[review] Thermalright XP-120 CPU Cooling Heatsink

i dont write reviews, but after dealing with this product i am very dissatisfied with it and am returning it at a loss. reading reviews before i bought it showed that it was able to cool the cpu without a fan which was the main purpose of my buy. newegg shipped in 2 days and i began to install

first, you cannot install this without taking the motherboard out. not because of the way you screw it in, but because the clips are designed poorly and take exsessive amounts of pressure to click togther. the pipes on the side make it even more difficult. they are obesely large and most motherboards contain capacitors in the area these pipes need. going to manufacturer's site, faq's for the product turned out to be 2 simple questions one of them being "will this fit in my motherboard?" the simple answer was to check the dimesions of the product. unfortunately, the dimentions only measure the heatsink its self and not the odd shaped pipes.

for fear of loosing money from returning it, i bent the capacitors a little and made room for this useless 'feature.' having the pipes shorter wouldve upped the capatibility rate alot, but again poor design is the culprit. once the heatsink was finally installed and everything reconnected again, i began temp testing.

with an x2 4200, i first began testing my temps in the bios. under no stress what-so-ever the temp was in the high 50's. so right away i had to include a 120mm fan. purpose defeated. once i started it up in the bios again to check temps the cpu averaged in the high 40's. again, this is idle temps.

just for kicks i started up the OS and checked temps with speedfan while doing simple tasks like unzipping and checking file integrity. cpu temp rose to high 50's and eventually my computer auto shutdown from my failsafe setting in the bios of 60 degrees. after checking the heatsick to make sure connection was good, which in fact it was because the 4 clips on it practically smash the life out of the processor. i ran some small tests and the same results occured.

so now, im willing to take at least a 20$ loss having to return it to newegg and paying the restocking fee. i have owned the product for a few hours and plan on returning it tomorrow. do not buy this poor product, save your money and buy something else.

post-155686-1176421231.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835109118

$49.99

umm...did you have any other air flow throughout the case? if so, what? what case? what thermal compound did you use?

sorry but I've used the copper version of this and it was very good in that particular setup

Lol, take notes of these:

1) Heatsinks are designed to have high pressure with the motherboard. Otherwise how do you think it's going to transfer heat? The tighter it is with the CPU, the better.

2) Most AMD motherboards require you to remove the motherboard in order to install. There's a very rare amount of heatsinks on AMD platform that utilizes the stock motherboard retention bracket. If you want to emphasize on stock mounting holes, many aftermarket heatsinks on the LGA775 socket are designed in this way. For S754/939, the Freezer 64 Pro from Arctic Cooling uses stock retention bracket.

3) It's your fault you didn't check compatibility, and it's almost impossible to design the pipes to accommodate everyone.

4) I don't recall reading about you applying thermal paste :huh:

what made you think you could use a heatsink with a modern cpu without a fan? you need some impressive case air flow to accomplish this, and expect your cpu temps to near the "danger zone" of 90c. also, sell it on ebay for nearly what you paid instead of taking the restocking hit.

I have this heatsink and it's great. A bit of arctic silver and a 120mm fan and I can get my athlon 64 3800 idling under 30?C. And this fan is by no means a high performance fan, it's designed to be quiet rather than have a high airflow.

with an x2 4200, i first began testing my temps in the bios. under no stress what-so-ever the temp was in the high 50's. so right away i had to include a 120mm fan. purpose defeated. once i started it up in the bios again to check temps the cpu averaged in the high 40's. again, this is idle temps.

iirc, this is a high performance heatsink, which is supposed to be installed with a fan in the first place.

like the rest have said. cant imagine you trying to install this thing without a fan. even one that has a low cfm is better than nothing. and the thermal paste, a must. from all we hav said, hope you have picked up on a few things. good luck.

Also, I'm using the Thermalright XP-90 on my old P4 machine, which is esentially a smaller version of the XP-120 and it has superb cooling.

Did you apply any TIM?

The XP-120 was never meant to be a passive heatsink. It does a terrible job passively, so what did you expect? Just because it's high performance using a high airflow fan, doesn't mean it should work well with no airflow.

Question: I don't see the word "Fan" in your post, so I bet you brought it without fan...

This is a HS that require a fan you know...