Difference between 14:9 and 16:9 TV

Hi,

As per the title, I am wondering what the difference is between 14:9 and 16:9 as I notice a lot of LCDs are being touted as 14:9 lately. Will I lose any resolution etc with this?

Also, hopefully BangBang023 can help with this as he seems to be the local HDTV guru, I am looking at the Sony Bravia KDL40V2500 LCD TV and wondered if it was any good? Couldn't tell much when I viewed it in store as they just had a loop running and couldn't load anything else :( This was the only TV in my price range (?1,200) in George Henry Lee's (John Lewis)

I have heard that standard definition can be a bit iffy on HDs and wondered if this was as noticeable as people make out? (I currently only have Sky+ but will be upgrading to Sky HD in the next few weeks, when I get my TV:))) so was just wondering what the none HD channels would look like in the interim and when watching none HD channels on Sky HD

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Man, I think the v2500 is is completely different in the UK than in the US. I believe (Sony site doesn't have it up to confirm) that it's the UK equivalent of the S2010 here. In that case, it's a good set. On par with the Samsung LNS4051 (US model).

Thanks for the reply bangbang, here is a link to the UK version. Looks like you may be right, the US version of the 2500 is 1080P whereas the UK is 1080I.

Do you know what the 14:9 is, will I be losing screen size, as its classed as a 14:9 TV here in the UK :(

Thanks again

That set is 720p, not 1080i. There are no 1080i LCD televisions.

As for 14:9, the set isn't in a 14:9 resolution, but it has software to help it better handle the signals. You can read up on the 14:9 ratio here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14:9

It's not used much in the states (as far as I've seen).

Thanks again for the quick reply :)

I understand 14:9 now, a lot of advertisers use it here in the UK, just hadn't realised what it was :) You learn something new everyday