[NFL] Injured dogs found on Vick's property in raid

SMITHFIELD, Va. (April 26, 2007) -- Police conducting a drug investigation raided a house owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured and emaciated.

Police also found items associated with dog fighting.

State Police Sgt. D.S. Carr said Vick's relative, Davon Boddie, 26, lives in the house. Vick owns the property, but doesn't live there and wasn't present when a search warrant was executed in a drug investigation April 25, Carr said.

Boddie was arrested outside a nightclub by Hampton police April 20 on charges of distribution of marijuana and possession with intent to distribute. The search warrant was executed by a multijurisdictional task force in a narcotics probe.

More than 60 dogs were found in three buildings. Some appeared malnourished, scarred and injured, officials said.

Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States, said the group has "heard troubling reports for some time that Michael Vick has been involved in organized dog fighting, and we fear that this investigation may validate that very disturbing allegation."

"We urge law enforcement to aggressively investigate this matter, and we further believe that anyone who harbors dogs for the purpose of fighting, deserves to be fully prosecuted for their crimes," Pacelle said in a statement. "Dog fighting is a barbaric activity that causes immense animal suffering and fosters violence in our communities. Our nation should have a zero tolerance policy for any form of staged animal fighting."

The Humane Society said dog fighting is illegal nationwide and a felony in 48 states, including both Virginia and Georgia.

The animal rights group PETA has asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend Vick pending the investigation and "to kick him off the team if it is found that dogs on Vick's property were neglected or used for fighting."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/10151757

If Vick is behind this, I hope he gets kicked and made fun of for the rest of his life. He's not that good of a QB to begin with.

• 2 months later...
Atlanta Falcons star quarterback Michael Vick was indicted by a federal grand jury Tuesday on charges associated with dogfighting, according to local affiliate WAVY.com.

The jury in Richmond, Va., indicted Vick on one count of conspiracy to transport dogs over state lines for dogfighting, the news outlet reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289693,00.html

Vick indicted in dogfighting probe Click here to find out more!

NFL.com wire reports

RICHMOND, Va. (July 17, 2007) -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges related to illegal dogfighting.

Vick and three others were charged with violating federal laws against competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting and conducting the enterprise across state lines.

The indictment alleges that Vick and his co-defendants began sponsoring dogfighting in early 2001, the former Virginia Tech star's rookie year with the Falcons.

It accuses Vick, Purnell A. Peace, Quanis L. Phillips and Tony Taylor of "knowingly sponsoring and exhibiting an animal fighting venture," of conducting a business enterprise involving gambling, as well as buying, transporting and receiving dogs for the purposes of an animal fighting venture.

Telephone messages left at the offices and home of Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, were not immediately returned.

A woman who answered the phone at the home of Vick's mother said the family knew nothing about the charges.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/10259637

oh frack that, he's not going anywhere.

Oh he's going somewhere. He's going to prision for a long time. The FBI has a 95% conviction rate, so there's little chance he'll be found not guilty. The question is how long will he be in prision. The max sentence I believe is 6 years. His football career is gone, no doubt about it.

:angry: :crazy: :angry:

I truly hope he gets the max sentence. It is despicable for any human being to be involved in such actions, never mind a millionaire.

I truly hope he gets the max sentence. It is despicable for any human being to be involved in such actions, never mind a millionaire.

Im very much with larry here.

But, id like to strip him rub a pork chop on his balls and throw him into a den with 6 rotweilers that havent been fed for a week.

My money's on the dogs.

Oh he's going somewhere. He's going to prision for a long time. The FBI has a 95% conviction rate, so there's little chance he'll be found not guilty. The question is how long will he be in prision. The max sentence I believe is 6 years. His football career is gone, no doubt about it.

Personally kill several dogs by your own hand, let dozens of others die in the ring, ruin the surviving dogs so they will all have to be put down - MAX 6 yrs in jail.

Kill one human - 30 yrs to death.

I'm not saying that humans and dogs are equal, but there is something seriously wrong with the system if he only gets 6 years.

Personally kill several dogs by your own hand, let dozens of others die in the ring, ruin the surviving dogs so they will all have to be put down - MAX 6 yrs in jail.

Kill one human - 30 yrs to death.

I'm not saying that humans and dogs are equal, but there is something seriously wrong with the system if he only gets 6 years.

Only get 6 years? He may not get any jail time at all.

jesus people accused doesn't mean he did it. let all the facts come out before you judge somebody. if he actually did it by his own hands he should face the penality, if he just owned the land knew of dog fighting but didn't know about killing thats a penality too but should be less severe. if he didn't do it, let the man be and don't stalk him for the rest of his career with this. Ron Mexico deserves a chance too.

If Johnnie Cochran were still alive, all Vick would have to do is hire him and claim that "the leash doesn't fit" and he'll be let off. Years later, when he runs out of money, he could write a highly controversial book about how he did actually do it.

PETA is asking for an immediate suspension of Michael Vick while the league is taking an innocent until proven guilty approach. PETA is pointing out that the NFL didn't take that approach with Adam "Pacman" Jones who was suspended prior to his day(s) in court.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-p...p&type=lgns

Obviously, by now Vick has been "temporarily" suspended by being told to stay out of camp. But the primary difference is that Jones was a habitual violator and this is Vick's first official legal trouble.

i am really eager to hear today (hopefully) about the plea bargain on of his co-defendants worked out. Doesn't look good for Vick...

The Vick brothers are complete ZEROS, i hope he goes down and looses his career. Never like the guy and felt he was overrated, im glad hes getting into all of this trouble.

The Vick brothers are complete ZEROS, i hope he goes down and looses his career. Never like the guy and felt he was overrated, im glad hes getting into all of this trouble.

I always liked watching him play. I thought he was a great athlete, and before this, I just assumed that his brother was a bad seed. I guess it runs in the family. What a bunch of trash....

• 3 weeks later...

Ookie to plead guilty.

Lawyer: Vick will plead guilty to dogfighting charges

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) ? Michael Vick's lawyer said Monday the NFL star will plead guilty to federal dogfighting conspiracy charges, putting the Atlanta Falcons quarterback's career in jeopardy and leaving him subject to a possible prison term.

The offense is punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines most likely would call for less. Vick's plea hearing is Aug. 27.

Lead defense attorney Billy Martin said Vick reached an agreement with federal prosecutors after consulting with his family over the weekend.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made," Martin said in a statement. "Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter."

Martin later told The Associated Press he could not divulge any specifics of the plea agreement or how much time Vick can expect to serve in prison.

Here an editorial I thought I'd share:

So Michael Vick has copped a guilty plea in a deal for a reduced sentence on charges of transporting dogs over state lines for illegal dogfighting activities.

The star quarterback will reportedly serve 12 to 18 months in jail as part of the agreement if the judge accepts the deal, and his attorney, Billy Martin, said Vick's camp was awaiting word from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on the future of his football career.

Future career?

Who is going to tune in to watch Vick throw a football ever again? I don't care if Vick has paid his dues to society, I for one won't be watching this guy play the game after he's set free.

Millions of kids grow up watching NFL games with their family and friends, and like it or not, they are influenced by the on-the-field AND off-the-field behavior of their football heroes.

No parent in his right mind should let their children root for this guy. Vick is a cruel, vicious dog-killer.

And what of the gambling allegations leveled against him? Do you think prosecutors have agreed to overlook those allegations ? which, at least to Vick, are even more important than the animal cruelty charges ? as part of the guilty plea arrangement?

Of course they will.

You see, the NFL bans any player associated with gambling activities, and the other two defendants in the case have reportedly told prosecutors that Vick fully funded gambling associated with the dogfighting ring, and that he once even delivered a "book bag" filled with $23,000 in cash after one of his dogs lost a fight.

Vick's career would be kaput if he were indicted on gambling charges. So something tells me Vick and his legal team would take a guilty plea only if gambling were not part of the indictment against him.

How convenient. It's also a bit confusing how it's OK in the NFL to be a felon, but not a gambler ? but maybe it's just me.

I don't know Michael Vick, but I do know that even after serving his time, the man doesn't belong on national television.

I'm not saying that he should be denied the right to earn a living, however.

If the NFL wants to let some team pay him for his services, that's all well and good, but that team shouldn't be allowed to appear on television, where millions of people have to relive those images of bloodied and mutilated dogs, with their ears, noses and faces chewed off.

Now, I've heard both sides of this argument debated over the past few weeks.

Some people say that no matter how cruel Vick's crime against animals is, dogs have no souls and do not go to heaven. Therefore, the amount of outrage, some say, was unwarranted.

On the other side, critics ? me included ? would like to see Vick himself thrown to a pack of hungry, killer-trained dogs, like some of the pets that are kidnapped by dogfighting purveyors for training purposes, and see how the guy who takes to the field all padded up with helmet and shoulder pads handles a little tooth-to-skin combat.

Or better yet, let's let him play quarterback for the Falcons, and electrocute him the first time they lose.

Plead out all you want, Vick, but no matter how much time passes, people won't forget the kind of person you are.

Americans love a comeback story. Just not yours.

News Source: FOXNews.com

Man that guys life SUCKSSSSS. From a rich, millionaire quarterback, to maybe never getting to play the game again, and spend over a year in prison. Wtf...

And I'm not even that appauled at the charges. Bad yes, but not as irate as the rest of America.

And I'm not even that appauled at the charges. Bad yes, but not as irate as the rest of America.

Not as irate as the rest of America? What does that mean? This guy killed animals in horrible, horrible ways. How can you say that's not appauling? Have you seen the pictures? Maybe you should take a look at them, see how appauled you are then.