Vista Explorer memory leak

Well, here i was checking my email and i glance over to my sidebar and i notice my memory usage is up to 93%, not really likely for my 2gb of ram. So i do some searching and i discover that explorer is taking a HUGE chunk of ram, i end process and re run process and ram dropps to 28%..

this just started happening 3 days ago..

'

anyone else having this happen?

Well, here i was checking my email and i glance over to my sidebar and i notice my memory usage is up to 93%, not really likely for my 2gb of ram. So i do some searching and i discover that explorer is taking a HUGE chunk of ram, i end process and re run process and ram dropps to 28%..

this just started happening 3 days ago..

'

anyone else having this happen?

Nope just the normal vista memory usage

normal? haha, no way.. Vista uses in core 64-96Mb of RAM true tweaked and that is total with AERO and even with not touched just installed that would be around 431-480Mb max. (Ofcourse we all know M$ memory strategy is use it all and free if needed, but it ain't gonna use 93% from 2Gb hehe.. plus to consider paging file most be like ~3Gb in that) Got to be something else. 3 Days you say, sounds like time to vista starting it's optimize and compression of system files which would be normal although not still normal for memory usage. It will stop doing that after some time. Either way perhaps would be good to check Task manager what is taking that much memory? and perhaps just do a little "watch" what the system actually does when it loads up, what it loads up and so on.

Depends really ;) have you recently installed tones of new app's or placed alot of files on the computer? Windows Could be indexing them still if anything thats the only time your going to notice a spike in RAM usage. I have 1 GB RAM in this box and Vista is running perfect :) even with Windows Defender + Media Center running at the same time i don't notice a spike any my RAM Usage.

I have the same problem with IE in Vista, and I don't think it is normal. I reported this error to Microsoft and they are investigating. When i use IE in prolonged times It can takes 40% of my memory resources, the process can take up to 400mb, I close the IE and the memory return to its normal levels. I have a long time with this problem.

To the OP... Are you talking about IE or Explorer.exe?

In either case, it's probably an add-in causing the problem (like a toolbar, DreamScene beta, shell extension, etc).

Brandon, its Explorer.exe and i have no toolbars, business edition of vista so no dreamscene and no shell extentions.

Happens every once and a while, im sure its a leak.

No shell extensions? That seems unlikely these days. Do you have any Adobe products installed? Acrobat Reader? Flash? WinZip / WinRAR? Any video codecs? FFDshow? Those are all extensions that get loaded by the shell. Probably somebody isn't playing by the rules. Could even be a bad driver since some of those come with shell extensions these days. Not saying a leak in Explorer is impossible... but it's so incredibly unlikely that there is one of such significance, that the culprit is almost certainly some add-in.