Transparent, see through, blurred, GLASS in VISTA BASIC!

That is Basic! and hes not running DWM.

Its a simple Binary edit to the .msstyle which makes the Maximised title bar transparent by changeing a value from FF to 00.

It must be in that theme your using :)

I also "think" the Vista Glazz Patcher gives this effect :)

Um, with all due respect this is quite meaningless. The transparency is the least appealing feature of the aero, if you could also get fade effects, live thumbnails, window shadows etc. that would be reasonable but just the transparency, I just don't think all these efforts worth it.

Um, with all due respect this is quite meaningless. The transparency is the least appealing feature of the aero, if you could also get fade effects, live thumbnails, window shadows etc. that would be reasonable but just the transparency, I just don't think all these efforts worth it.

People are different. Welcome to Earth.

• 5 months later...

Hey soz for bringing up an old thread. I have been using the glazz / pitaschio combination with satisfactory results by using the mouse wheel to adjust the transparency of windows. Here I was just wondering, is there another free program like pitaschio but which will remember the transparency of applications once their windows are set so that they would not have to be manually adjusted each time? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

has any movements been made in getting full aero glass working in vista basic ? there has got to be something as simple as a registry tweak or something.

I think all is going well in this matter. and this way doesn't infringe on anything that Microsoft has built in. this uses a function that they overlooked.

Here is a screen shot for all of you that still doubt Vista Basic Home can't do transparency.

All we have to do now is build a sidebar widget that maximizes and then changes the maximized size to the windows original size. We need to make this an automated process. that takes every new window and performs this trick. without you having to set it manually.

CHEERS!!

how did you get vista basic to look so transparent ? we need links man, ive been trying to do this all day long.

has any movements been made in getting full aero glass working in vista basic ? there has got to be something as simple as a registry tweak or something.

This is a joke, right?

Funny how this thread has like 50 "new" [and even 1-post-wonders] members posting. What are the chances that it's the same guy?

Here's a tip, rather than spending hours doing your amazing coding that has changed the world so that everyone will now go and buy Home Basic and use your skills to enable it to use aero.

Why not go out and work for like say...a day? And upgrade to home premium if you wanted Aero that badly...

Anyways...congrats on your achievement. Now go get yourself a cookie...

Edit: Why was a thread that was almost a year old bumped? Just noticed it. Strangely enough nothing was heard from the poster ever again...50 bucks he took that picture in home premium and used photoshop to change premium into basic...

Oh yeah, this thread. I remember it was possible but not if you know what I mean. Basically a glitch made it semi-seem like Basic had Aero capabilities. I'm pretty sure if Microsoft didn't intend it as a feature they wouldn't hide it behind a registry tweak.

I remember there used to be a working reg patch for un-supported graphics cards (and in-built) back when vista was in beta, but with RC2 (or maybe it wasn't until RTM) Msfc stopped it from being possible.

Oh, and winmatrix is currently researching getting aero on basic.

(I think it's still going)

Panarchy

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To everyone out there, here's probably what you need to know:

Based on all the scripts, it is probably as simple as changing the registry or something, to enable a transparent/translucent effect on the taskbar and windows even when it is minimized.

But you see, Vista has premium so that we will pay extra $$$ for the transparent effect.

It's really nice to see that people really wanted this (me included) and I was personally really wanting the transparent effect.

However, here's the reply from VistaGlazz themselves when prompted to create an application like this:

Windows Vista Home Basic isn't supported by VistaGlazz and I don't think that it will happen in the future. If we were to allow transparency in Windows Vista Home Basic we might run into problems with Microsoft. Why would people still buy one of the more expensive editions if Home Basic already supports transparency. Thank you for the feature request though.
If we were to add support for Home Basic, we might get in trouble with Microsoft. Because we would make the Vista Home Premium and Ultimate editions less attractive.

Yeah, anyone wanna get a lawsuit from one of the World's richest companies?

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I just found this:

http://marxo.deviantart.com/art/Glass-in-H...h-Hex-130316210

Anyone care to test it? Can't test myself since I don't have Vista Basic.

It works. I enabled this on my theme without knowing how and killermole23 searched through my theme and found out how I did it and released a how-to guide for VSB while marxo adapted that guide so that all you need is a hex editor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I Don't know what is wrong with the message I am trying to convey here.

I Use Vista Home Basic.

I loaded a theme in Vista Basic that adds transperency to an OS that does not support it. "Glass" is a feature of Vista Premuim and Ultimate. Not BASIC.

So I posted about my find. I even included a screenshot.

And you just don't get what I am saying.....

I want to find out how to change the theme so that the parts of code that were left out that made the WindowBorders transparent when maximized, also do so when the window is not maximized. so that transparency works in Vista Basic.

Hey Electrik Jesus,

download the theme files and copy them to "c:\windows\resources\themes\" .

After downloading, go to google and search for VistaGlazz. Download it and install it to your computer. Then run VistaGlazz and patch your System and Theme files with the program (You may have to restart your computer, but i didn't and it worked well). I used this myself and then you can use other custom styles and select the transparency theme like this: Right click desktop -> Personalize -> Window Color and Appearance -> Open classic appearance properties for more color options. Then try to apply the styles from the listbox and see which of them gives you the transparency.

I hope this helped...

If write...