RIP Diego Corrales

http://boxing.about.com/b/a/257651.htm

Diego Corrales Dies in Motorcycle Accident

ormer champ Diego Corrales, who climbed off the canvas to score a KO in one of the greatest fights in boxing history, has died in a motorcycle accident near his Las Vegas home. Corrales, 29, was driving a 2007 Suzuki 1000 motorcycle when he hit the back of a 1997 Honda Accord and was tossed from the bike. Reports indicate a Mercedes traveling in the opposite direction was unable to avoid striking both Corrales and the bike. The accident occurred around 7:30 p.m and there is no indication that either drugs or alcohol was involved.

Corrales compiled a career record of 40-5 and held world titles at both junior lightweight and lightweight. He will be most remembered, however, for his fight with Jose Luis Castillo on May 7, 2005 -- exactly two years before he died. Both fighters dished out and absorbed tremendous punishment over the first nine rounds. Corrales was knocked down twice in the tenth and appeared on the verge of being stopped. But Corrales got up after the second knockdown and - in the very same round - scored one of the most shocking knockouts in boxing history. The bout was named the 2005 Fight of the Year.

The Castillo fight was the last win of Corrales' career. After struggling for years to make weight at 135, Corrales jumped up two weight classes to welterweight (147) for what turned out to be his final bout -- a unanimous decision loss to Joshua Clottey in which Corrales took a beating over ten one-sided rounds.

Followed this guys career through the thick and thin. He will be greatly missed.

I posted this a few posts down...but R.I.P

I didn't even see that. Figured the guy would go relatively unnoticed. Loved to watch him box. I'm totally bummed right now.

"He fought recklessly and he lived recklessly," said his promoter Gary Shaw. "That was his style."

RIP

I didn't even see that. Figured the guy would go relatively unnoticed. Loved to watch him box. I'm totally bummed right now.

Yeah I was surprised noone had posted it...he was a big boxer and still in his prime...

Yeah I was surprised noone had posted it...he was a big boxer and still in his prime...

As much as I love the dude, he was past his prime. His last fight was a lopsided one way beating from Clottey. He was going to fight on but should have retired. Whats crazy is, today is his two year anniversary of his epic battle with Castillo. That fight was probably in the top five fights I've ever seen. He will be missed.

As much as I love the dude, he was past his prime. His last fight was a lopsided one way beating from Clottey. He was going to fight on but should have retired. Whats crazy is, today is his two year anniversary of his epic battle with Castillo. That fight was probably in the top five fights I've ever seen. He will be missed.

That Castillo fight was off the hook...I still sometimes search it on Youtube!!!

That Castillo fight was off the hook...I still sometimes search it on Youtube!!!

I got it recorded to DVD and have watched it a dozen times. That night it happened I almost threw my chair out the window!

I got it recorded to DVD and have watched it a dozen times. That night it happened I almost threw my chair out the window!

LMAO Yeah!!!

Moments like that makes boxing amazing...shame in the recent year or so Boxing has been quite dull even the latest big fight Hoya/Mayweather wasnt amazing...we need more fights like that!!!

Remembering Chico

May 9, 2007

The world was stunned by the news Monday night that two-division world champion Diego Corrales was killed in a motorcycle accident in Las Vegas. Here are statements from important boxing notables:

Two time world champion Jose Luis Castillo of Mexico was very saddened after learning that Diego Corrales had passed away in a motorcyle accident. "I was very surprised and upset when I heard about Chico. It really is tragic when something like this happens. My heart goes out to his family who I know he cared a lot about. I always liked Chico. We had what I would call as a friendly rivalry when we got into the ring. We had two amazing fights and our names will be linked forever. For me it was a privilege of knowing Chico and being part of such great fights."

"I'm still in shock over this news and this is a sad day for this sport," said Leon Margules, Executive Director of Seminole Warriors Boxing. "Diego was a fighter who never did anything halfway, and we loved him for it. He was a fighter's fighter and his attitude in and out of the ring made him a great ambassador for boxing. My thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time. He will be missed." Seminole Warriors Boxing sends its sincerest condolences to the family and friends of 'Chico', one of the sport's greatest warriors and a friend to everyone who met him.

IBF flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan contacted Fightnews.com to express his sorrow at hearing of the death of his friend Diego "Chico" Corrales. Darchinyan stated. "It is a tragedy that such a great boxer and good friend should die at such a young age. I met and trained with Diego on two different occasions while I was training for fights in the USA. He was training for Jose Luis Castillo. He was a true gentleman and outstanding champion. I would like to offer my condolences to his family and friends. He was a good man."--Ray Wheatley

WBC Statement: Facing the unfortunate news of Diego Corrales? death (last Monday at 10 p.m.), the WBC declares a worldwide mourning day in the scope of our sport, and sends its deepest condolences to the former Lightweight and Super-Featherweight world champion?s family....rest in peace, this man who was a great boxer!

"This is a tragedy and my thoughts are with Diego's family and friends," said promoter Frank Warren. "I remember when he came to Britain just after he had fought Castillo, and climbed into the ring before Ricky Hatton fought Kostya Tyszu in Manchester in June 2005. The reception he received from the crowd that night was amazing, and showed fight fans all over the world loved his bravery and his aggressive style of fighting. Outside the ropes he was a real charmer. Boxing has lost one of its stars."

"This is a horrible tragedy and a very sad day for boxing," said TV executive Ken Hershman. "We lost not only one of the most determined and competitive fighters of a generation, but also a friend. Having worked with him for many years, on so many important events for the sport, I can say that Diego was a gentleman and a champion both in and out of the ring."

Corrales services set

The memorial service for Diego "Chico" Corrales, 29, has been rescheduled for Tuesday, May 15, at the Palm Green Valley Mortuary (7600 South Eastern Ave., Las Vegas, NV 89123). The public viewing will be from 9 A.M. to Noon PT with the funeral service, conducted by Richard Steele, beginning at Noon. Burial will be immediately following the service. A two-division world champion, Corrales (40-5, 33 KOs), was killed in a motorcycle crash Monday evening in Las Vegas. It was the second anniversary of his epic lightweight title unification victory over Jose Luis Castillo.