OSX 10.4.9 support WPA2?

I hope this question isn't too obvious, as I have barely any experience with OSX, but I have a friend who wants me to set up a router for her and I'm looking at the WPA algorithms to use and I don't know if I should use WPA or WPA2. She's running OSX 10.4.9 on an iBook G4 and I want to make sure that it will work with the router when she tries to connect to it. I hope this is the right forum section; I assume I'll get more help here than in the networking one.

I just set this up on my MacBook Pro and it works fine. Trying it on the iBook now... Works fine there too. Using AES & WPA2.

Note: When you select the network from the Airport list and it asks for the password and authentication type, It only says WPA Personal. Not WPA2 Personal, but it does in fact connect with WPA2 Personal (You can verify by going to System Preferences, Network, Double click Airport, and change "By default, join:" to Preferred networks and you'll see it say WPA2 Personal.) Don't know why it doesn't say WPA2 in the connect dialog. Must be a bug.

Edited by divinatum

I just set this up on my MacBook Pro and it works fine. Trying it on the iBook now... Works fine there too. Using AES & WPA2.

Note: When you select the network from the Airport list and it asks for the password and authentication type, It only says WPA Personal. Not WPA2 Personal, but it does in fact connect with WPA2 Personal (You can verify by going to System Preferences, Network, Double click Airport, and change "By default, join:" to Preferred networks and you'll see it say WPA2 Personal.) Don't know why it doesn't say WPA2 in the connect dialog. Must be a bug.

Alright, cool, thanks.

I connect to WPA2 fine, but the only problem I have with it is that it seems to drop the connection entirely a few times after a fresh boot until you put the computer to sleep and back on. It happens a few times before it just stops happening (I rarely shut down my computer so after the first couple of disconnects it stops doing it from that point onwards until I reboot). It started happening after Security Update 2007-001 soooo I've been precautious about updates ever since.

Maybe the new Airport Extreme updates solve this problem but I'm not willing to find out just yet. I have a Linksys router btw.

I use WPA2 to connect my powerbook to my airport extreme base station, works like a champ. WPA2 has been around in OS X at least since the mid 10.4's.

• 1 year later...