Transparent, see through, blurred, GLASS in VISTA BASIC!

It's not some resource or registry key you can hack... it's tied to the SKU just like DreamScene and other capabilities. If you want transparency, don't buy Home Basic. Personally I don't even see why people care that much. I sometimes think it looks better when it's opaque.

Also, people were confused because of your thread title, which should have read "...Glass in Home Basic" - since Vista Basic isn't a SKU, it's a theme.

I agree, I can't stand completely clear glass, usually I have it on Graphite, only real neutral color Vista features, the rest are way too flamboyant.

try this, found it on a website

To enable Windows Aero desktop theme:

1. Click on Vista Start button, then enter ?regedit? into Instant Search box. Click on the registry editor found in the search results list.
   2. Navigate to the following registry key and select (highlight) the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
   3. In the right pane, you should see there are 2 value names, namely Composition and Composition Policy. Modify and edit the value date of Composition to 1 and Composition Policy to 2.
   4. Restart the Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager by issuing the following command in a command prompt window with administrative privileges:

net stop uxsms

and then,

net start uxsms

Alternatively, you can also use Services applet in Control Panel to restart the DWM service.
   5. Reboot Windows Vista Home Basic system.

try this, found it on a website

To enable Windows Aero desktop theme:

1. Click on Vista Start button, then enter ?regedit? into Instant Search box. Click on the registry editor found in the search results list.
   2. Navigate to the following registry key and select (highlight) the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
   3. In the right pane, you should see there are 2 value names, namely Composition and Composition Policy. Modify and edit the value date of Composition to 1 and Composition Policy to 2.
   4. Restart the Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager by issuing the following command in a command prompt window with administrative privileges:

net stop uxsms

and then,

net start uxsms

Alternatively, you can also use Services applet in Control Panel to restart the DWM service.
   5. Reboot Windows Vista Home Basic system.

This only enables the "Standard" theme in Vista Home Basic. not the "Aero" theme. But I thank you for the help.

I am actually very close to getting it done. I have enabled transparency in the taskbar now. but still only when a window is maximized.

I have been very busy with work lately, but I will return to this as soon as possible.

thanx

I also have the transparent, title bar, exactly like Aero, but only when maximized. Interestingly enough, WMP has all the Aero effects of Vista Premium now, again only when maximized.

Everyone keeps saying it is impossible, but if the Aero effect works right now when maximized, then Basic is capable. We just need to figure out how.

post-21161-1178743807_thumb.jpg

I also have the transparent, title bar, exactly like Aero, but only when maximized. Interestingly enough, WMP has all the Aero effects of Vista Premium now, again only when maximized.

Everyone keeps saying it is impossible, but if the Aero effect works right now when maximized, then Basic is capable. We just need to figure out how.

Nothing there shows that it's vista home basic?

To me, if you want glass, buy home premium. Its what? ?10 more than home basic?

Nothing there shows that it's vista home basic?

To me, if you want glass, buy home premium. Its what? ?10 more than home basic?

Indeed, why waste your precious time doing something that is pointless when you can just add a little bit more for the same features?

Scirwode

I assure you, it's Vista Home Basic. Also, I already have Home Basic, upgrading costs $79.00

Here's another screenshot for the doubters. I am just curious why I can get the Aero effect when windows are maximized. Supposedly it is impossible.

post-21161-1178906178_thumb.jpg

Your screenshots are only showing Windows Media Player with Aero Glass.

The Windows UI is just plain Aero.

Sigh....

Read the post. All Windows have Aero Glass when maximized. WMP is maximized in the photo, the other window is not.

If Home Basic is CAPABLE of Aero Glass when maximized, then it is CAPABLE of Aero Glass.

If it is CAPABLE of Aero Glass, then there must be a way to enable it when the windows are not maximized.

Follow?

Sigh....

Read the post. All Windows have Aero Glass when maximized. WMP is maximized in the photo, the other window is not.

If Home Basic is CAPABLE of Aero Glass when maximized, then it is CAPABLE of Aero Glass.

If it is CAPABLE of Aero Glass, then there must be a way to enable it when the windows are not maximized.

Follow?

You know its funny because in Home Premium where Aero is enabled, on maximization the window loses transparency. Unless you've patched it with VistaGlazz . :rofl:

Exactly.

Sooooo....

Can anyone explain why my Home Basic has the capability to have Aero Glass on maximized windows? Like I said several times, this shows Basic is capable, so why can't we make it work all the time?

I have to make some notes for the next version of VistaGlazz ;)

Is it really possible to have transparent Windows in Basic?

I don't have nearly the coding skills that you have, And I have found so mutch evidence that whatever you did to the maximized windowframe, you could do to the non-maximized windowframe. it is code just like the maximized window was. I just had to put a ";" in front of that line for it to ignore the background trick. I haven't had time to venture further into it lately. I am having trouble just keeping this machine stable. When I can afford to drop 2g of ram into this notebook. I will pick the project back up.

If any of you want to know if there is any difference in code for my Vista Home Basic machine, from your own Vista Ultimate. Please e-mail me and I will try to help if at all possible.

Thanx

It's not impossible, it's the same DWM that's in Home Premium. It's just coded such that the capability is disabled on that SKU, essentially the same way Ultimate Extras are coded to only work on Ultimate, etc. It's not a registry tweak. If you want Home Premium, buy Home Premium. Stop trying to figure out how to steal features you didn't pay for.

Stop trying to figure out how to steal features you didn't pay for.

Thank you - I have often thought this. If you wanted Ultimate, get Ultimate. Otherwise, live with the decision you made.

This is considered Warez, why? You are trying to circumvent and get access to features that you are not supposed to access! If you want Glass, you should have gotten the correct version.

Discussion of warez on this board is not tolerated. You should be warned and this thread should be closed.

Then by your standards this whole website can be torn down, because hacking the DLL files to enable third party themes = warez

What your say is like saying, if your on XP and you want more themes, go buy XP Plus...

If I could pay Microsoft a few quid just to enable transparency on Home Basic, I would!! But Microsoft dont offer a pick 'n' mix. You have to buy the full package with all the extra crap which I dont want.

Zyphrax - put it in VistaGlazz, make two versions or something, just show us it's possible.

Edited by DieseL`

What I mean by "trying to circumvent and get access to features that you are not supposed to access", I mean getting features you haven't paid for that you can get by paying more! Vista Ultimate doesn't give you custom theme support that only DLL patching can do, so that's legal.

Then by your standards this whole website can be torn down, because hacking the DLL files to enable third party themes = warez

What your say is like saying, if your on XP and you want more themes, go buy XP Plus...

If I could pay Microsoft a few quid just to enable transparency on Home Basic, I would!! But Microsoft dont offer a pick 'n' mix. You have to buy the full package with all the extra crap which I dont want.

Zyphrax - put it in VistaGlazz, make two versions or something, just show us it's possible.

If you can't live with it, revert to XP. Use Windows Blinds to get transparency in XP. That is more of your "pick 'n' mix" .

Ah well, when you put it that way I might leave it out of VistaGlazz :)

Don't want to make Warez out of it.

(Y) Don't do it. It comes with legal hassles.

I don't have XP to revert to, if I was going to buy XP I would just buy Vista...

And when I was talking about patching DLLs I wasn't just talking about Vista.... XP Plus anyone?

Also WindowBlinds enables transparency.. is that Warez? (I haven't made my decision on WindowBlinds yet so dont bother telling me)

If no-one is going to try and enable transparency for Home Basic then someone atleast make some themes that work on Home Basic!!! And I'm not talking about the "Basic" half of the theme, I'm talking about a full blown theme that doesn't rely on transparent Windows/Taskbar to look good.

• 2 weeks later...
How did you do that? and where have your window shadows gone?

did you watch the vid?

I don't know why the shadows are gone??? (watch the vid for a better understanding...)maybe because to get the windows transparent the windows have to be maximized therefor after the bug there's no shadows because maximized windows don't have shadows?