NFL: Ricky Williams tests positive (again)

Ricky Williams tests positive for marijuana

May 11, 2007 01:20 PM

Associated Press

MIAMI ? Former NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams tested positive again for marijuana last month, delaying his return to the league until at least September, a person familiar with the case said Friday.

Williams sought to end a one-year drug suspension last month when he asked to rejoin the Miami Dolphins. But following the positive drug test, clinicians in the program advised NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to delay reinstatement, the person close to the case said.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the confidential nature of the testing program.

Williams, who turns 30 on May 21, was suspended in April 2006 by the NFL after violating the league's drug policy for the fourth time. He played last year in the CFL with the Toronto Argonauts, then taught yoga in California.

The Dolphins and the NFL declined comment. Before Williams' latest setback, new Miami coach Cam Cameron repeatedly declined to say whether he would welcome Williams back.

Leigh Steinberg, Williams' agent, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

Williams' latest positive test first was reported by ESPN.com.

Last month, Steinberg quoted Williams as saying his interest in eastern philosophy had overcome his desire for mind-altering substances.

Williams won the 1998 Heisman Trophy at Texas and the 2002 NFL rushing championship with the Dolphins, but he has played only 12 games since 2003. Last season with the Argos, he rushed for 526 yards in 109 carries but missed two months with a broken arm.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/212977

I doubt he will ever play football again. He's getting near that age of when RBs start to lose a step or two.

I definitely thought he had finally cleaned his act up and he was looking forward to playing again. Too bad Ricky...just light one up and everything will be allllllllright.

He's my favorite just because he blazes. I would put him on the field high out of his mind just to see how quick is he to react when a 300 lbs. defensive is charging at him

I'll never understand these idiots. They get paid millions of dollars a year just to play a game, and yet they still do this stupid crap and ruin it for themselves. God, I wish I could make them see how lucky they have it and then maybe they'd stop being so retarded.

Seriously he would retire from football probably before he was even 35. You mean he couldn't wait a few years to light one up? Come on we are talking about millions of dollars here. What an idiot.