No HDMI adapter to be released for original Xbox 360

An MS staffer has confirmed that there will be NO HDMI adapter released for the original Xbox 360. As HDMI is a '2-way street', MS had to change the box, hence the introduction of the Elite 360.

Re: "Will there be an HDMI cable released for us early adopters? If not that kinda sucks. Also, can one buy the new bigger HD?"

Unfortunately there will not be an HDMI adapter released for the original 360. The HDMI spec is basically a 2-way street and requires the specific port on both sides to be enabled. This is why we had to change the box.

Yes, we did announce that you'll be able to buy the bigger HD for $179 at retail.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=15550

http://ozymandias.com/archive/2007/03/28/E...nnounced.aspx#2

Makes sense. If the original 360 was capable of it, I'd think they'd have released it far sooner.

But I'm glad VGA works great on my HDTV, or else I would definitely wish for an Elite. (Hey I wouldn't mind an HDMI 360 despite how good VGA works.. But unless I had the extra cash to spend I wouldn't buy a new console lol).

will microsoft put an upgrade policy in place?

Sure would be very nice to trade in my used premium for a new Elite :)

Why would they? Nobody is entitled to it.

Of course! It's being done through your local GameStop/EBGames stores. Just go and tell them you want to trade in your XBox 360. They'll happily take it in and you can use whatever they give you to buy an Elite! ;)

I don't get this hard-on for HDMI....the QUALITY IS NOT THAT DIFFERENT guys..especially Vs. VGA!!

I'm not saying that cause I like XBOX. I am saying it cause I don't see the need. I really can't tell the difference. I don't even like the black finish. My white looks so much better.

If I could download movies, then 120GB would make sense, but for me...for demos 20GB is more than enough.

a. Im guessing this could still fall under a April Fools thing, so I'll wait for official word.

b. MetalRasaM, aside from the image for some sets that only accept 1080p over HDMI, it also adds one important feature to the 360, streaming of HD audio from the HD-DVD discs. There is no other way possible from the 360. Optical cable down converts any detected audio streams since it lacks the bandwidth that HDMI allows for.

a. Im guessing this could still fall under a April Fools thing, so I'll wait for official word.

It's not. Read the actual links. The reply was dated March 28. That is the official word. There will be no HDMI for current 360 users.

Also, there won't be an upgrade policy, at least not by Microsoft:

Microsoft has no plans to offer rebates, discounts, or free trade-ins for loyal early adopters. When asked how he thought gamers would respond to the new higher-priced addition, Penello said, "I think and hope that people are going to understand. There is as price for being an early adopter and your points and feelings are valid (Penello said when referring to gamers IGN suggested would be angry about the new system). But whenever you innovate and change, you have to face this situation. Your same old system is still perfectly valid. Think about it this way, it's a new bundle that comes with a bigger hard drive."

When IGN asked why the launch system didn't come with a larger hard drive and an HDMI port, Penello explained: "We could never have done this before, to bring HMDI and 120 GB to the system when we launched in 2005. The reason we didn't do it before was because the HDMI standard wasn't complete. It takes time to develop these things. We started the console earlier than Sony did and when the HDMI standard wasn't done. At the time we were developing, this stuff was in transition."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776448p1.html

MS have already said that they won't, which is fair enough considering you knew a new version was going to be coming eventually.

Wow, could you guys be in any more denial about it? :\ Its been known since like a week after release that the video out port was analog. :\

what i love about it is they say HDMI standard wasn't complete then the new "elite" comes with the 1.2 and not the new 1.3 standard..

1.1 was established in may 2004 and my tv which I bought in 2004 has hdmi 1.1 on it. Anyone know why 1.1 wouldn't work? It's still used in some tvs today like the fujitsu aviamo line which is a brand new line.

Penello said, "I think and hope that people are going to understand. There is as price for being an early adopter

erm no there shouldn't be. Also I'd hardly call over a year into the consoles lifecycle an "early adopter"

I'm not fussed anyway now, the way my TV is mounted only one of my HDMI slots is free anyway and that has my PS3 in it

What's the difference between the 1.2 and 1.3 spec anyways? I could look it up, but i'm thinking it's minor. Oh well, as of right now, I don't own any HDTVs anyways, so i'm stuck at 480p. When I do get one, i'll just have to make sure it can do 1080p over VGA, OR just use my 19" minitor etc. Sure it's small, but it's fine for PC gaming isn't it.

What's the difference between the 1.2 and 1.3 spec anyways? I could look it up, but i'm thinking it's minor. Oh well, as of right now, I don't own any HDTVs anyways, so i'm stuck at 480p. When I do get one, i'll just have to make sure it can do 1080p over VGA, OR just use my 19" minitor etc. Sure it's small, but it's fine for PC gaming isn't it.

Higher speed:

? HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth from 165MHz (4.95 gigabits per second) to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future high-definition display devices, such as higher resolutions, deep color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.

Deep color:b>

? HDMI 1.3 supports 30-bit, 36-bit and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 24-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification.

? Lets HDTVs and other displays go from millions of colors to billions of colors.

? Eliminates on-screen color banding, for smooth tonal transitions and subtle gradations between colors.

? Enables increased contrast ratio.

? Can represent many times more shades of gray between black and white. At 30-bit pixel depth, four times more shades of gray would be the minimum, and the typical improvement would be eight times or more.

Broader color space:r space:

? HDMI 1.3 removes virtually all limits on color selection.

? Next-generation ?xvYCC? color space supports 1.8 times as many colors as existing HDTV signals.

? Lets HDTVs display colors more accurately.

? Enables displays with more natural and vivNew mini connector:>New mini connector:

? With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor conneLip Sync:

Lip Sync:

? Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates an automatic audio/video synching capability that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically New lossless audio formats: lossless audio formats:

? In addition to HDMI?s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and currently available compressed formats (such as Dolby? Digital and DTS), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby? TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio?.

Wow, could you guys be in any more denial about it? :\ Its been known since like a week after release that the video out port was analog. :\

It's digital...it has an Optical out, which is a digital connection...

From the differences listed for 1.3, it seems more of a future proofing of the spec then anything else. the higher color depth and higher transfer speeds for higher res TVs (which aren't even being sold yet), so this doesn't really help much for games or even movies at this point. 1080p isn't fully used by every game yet and even when it is, the 1.2 HDMI spec is enough to cover for it's needs I think.

Now going above 1080p, well then you do need HDMI 1.3, but when that time comes, we'll all be talking about the next Xbox again.

Now going above 1080p, well then you do need HDMI 1.3, but when that time comes, we'll all be talking about the next Xbox again.

Only things that need to go above 1080p will be people with over 70ins TV's(I'm guessing) or massive digital projectors.:p

Would an update from HDMI 1.2 to 1.3 only be possible through a hardware update? Can it not be done via firmware updates or something?

Doesn't seem very future proof to me :s

It's digital...it has an Optical out, which is a digital connection...

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry588436997

I think only the optical part at the end is Digital, the rest isn't, as otherwise the colours would all be going through a single connector or two.

Unless I misunderstand Spartans point.. :\

Edited by Pc_Madness

Wow - people saying "You all knew an upgrade was going to come" and so on...

So, when did the console industry embrace that model? I always figured the point of consoles was that the technology for a specific console stayed static (ok revisions such as Megadrive/Megadrive 2 or PS1/PSOne PS2/PS2slim)?

I don't get this hard-on for HDMI....the QUALITY IS NOT THAT DIFFERENT guys..especially Vs. VGA!!

You wouldn't notice the different on a small monitor, but for people with 50" and above it will make a big difference.

But I don't really care. What I hate is that Microsoft is trying to turn the console market into the PC market with upgrades.