Ronaldo Wins PFA Player & Young Player of the Year Awards

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has been named both PFA Player and Young Player of the Year.

The Portuguese winger was widely expected to take the main award and his remarkable season continued as he scooped both awards on Sunday evening at the Grosvenor House Hotel.

Ronaldo becomes only the second player in history to achieve the remarkable feat, the other being Sky Sports' own Andy Gray - who won both awards some 30 years ago in 1977.

Ronaldo held off competition from Chelsea's Didier Drogba in second and team-mate Paul Scholes - who came third - to take the main award. Steven Gerrard, Ryan Giggs, and Cesc Fabregas were also in the running.

Ronaldo succeeds Gerrard and is the first United player to take the Player of the Year prize since Ruud van Nistelrooy in 2000.

In contrast, it is the third year in succession that a United player has taken the Young Player of the Year award - with team-mate Wayne Rooney winning the honour in 2005 and 2006.

Rooney was up for the award again, but he was beaten by Ronaldo as he also held off competition from Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), who came second, and Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur) in third.

Micah Richards (Manchester City) and Kevin Doyle (Reading) were also up for the award.

Well deserved in my opinion, the guy has been out of this world for Man Utd all season. No one more deserving to take the award from our Stevie G :).

Beat you again Damien :p

You just wait...you have to go to bed one day and when you do all the posts will be posted *evil laughter* :D

capturela0.jpg

That was the Premiership team of the year. Cant say I agree with all of them. VDS has been poor this year, James, Carson, Friedal and Foster have all been much better. Neville, Ferdinand and Evra have been crap, and where is Carragher :o?

Otherwise I agree.

WTF?!?...how come the back four is completely United I smell a conspiracy here :laugh:

I think Berbatov deserves to be there tho good to see him mentioned...

capturela0.jpg

That was the Premiership team of the year. Cant say I agree with all of them. VDS has been poor this year, James, Carson, Friedal and Foster have all been much better. Neville and Evra have been crap, and where is Carragher :o?

Otherwise I agree.

i wouldn't say VDS has been poor all year, recently yes though. What happened to the so called ?50m world class keeper called Cech?:pp I agree with James/Friedal though

Evra certainly hasn't been crap, in fact he's got a lot better compared to last season, similar to Vidic. Neville hasn't been crap either, i'd say just his normal self except for being injured, and when will you liverpool stop going on about Carragher?:pp

Kinda surprised that there aren't more of the player of the year candidates in there as well, surely if they are good enough for that they should be in the team of the year?

Am I the only one who thinks it is stupid for the same player to win both awards in the same season?

it'd be more stupid for him to have won the normal player of year but not the young player of the year

capturela0.jpg

That was the Premiership team of the year. Cant say I agree with all of them. VDS has been poor this year, James, Carson, Friedal and Foster have all been much better. Neville, Ferdinand and Evra have been crap, and where is Carragher :o?

Otherwise I agree.

Congratulations to Cristiano Ronaldo, who thoroughly deserved both wins! That said, I don't quite agree with the Premiership team of the year. I'm a Man United fan but I'm surprised to find Ferdinand, Van Der Sar and Gary Neville in there. I would have thought either Ben Foster or David James to be in between the posts. As for Ferdinand, he's only good when Vidic is playing, while Neville has been injured for some time already. I thought Micah Richards had a good season.

Other than that, I agree with the team.

Scirwode