tons of bass with movies/music but as soon as I turn on Dolby Digital, no bass. I am connected with the old school HD super advanced whatchamacallit AV pack and an optical cable. My SONY receiver is dolby digital and DTS capable and like I said works no prob in cutscenes/music, all of my ingame dolby digital 5.1 sound is only decoded as 5.0. I have an Athena Micra 6 speaker system and the sub will turn itself off after a couple minutes of receiving no signal.

OK so this worked for me. For the sony receiver, you need to change the speaker size, any speaker, to SMALL. If you do not do this, for some reason the Sony receiver will not decode the .1 out of the 5.1 and will not send any signal to your sub. I looked in the manual for my sony and there is a tiny little footnote on this. I have a Sony STR-DE997.

I have the exact same problem but with the original Xbox and my sony receiver. Not sure of the sony model # but it does the same thing. Tons of bass with movies/music but as soon as I turn on Dolby Digital, no bass. I am connected with the old school HD super advanced whatchamacallit AV pack and an optical cable. My SONY receiver is dolby digital and DTS capable and like I said works no prob in cutscenes/music, all of my ingame dolby digital 5.1 sound is only decoded as 5.0. I have an Athena Micra 6 speaker system and the sub will turn itself off after a couple minutes of receiving no signal.

OK so this worked for me. For the sony receiver, you need to change the speaker size, any speaker, to SMALL. If you do not do this, for some reason the Sony receiver will not decode the .1 out of the 5.1 and will not send any signal to your sub. I looked in the manual for my sony and there is a tiny little footnote on this. I have a Sony STR-DE997.

OMG, i love you, that did it, THANK YOU :D

ok well guess i'll have to turn the rears to small then as i have 4 3-way speakers all matched (same model) so i had them all set to large since they are..