SAMSUNG Black/Silver 32" 16:9 8ms Wide HDTV with Integrated ATSC

Samsung 32 - Newegg

My friend is looking for a new hdtv to use mostly with this Xbox 360. This tv looks almost near perfect for what he wants to do. He would like to stay in the 32inch range and this tv has a lot of other features that make it an attractive deal. He doesn't need 1080p because his Pro Xbox 360 can't do it, so no worry on the tv not having 1080p. He likes the 1080i aspect, as he can then upscale on his 360.

Any other comments or suggestions for whether he should jump on this deal that ends shortly.

Good set, overall. It is last year's model and you'll need to fool around with the colors a bit to get true whites. That shouldn't stop him from enjoying it, though.

Without this deal, wouldn't the tv be about $300-$400 more expensive? Just wondering because it seems like a great deal and I wouldn't want him to pass it up.

Edit: Also, is there any other forums where I could post this to get a couple more responses? He really would like to purchase it quickly (so they don't sell out). I appreciate your quick response, but I would still like to hear more to give my friend the best idea.

I work with HD Televisions and had hands on experience with this model for a good 10 months. I'm not sure what else you need to know lol. Just ask and I'll answer. And, yes, the TV, when being sold as new, would retail for about $1200.

Ok well I will ask away then :D. The "newer" model of it is here I believe:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102046

I explained to my friend that basically the only 2 noticable differences were the newer was has a usb port, and a 4000:1 contrast ratio instead of 3000:1. How big of a difference will that extra 1000 (contrast) make in the overall picture. Spending $100 on the newer model just seems like a waste unless you think its a big deal.

I've got an LNS4092D (40") Samsung and I couldn't be happier. It's bright as hell and has excellent color. It's my first HDTV and I've been nothing but impressed. I'm using mine for my 360 and it looks amazing.

And yes, his 360 CAN do 1080p, as long as he got the Fall update from last year.

How can it do 1080p with HDMI? Sorry, I know bits and pieces about HD but I must have misinterpreted something about 1080p. Would you mind explaining how his 360 can do it?

I have heard from other places that Newegg is terrible on its return policy for larger items, but I have never had a bad experience with them. Though, most of the time, it has been with smaller items.

Edit: Forgot, that tv can't even do 1080p anyway, but please explain regardless.

Ok well I will ask away then :D. The "newer" model of it is here I believe:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102046

I explained to my friend that basically the only 2 noticable differences were the newer was has a usb port, and a 4000:1 contrast ratio instead of 3000:1. How big of a difference will that extra 1000 (contrast) make in the overall picture. Spending $100 on the newer model just seems like a waste unless you think its a big deal.

The numbers don't mean much. However, the newer set does have a better picture. Samsung put more effort into their lower tier'ed sets this year and it does make a difference.

The numbers don't mean much. However, the newer set does have a better picture. Samsung put more effort into their lower tier'ed sets this year and it does make a difference.

With him being close to a virgin on HD tv's, I don't think he will be able to notice the difference, but I will have a talk with him and see if it will really matter to him because it is his money afterall.

How can it do 1080p with HDMI? Sorry, I know bits and pieces about HD but I must have misinterpreted something about 1080p. Would you mind explaining how his 360 can do it?

1080p can be done over Component, VGA, DVI and HDMI. Only some TVs support 1080p over Component, while most will allow for 1080p over the others. The 360 supports Component, VGA and if you get the Elite you get HDMI. Either way, it has 1080p support as long as he's been keeping is 360 up to date (Y)

1080p can be done over Component, VGA, DVI and HDMI. Only some TVs support 1080p over Component, while most will allow for 1080p over the others. The 360 supports Component, VGA and if you get the Elite you get HDMI. Either way, it has 1080p support as long as he's been keeping is 360 up to date (Y)

The X360 cant do 1080p over component, can it? :s

The X360 cant do 1080p over component, can it? :s

People don't think component can handle 1080p because of Sony's marketing for the PS3. The terms 1080p and HDMI became synonymous. Heck, even my friends that worked in the TV department at Circuit City thought it wasn't possible until I showed them. (I'm not bashing Sony, I'm just showing how much influence marketing can have)

The terms 1080p and HDMI became synonymous. Heck, even my friends that worked in the TV department at Circuit City thought it wasn't possible until I showed them. (I'm not bashing Sony, I'm just showing how much influence marketing can have)

I don't feel as bad now because I thought the exact same thing. So what are the big differences then between vga/component/hdmi? He won't be getting an elite anytime soon so I guess the most he has to worry about is component because I think that is how he is connecting it (with the component cables provided).

I bought that exact tv on sunday for $799 at circuit city(odd, i know). I love it, the only thing i dont like though is it has only 1 component connection, 2 would have been nice. I'm not sure how much the contrast difference will make, but that one stood out the most. I stepped back about 15 feet and looked at all of them at once and this is the one that looked the best, i just ignored any specs about them and just looked at the picture. They also had the first tv you posted and I took a look at that one too since it was $100 cheaper so i was curious, but it was a little more dull, but still was one of my favorites, and then I looked at the cards and thats when I noticed what the contrast difference was. So either way they are both good in my opinion.

also no QAM tuner which sucked, but most cable companies are not going to let you use it for anything other then the locals anyways.

I have this TV as well (bought it in January $1079). My first HDTV.

Still working on adjusting the colors (I seem to get either really bright or dark, no inbetween), but I absolutely love the TV.

One small thing that is slightly noticeable in a dark room is the backlight leaks a little in the corners.