Upload to two LAN devices simultaneously

In my work I need to flash software applications to flow computers from my laptop. Currently I need to do each one individually using in-house software. Which takes time if you have 15 FC?s to do.

Im wondering if there might be a way to flash all of them at the same time by the use of some kind of exotic networking trick? E.g if I was flashing 172.16.106.30 and all the way to 172.16.106.39, I have been flashing each FC individually. Now the FC?s are all networked, so is it possible to do something like 172.16.106.30-39 or something like that?

Any ideas?

send the packets to network broadcast address 172.16.106.255 for example

all the computers in the network will receive it..be careful with subneting

interesting, sounds ideal. what do you mean be careful wit subneting?

With subnetting, the broadcast address might not end with 255 like in the example.

Btw, if you use broadcast, you will send the data to every single computer that's on the network!

Be aware that you might put a lot of stress on the network in this way!

With subnetting, the broadcast address might not end with 255 like in the example.

Btw, if you use broadcast, you will send the data to every single computer that's on the network!

Be aware that you might put a lot of stress on the network in this way!

exactly! everything i was going to explain =P

thank you

ok, well i tried it i.e. ( 172.16.106.255) . nothing happened. the flow computers are set up with their IP addy, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

im using this hub to test it on two flow computers. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pr...icg8x/index.htm

any suggestions?

So you tried sending the data to the broadcast and nothing happened?

(Sure you took the right broadcast? Take the IP of one of the computers and replace the last octet with 255 (ex.: 192.168.2.128 => 192.168.2.255), that's the broadcast...)

well the computers should receive the packets, maybe they're not configured to handle the traffic that way

Could be.

If sending software to the flow computers is a two way process (if the flow computer answers) things might get a bit messy.

(Uploading software gets a bit confused?)

If this doesn't work, you could still try the multicast option, but if your software doesn't natively support it, I personally wouldn't fiddle around with it to much.

this is a screen of the software i use to flash the flow computers. the flow computers themselves are configurable, through IP addy, subet mask, gateway addy etc. when i tpyed "172.16.106.255" in the hostname, the programe just hung for a while, then said no response from the host! however, i tried pinging 127.16.106.255, and i got a response. hmmmm!

post-45041-1178130486.jpg

when i tpyed "172.16.106.255" in the hostname, the programe just hung for a while, then said no response from the host!

then it's a 2 way transfer, probably TCP, which means the flow computers will need to be configured explicitely to reply to your machine, not the source address in the packets

this is a big problem because that's at programming level

however, i tried pinging 127.16.106.255, and i got a response. hmmmm!

only one? =P

if lots of pcs were in your subnet, you would get DDoS'ed =P

it's a smurf attack, sort of =P