Sven: I was a very popular England manager

Sven-Goran Eriksson believes England fans feel little animosity towards him despite his unsuccessful tenure and off-field problems.

Former boss Eriksson bowed out after last summer's World Cup in Germany where England, among the pre-tournament favourites, spectacularly underperformed before defeat by Portugal in the quarter-finals.

But the Swede, who remains in the market for a new job, has never doubted his ability as a manager and believes he still has the support of his former public.

'I have always been able to do this job,' he told Sunday Times Magazine.

'Before England, I had never been sacked in my life. I don't sit here pining about it, but I loved being a manager and I am still young enough to do the job.

'For the first few nights back in Sweden, I couldn't sleep and couldn't really stop thinking about what had happened. It wasn't like I was in a depression but it was a recurring thought.

'I couldn't talk about the World Cup and haven't spoken about it until now. We should have done better, I am absolutely convinced of that.'

He added: 'I've never heard a bad word during six years of travelling around the country. Everyone has always been polite to me. Not even after the defeat to Portugal.

'If I land at Heathrow today people still want my autograph, which is nice, and a lot of them say `Sven, you did a good job'.'

i wouldn't want his autograph

I don't mind him, he had a good record with England, except for when it really mattered which was the tournaments.

He still masterminded the 5-1 win over Germany though, and that will go down in history.

And herein lies the problem with England - we glorify one-offs (1966, the 5-1 under Sven) rather than playing consistently well.

We are a very able team, with some great talent - but it's lacking consistency!

meh at least he was good overall (i.e we rarely lost a game, except for when we went out of tournaments) which is more than I can say for the current manager

And herein lies the problem with England - we glorify one-offs (1966, the 5-1 under Sven) rather than playing consistently well.

Well said. :yes:

Add to that the "Superstar Syndrome" I've always felt that on their day the other home nations (Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland and even Rep. of Ireland) can play much better than England as a team. It's on very rare occasions that England have ever gelled well together. The last time I saw it happen on a near consistant basis was Euro 96. We had a superb squad, superb manager and played great football. If El Tel had remained in charge, we could have had a decent shot at winning France 98. Instead we got Glenn Hoddle, and it's been downhill ever since! Sure we beat the German's 5-1 in their back yard, but they still qualified for World Cup 2002, and got further than us (Final, lost vs. Brazil 2-0) so, other than bragging rights, what use was that. England have never really come up trumps when it mattered.

I feel that England will never get anywhere until they hire a decent manager that doesn't give a toss who the "big names" are, and has the balls to control them. My choices would be either Jose Mourinho or Gus Hiddink.

[sarcasm]

Not Steve McClaren who had the most successful tenure at Middlesborough and brought home so much success and no humiliation (Sevilla 4-0, in a UEFA Cup Final?!?!)

[/sarcasm]

I didn't mind sven he did well where it was needed like in the major tournaments I just feel he was like |Rapture| said he was the tabloids bitch just like McClaren is now...its probably the toughest job in English football.