Square Enix Confirms FFXIII Is Not Exclusive To PS3

So it's X360, not PC?

I don't believe it's definite, but there's really no reason not to have it on the 360, so speculation is saying it will be. We'll just have to wait and see.

You asked the same question in the "PS3 gets 2 360 games" thread. The issue with it is that exclusives sell consoles. Think Sonic or Mario. If you take away the exclusivity of playing specific games and add to that the fact that the games look the same on the 2 systems you pretty much have no reason (excluding watching movies) to purchase the more expensive console. Thus sales suffer and the more expensive console leaves the market.

Cloudstrife also mentioned that if you start porting everything, since the 2 systems are so different, you end up with a lowest common denominator game instead of a game that can take advantage of the system's strengths.

The only thing you people seemt o keep forgetting is this:

Game companies create games to sell games. Not to sell consoles or PC's.

When a title is as popular as Final Fantasy then the creator of the game would obviously want to make it available to more people. There are always going to be those people who are going to go either PS or Xbox, so if you exclusive that title to one or the other, you lose that audience. It's simply a matter of how much money can we make by going with one console vs going with 2 consoles. not to mention, with the poor sales figures for the PS3, why wouldn't Square-Enix want to multi platform? Does it make sense to go exclusive on a console that is currently #6 in sales? Obviously not.

The only thing you people seemt o keep forgetting is this:

Game companies create games to sell games. Not to sell consoles or PC's.

When a title is as popular as Final Fantasy then the creator of the game would obviously want to make it available to more people. There are always going to be those people who are going to go either PS or Xbox, so if you exclusive that title to one or the other, you lose that audience. It's simply a matter of how much money can we make by going with one console vs going with 2 consoles. not to mention, with the poor sales figures for the PS3, why wouldn't Square-Enix want to multi platform? Does it make sense to go exclusive on a console that is currently #6 in sales? Obviously not.

You're absolutely right, Spider_Man. My angle was from the point of view of the console manufacturers, which is why they buy studios. Sony would want to try to keep FF strictly on the Sony precisely because it's so popular. They may do that by offering money (the real reason game companies create games). I do believe that this time around Square is seeing a succesful console (the 360) go untapped by them and they want to change that.

• 2 weeks later...

From Gamespot's report on the Squeenix party, it's looking more and more like the main game(s) are PS3 exclusive, with spin-offs for PSP, DS, and mobile.

Not sure if anything from the FF13 universe is coming to 360 or Wii, no major announcements.

After the logo for Fabula Nova Crystallis--the overarching name for all Final Fantasy XII games--flashed on the screen, a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIII began. The trailer featured a woman named Lightning as she dispatched a series of opponents without breaking a virtual sweat. Afterwards, her companion--a blond man on a motorcycle--summoned a spirit--who looked like a biomechanical version of the Indian deity Shiva--from a crystal, before the trailer ended with a giant PlayStation 3 logo.

Then came a trailer for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the PS3 action game set in FFXIII same universe. It showed a hero sporting one of the series' trademark ornate coifs cutting through a throng of soldiers with a gigantic sword, aided by some complex martial arts moves. To the strains of melancholy music, he teleported amongst his opponents, avoiding rocket-propelled grenades and gunfire. As he finally emerged in a throne room to face off against a new opponent, the screen faded to the Final Fantasy Versus XIII logo.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6170645.html?...estnews;title;0

Well, for what it's worth, Square is making a new RPG for both the 360 and the PS3. As for FF13, they haven't said anything about a 360 version at their party. But that's moslty a Japan only thing, so I figure they'll push games for systems that sell better in japan at this point.

If there is any FF for the 360 I'd wait to hear about something at E3 or TGS which are big and make the news all around the world.

Well, for what it's worth, Square is making a new RPG for both the 360 and the PS3. As for FF13, they haven't said anything about a 360 version at their party. But that's moslty a Japan only thing, so I figure they'll push games for systems that sell better in japan at this point.

If there is any FF for the 360 I'd wait to hear about something at E3 or TGS which are big and make the news all around the world.

I would actually be suprised if none of the various games under the umbrella of FF13 comes to the 360, but I would be more suprised if it didn't come to the Wii in some form.

They did file for another trademark that's FF13 related, Heretics?? In the US around 2 months ago? Everyone was talking about maybe this being for the 360, but Square didn't talk about that game at their little party either. That's kinda odd though, as you'd expect them to. If this is the name of the 360 version of a FF13 game then, MS knows about it already I'm sure. IF this is also the case and MS knows, they'll probably want to hold off on talking about it until one of the 2 big game shows, E3 and TGS, where they can get the most bang out of the news. And probably ruin Sonys day also. =P

I'm a big FF fan, but I won't buy a PS3 just for that one game. I'll be quite content with Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey. So exclusive or not, I won't mind either way.