Latest Playstation 3 Firmware Update Thread

Just wondering why everyone is not able to play Gran Turismo 4. It's one of the games I still play a lot and when I got my PS3 I had the original firmware and it played out of the box.

You got a European ps3?? It also appears that the UK people can now connect online with more ps2 games like Battlefield, Pro Evo etc..

You got a European ps3?? It also appears that the UK people can now connect online with more ps2 games like Battlefield, Pro Evo etc..

Nope US one. Think it was second shipment and I think it may of been second version of firmware now that I think of it. But I see on other forums that people still can't play it on newer firmware. I'm suspecting the people have PAL PS3s or NTFS PS3s and think that the PS2 stuff is region unlocked on the PS3 when only PS3 games aren't region locked. They must of had a Mod Chip in their PS2 and just got a copy of GT4 and didn't notice region on it and it just worked. That or the disc is scratched to all hell.

Nope US one. Think it was second shipment and I think it may of been second version of firmware now that I think of it. But I see on other forums that people still can't play it on newer firmware. I'm suspecting the people have PAL PS3s or NTFS PS3s and think that the PS2 stuff is region unlocked on the PS3 when only PS3 games aren't region locked. They must of had a Mod Chip in their PS2 and just got a copy of GT4 and didn't notice region on it and it just worked. That or the disc is scratched to all hell.

ntsc, not ntfs ;)

north american and japanese ps3s have the emotion engine chip installed in them. the emotion engine was the one in the ps2. the emotion engine was left out of european (pal) systems, and all their backwards compatibility is done through software, not hardware...meaning not every game is supported completely, and gt4 happens to be one of those games. that's why yours works while others don't.

• 1 month later...
23/05/2007 09:49

PS3 Firmware Version 1.80 Announced

Latest PLAYSTATION 3 Firmware Update Provides PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and DVD Upscaling

Remote Play on PSP (PlayStation Portable) via the Internet and DLNA transfer of media content also enabled

London, 24 May 2007 ? Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION?3 (PS3?) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation? and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

The capability to upscale DVDs to HD quality is a feature normally only associated with top range DVD players, and its inclusion in the latest firmware upgrade now allows PS3 owners with an existing DVD collection to dramatically enhance the viewing pleasure of their DVD collection when viewed through a compatible HD TV set1. Not only can DVD movies be enhanced to full 1080p HD quality but so too will PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games be upscaled to provide much improved gaming pleasure.

In a comprehensive update to PS3?s already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3?s credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3?s hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

- ends -

Notes

1. DVD-ROM (including DVD Video content) can only be upscaled with HDMI compatible TV sets.

2. Use of Remote Play requires a powered up PS3 with Version 1.80 as well as PSP firmware version 3.50 which will be available at the end of May.

3. DLNA ? Digital Living Network Alliance. For more info on DLNA, please see http://www.dlna.org/en/consumer/home

Source: http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...mp;NewsAreaID=2

• 4 weeks later...

that thread need to be updated b/c there is frimware 1.80 and 1.81 the 1.81 came out this friday 6/15

*UPDATE 2* Confirmed: PS3 Firmware 1.81 available NOW with changelog

Posted Jun 15, 2007 at 07:59AM by Gino D.

Listed in: News, Firmware

Tags: XMB, PS2, HDMI, UK Turns out that PS3 FW 1.81 will indeed roll out this week. In fact, it will roll out tomorrow: June 15! How's that for some good news. And to think that FW 1.80 hasn't been around for a month yet.

The announcement was made by way of the official PlayStation blog, as posted by Eric Lempel. Included in the Firmware update will be a couple of improvements with regards to the RGB settings. Lempel writes:

In 1.80 we added an option to the XMB under settings allowing you to choose between RGB Full and Limited. Basically if you are connecting your PS3 to your TV using an HDMI cable, and if your TV supports RGB full range, the picture quality may be improved when this option is set to Full. Some of you pointed out that the Full setting would sometimes revert back to Limited and 1.81 will address this issue. Please keep in mind that this setting is only effective when the PS3 is connected to a TV using an HDMI cable.

More than this, the author of the blog entry drops a rather intriguing hint at what the devs are working on right now: improvements on PS2 compatibility. Is there something more to PS2 upscaling than we previously thought? Hmmm...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:PlayStation 3 Firmware 1.81 is now up! In fact, we're downloading it right now. We're not sure if this update is green for all regions, but so far it looks good on our end. How about yours? None of the official PlayStation portals have listed this update nor is a changelog present, but we'll update you all on that soon.

Thanks to Baz for the tip!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2: Like we said in the previous update, PlayStation 3 FW 1.81 is now live. Despite that, however, it's still unknown what are the real changes made in this upgrade. All of that is about to change as the official PlayStation site in UK posted the changelog for the said firmware.

Settings

The method of setting [RGB Full Range (HDMI)] under [Display Settings] has been improved.

Other

The stability of the network connection used during gameplay has been improved for some PlayStation 2 format software titles that support online gaming.

[Via PlayStation] Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Digg It! | Comments [36]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
looks like we're getting a new firmware soon :)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/07/20/.../#comment-10131

Wicked :D maybe we'll see this....

4p1trau.jpg

At ALL the E3 machines that I checked I can confirm this was shown on Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, LittleBigPlanet, PSN High Poker, Assassins Creed, L.A.I.R., Singstar. I can pretty much say, that most of the machines had it and weren't game specific.

Got this from Neogaf

its good to see about new firmware hopfully now some bugs will remove from new ps3

sorry for the again post it was a mistake

Edited by EddieS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...