weird thing my new xbox keeps doing

i brought my new xbox 360 as a late birthday present for myself last thursday [thrusday the 19th of april 2007] and when i got it home, i hooked it straight up to xbox live, the tv etc. i started playing through gears of war and after a while it kicked me off telling me "please clean the disc, unable to read" so i thought thats was weird, so i took out the disc and saw no dust or finger prints or owt on it. so i started up again and it does it every now and tehn and i'm pretty sure it shouldnt be doing this.

any ideas what i could do to try and resolve this? its only 7 days old :(

well the 7 day exchange on the recepit has run out =[

i guess i could just try and wing it and explain it to the ppl and try. i hope they let me keep the hard drive if they exchange the console as i've just sorted out all the xbox live shizz ?? and done loads of achievments.

erm, UK law says you have to have a 1 year warranty one way or another, try exchange at store, if not you'll prob need to send it in for a service.

i had the same problem with my 360...it's currently headed to the repair center.

like the person above me said, if you can't exchange it at the store, call up microsoft and get em to repair it for you.

well the 7 day exchange on the recepit has run out =[

i guess i could just try and wing it and explain it to the ppl and try. i hope they let me keep the hard drive if they exchange the console as i've just sorted out all the xbox live shizz ?? and done loads of achievments.

7 Days, that sounds like GameStation, right?

Take it back ASAP and get the machine switched over. You have a 1 year warranty on the machine regardless of any returns policy offered by the retailer, and anyway I think consoles are except from their 7 day returns policy anyhow, they were certainly except from GAME's 10 day return policy before they did away with it. Either way they should replace it for you so long as you have valid proof of purchase, which means your receipt, you still have it right? Without going into specifics regarding retail law it does not matter that you purchased it over 7 hours ago let alone 7 days ago as long as it is still within warranty and you haven't tampered with any warranty seals on the machine they should replace the machine without quibble.

Oh and GAME is bette;);)

I have this problem but I haven't sent in my console yet. I have another year or two left on my warrantee so I'm holding onto it until I really need to replace it. It works if I just shut down the console and start it up again. It mainly happens for Gears of War for some reason, but not all the time. I'd say just try to get it replaced.

I have the same problem but I'm holding out till BenQ drives are more common and possibly .65nm chips.

If you plan to send it in to Microsoft, then don't expect any .65nm chips even if they are released for the new consoles. They keep a special batch of old consoles just for replacements. A trade-in at the store would do you better I would think, if you have the warrantee from the store.

I had this problem with my 1st 360. I got it used, but I got the original reciept with it and it was only 2 months old. I just brought it back to the place and told them the problem. They just opened a new one and replaced the console for me. If they won't do that for you after only 7 days, I suggest you take your business elsewhere for future purchases.

is this happening in most games? if not, then there's quirks to any machine. they come and go and do not mean it's on the way to the crapper.

I had the same problem with mine, eventually it wouldn't recognise discs at all....definitely send it back!

7 Days, that sounds like GameStation, right?

Take it back ASAP and get the machine switched over. You have a 1 year warranty on the machine regardless of any returns policy offered by the retailer, and anyway I think consoles are except from their 7 day returns policy anyhow, they were certainly except from GAME's 10 day return policy before they did away with it. Either way they should replace it for you so long as you have valid proof of purchase, which means your receipt, you still have it right? Without going into specifics regarding retail law it does not matter that you purchased it over 7 hours ago let alone 7 days ago as long as it is still within warranty and you haven't tampered with any warranty seals on the machine they should replace the machine without quibble.

Oh and GAME is better ;)

yep, was gamestation. i only brought it from there as i had a credit note for trading in games, and tehy had a good easter deal going hahaha

well i'll go in there tonight to talk about it, if they'll take it and exchange then i'll take the console in the morning.

if they wnt then i'll just take my future buisness elsewhere *coughs*GAME*coughs*

I have this problem but I haven't sent in my console yet. I have another year or two left on my warrantee so I'm holding onto it until I really need to replace it. It works if I just shut down the console and start it up again. It mainly happens for Gears of War for some reason, but not all the time. I'd say just try to get it replaced.

yea, its only gears of war... its always when i am getting into it as well.

is this happening in most games? if not, then there's quirks to any machine. they come and go and do not mean it's on the way to the crapper.

its just the one game at the moment but the ither thing is, as i've mentioned up in a previous post, that its also scratched my crackdown disc and its now got a big line going all the way around... the game is stilll playable but i'm worried about what might happen to other discs and wether this one will crash and stop playing when i get to the later ares of the game

Isn't it 14 day exchange in the UK? :unsure:

well i looked at the receipt again an ditsays up the top

"7 day echange/credit on unwanted

refund on faulty items only"

so hopefully they exchange it because its a faulty item but i don't know yet =[

Gamestation are bloody crap for refunds, in my experience at least. I took back a game I bought, that literally looked like someone had grouted their bathroom tiles with. It was a mess, but the just wouldn't take it back because when they booted it up it got to the title screen, without testing anything else, so of course, it must be perfect!

I never buy anything from there anymore. If they test it and it doesn't go wrong there and then, they probably won't refund. I mean, they will after a bit of persistent, but they'll probably be reluctant at first.

Gamestation are bloody crap for refunds, in my experience at least. I took back a game I bought, that literally looked like someone had grouted their bathroom tiles with. It was a mess, but the just wouldn't take it back because when they booted it up it got to the title screen, without testing anything else, so of course, it must be perfect!

I never buy anything from there anymore. If they test it and it doesn't go wrong there and then, they probably won't refund. I mean, they will after a bit of persistent, but they'll probably be reluctant at first.

well i'm gonna try tomorow. didnt get a chance to go there today. they bloody better do summat or i'm just not going to send any of my mates there to buy stuff. i'll put everyone off it =]

i know alot of ppl :p

Yeah, you might be lucky and they'll refund you no questions, but just be persistent if they don't, they'll have to give you exchange/refund. Maybe I was just unlucky in my experience with them.

Good luck! It's a shame 360's are so failure prone.

thats bs.

under UK law the retailer has to refund or replace faulty goods within 6 months. Within 1 year the shop has to at least repair it.

so if they don't take it back, they are breaking the law.

If they refuse, make a fuss. The last thing shops want is someone making a fuss, so they'll likely give you what you want (which you are legally entitled to anyway).

If they keep on refusing, get to speak with the store manager, and explain that its fault within 6 months, so they have to replace or refund it, or they are breaking the law.

If all else fails, threaten to take it to trading standards and contact Watchdog.

To be fair, I never said they wouldn't, just they might be reluctant at first, but they'll have to give in eventually.

sorry, should have made it clear, I wasn't aiming that at your comment, I was aiming it at Gamestations 7 day thing. If something is faulty within 6 months, they have to refund or replace it. Simple as. (of course, unless you caused the damage yourself, or if the retailer pointed out that the product was faulty when you bought it, or if the damage is caused by normal wear and tear - none of which apply here).