[F1] Singapore confirms 2008 night race

this is gonna be nuts!

11 May 2007

Unofficial artwork for the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix. ? FOASingapore will host a round of the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship, it was confirmed on Friday. The race, to be held on a new street circuit, will be the first night-time event in Formula One history.

The announcement follows the agreement of a five-year deal between FOM CEO Bernie Ecclestone, Singapore entrepreneur Mr Ong Beng Seng, and the Singapore Tourism Board.

?I am very pleased to welcome Singapore to the Formula One family and we look forward to this exotic addition to the championship,? said Ecclestone. ?This will be the first fully lit street race in Formula One.

http://www.formula1.com/news/6063.html

awesome! can't wait to see it! :woot:

and one more street circuit in Valencia!

Valencia street race for 2008

10 May 2007

The Spanish city of Valencia is set to host a round of the FIA Formula One World Championship next year. The race, to be known as the European Grand Prix, will be held on a newly-constructed harbour-side street circuit.

A seven-year agreement was announced on Thursday in a press conference attended by Formula One Management CEO Bernie Ecclestone, Valencian government's President Francisco Camps and Valencia's mayor Rita Barbera. The deal is conditional on Camps winning local elections next month.

The news means Spain is due to become home to two rounds of the world championship for the foreseeable future. Barcelona?s Circuit de Catalunya stages the 2007 Spanish Grand Prix this weekend.

Valencia?s Mediterranean backdrop will provide a spectacular setting for the new track. The city, currently hosting the America?s Cup sailing event, is no stranger to Formula One racing. The nearby Ricardo Tormo track is a regular testing venue and Valencia has been the location for numerous car launches.

Night time circuit :o

Do you think they will have to have some awesome lighting fitted in the area or the cars get head lamps fitted? as far as i know they dont have them do they?

Cool, Melbourne has pretty much lost the F1 cause of this (since Melbourne refuses to do a night race, big mistake!) sounds like Singapore will replace Melbourne in the future, oh well guess it will be more quite around here come March next year :p

EDIT: I think Sydney is building a night circuit as well that will be ready for the 2008/2009 season, but I'm not 100% sure of that...anyone know for sure?

Do you think they will have to have some awesome lighting fitted in the area or the cars get head lamps fitted? as far as i know they dont have them do they?

'The Singapore Grand Prix will take place on public roads around the Marina Bay area. The design proposal includes powerful lighting systems that will replicate daylight conditions and the most stringent safety protocols will be applied to ensure driver and spectator safety.'

No, they don't and it doesn't look like they will according to this article..

With the Singapore race likely to be held at night to coincide with prime-time television broadcast in Europe, another concern he raised was adequate lighting.

?Some television promoters are sceptical the lighting will be sufficient for TV audiences to follow the race clearly,? he said.

Fitting the F1 cars with headlights ? the norm in other motor-racing events that take place at night such as the Le Mans 24 Hours race ? is not an option as their aerodynamic designs are often the key to their success.

Headlights will also add to the weight of the cars.

However, the Frenchman was optimistic that a Singapore race would be well-run. ?You have good infrastructure. There is already good accommodation, and I believe it will be very well-organised,? he said.

http://motoring.asiaone.com.sg/news/20070430_004.html

...although it doesn't mention how they will solve it, he just goes off on a tangent about good infrastructure. I imagine it will be floodlight though.

'Spore rocks!

I visit at least once a year, and the last year I was there was during 'National Day'. Wow!

It reminds me of the Monaco race. Small country, grand show!

Is SG the new Monaco?

(They will rule the bio-tech world. They built a billion dollar facility and US scientists are flocking there, away from the Bush administrations religious dogma)

The Street Races are great because they are usually more unpredictable than the regular circuit races. Monaco has had many different winners over the last few years, aside from the usual suspects.

Night time race will definately be interesting!

'Spore rocks!

I visit at least once a year, and the last year I was there was during 'National Day'. Wow!

It reminds me of the Monaco race. Small country, grand show!

Is SG the new Monaco?

(They will rule the bio-tech world. They built a billion dollar facility and US scientists are flocking there, away from the Bush administrations religious dogma)

Nice to know that you came during National Day. This year's National Day will be different. It will be hosted @ the Singapore River as the stadium is being torn down to make way for a new one. Do try to come again on National Day! (9th Aug SGT)

As for the Biotech thing, I would presume that is Biopolis? ( http://www.a-star.edu.sg/astar/biopolis/index.do )

P.S: I study near there :p

Ha ha F1 cars with headlights. That would be funny!!

The only reason for the night races is because of the time difference. They get more money from TV companies if it is shown in European time.

'The Singapore Grand Prix will take place on public roads around the Marina Bay area. The design proposal includes powerful lighting systems that will replicate daylight conditions and the most stringent safety protocols will be applied to ensure driver and spectator safety.'

If it's going to replicate daylight conditions, what's the point? I understand for the spectators it's a bit different, but for those of us watching on TV what's the big deal? One way or another, I'll probably tune in.