20 DVD movies on 1 CD-Rom

hmmm... actully - we can compress a 500MB to 1MB.

yes we do.

ACE and ZIP and many other compress tools are working in a way that makes the file better like this:

instead of writing:

they write:

0*8

something like that. and that's mean, that if all the .ISO file of the XP beta 2 was full of zeros (computers got 0 and 1 as u all know), it's CAN be only 2MB-1MB.

BUT, it's can't work.... because if the .ISO will be full of only zeros, it just won't work because it's not the right file.

conclusion: THERE WAS A .ISO OF XP BETA 2 THAT WAS 2MB. i had this file, and maybe i still have it. BUT it didn't work.

that's my lesson for today, i hope u got it because i think my english sucks.

Hey if you have that file then could you email it to me... please... i really gotta test something...

and finally someone who isn't from 1950. LOL... do you people think that the army and other goverment agencies use the same file types and stuff we do. Better things are always being created and it has been done. Oh well.. i'll still look stupid till this kind of compression comes mainstream.

I remember that 2MB ISO file....

yes.....yes...i recall....that

in fact...

it extracted into a fake iso that was filled with only a few files, that were corrupt, and microsoft's crc checker could not validate it as a real microsoft cd.

haha.. funny stuff that was...

i also remember a prank that was pulled days before winxp was to be released...

they had 2597 people in that room, the moderater was leaking bs info...

then he left the room quickly, after saying SUCKERS!

hahaaha.....

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

Hey if you have that file then could you email it to me... please... i really gotta test something...

and finally someone who isn't from 1950. LOL... do you people think that the army and other goverment agencies use the same file types and stuff we do. Better things are always being created and it has been done. Oh well.. i'll still look stupid till this kind of compression comes mainstream.

hmmmm..... i just want to say something again... if it wasn't clear..

• There was a 2MB file that was 500MB after the extract.
  • It didn't work (all the files was zeros inside).

Im sure such massive levels of compression are possible, prodived your compressing 1 gig of ASCII consisting only of 1's. As for all this governmernt conspericy business, im not even going to go there, you think the US military, in all its alien-spaceship-reverse-engineering-orbital-death-platform-secret power has elected to withhold sercet technology for FILE COMPRESSION? That makes sense. They certainly wouldn't want to, you now, profit from it or anything.

Tell me can you name a single new technology in the computer industry ever to come out of the US government?

and just to prove u that it's possible, i made a file in Edit (DOS), that was all zeros. it was 5MB. then i compressed it with WinAce - 6k.

which mean:

5MB - 6K

500MB - 600K

don't belive me? i uploaded the compressed file to here. download it, extract it, and do the math part by yourself.

Compression only works by removing redundant (lossless) or insignificant data (lossy). There is no way that a gigabyte of meaningful data could be reduced to less than a megabyte.

MPEG-4 has some awesome potential. Check out the demo Das Pop video file on http://www.3ivx.com . It's incredible with what they can accomplish with only 128kbps of bandwidth.

It's lossy though.

Look at how much longer it takes to compress at max compression with RAR than with ZIP. RAR offers a better file size but extends the compression time greatly.

There will be better compression formats in the future. Perhaps the military is already using them, who here really knows. This will only come about on the lossless side from an increase in the dictionary size used to compress the data with. Faster processors and a greater memory bandwith will allow for very extensive cross-referencing and refinement of the dictionary used.

Look at the white papers for MPEG-4 for ideas about where the advances in sprite detection and motion compensation will take us.

I have a 1k file that I uncompress into a 600 meg ISO. It's got a funny extension though, ".lnk". Anyone have any idea what program created it?

*grin*

Zoran

As an addendum:

3ivx would allow about 6 less than 120 minute movies to be burned to a 700 meg CD. This is assuming a roughly 1 meg a minute / 128kbps data rate of whic the larger demo is.

This would increase to almost 8 with movies around 90 minutes long and could top 16 maybe with short movies and a 64kbps data rate.

The gentleman in Europe is probably working with a data rate less than 64kbps if he's trying to put 20 120 minute movies on a single CD.

Originally posted by Krypto

Im sure such massive levels of compression are possible, prodived your compressing 1 gig of ASCII consisting only of 1's. As for all this governmernt conspericy business, im not even going to go there, you think the US military, in all its alien-spaceship-reverse-engineering-orbital-death-platform-secret power has elected to withhold sercet technology for FILE COMPRESSION? That makes sense. They certainly wouldn't want to, you now, profit from it or anything.

Tell me can you name a single new technology in the computer industry ever to come out of the US government?

Did you know that US special forces use laptops that upload/download all their data from the US gov and that's over satalites. Do you think they'll sit there for hours while they download images of maps and other info that they need. Even though they use wireless connections and get alot of bandwidth dedicated to them they still have to get alot of info out and in and that would take along time without encryption and compression.. i don't think they send zip or rar files of data back to US headquarters.. LOL

SHoTTa35: It doesn't exist.

Chipi: It's called run-length encoding. A 600mb of zeroes will give a small-ass file, and? Are 600mb of zeroes useful? No.

Video and data are virutally random data, you can't compress 600mb of random data losslessly to 2.5MB. Also you can't compress a 31MB/s videostream to 800byte/s, that's bull**** too. Go and learn compression techniques. If you pseudo-software engineers are so smart and all-knowingly, why don't you show me the tool, or why don't you write such a tool? Eh? Shall I remember that a case a la Defosse happened in .nl too? Shall I remember you when it came to proof the guy mysteriously disappeared? BAH!

<>

I HAD DAMN COURSES ABOUT COMPRESSION ALGORITHMS AT UNIVERSITY, AND THO YOU TRY TO TELL ME BETTER?

Thank you, I'm not gonna reply on such damn **** anymore. You guys can believe whatever rumor you want from now on. I won't comment anything on such crap anymore. So have fun with your bogus video codec.

Tom.. Relax. No one is claiming to be smarter than you - although that is what you seem to have taken offense to. Perhaps you need to take a time out in the corner.

Craig

P.S. Did you not take any grammar courses at university?

Knoxca: I'm from Belgium...

I'm ranting now because a stupid example of 600mb zeroes doesn't not rectify anything. It's like claiming to deflate a balloon full of rubber like one filled with air. No sense.

Also people who don't know what Huffman and LZW is, try to tell me I am wrong with telling them about the impossibility of compressing 500mb to 2.5MB.

So I should not rant?

If people like me wouldn't rectify all the **** talked on news forums, the world would still believe in Santa Claus.

But apparently lots still do and don't want to listen to reality. So fine.

Now that we all know that we're talking about nothing but a hoax, why not continue this thread and discuss some compression techniques, current compression programs and so on. Let's do something useful ;-)

I'm new to this board, so hello to everybody.

skywalker

Originally posted by SHoTTa35

Did you know that US special forces use laptops that upload/download all their data from the US gov and that's over satalites. Do you think they'll sit there for hours while they download images of maps and other info that they need. Even though they use wireless connections and get alot of bandwidth dedicated to them they still have to get alot of info out and in and that would take along time without encryption and compression.. i don't think they send zip or rar files of data back to US headquarters.. LOL

the government doesnt have any special compression methods. they use their own private satelites. now im not sure what you think what kind of bandwidth theyre getting, but its not the 400kps you get from comercial provders. i know that corporations can lease up to 45mbs from private satellite companies, i can only imagine how much bandwidth the government gives to its own people but i would guess 100+mbs. so theres really no wait that you are talking about. most maping software has the maps already on the computer, just the coordinates are transfered. and 100+mbs is just fine for your regular video communication. i really dont know what you think they need this "holy grail" of compression for.

Originally posted by Tom Servo

Chipi: It's called run-length encoding. A 600mb of zeroes will give a small-ass file, and? Are 600mb of zeroes useful? No.

if u just gave a minute to read my post, u'd see that this is excectly what I said.

Originally posted by Chipi

hmmm... actully - we can compress a 500MB to 1MB.

yes we do.

ACE and ZIP and many other compress tools are working in a way that makes the file better like this:

instead of writing:

they write:

0*8

something like that. and that's mean, that if all the .ISO file of the XP beta 2 was full of zeros (computers got 0 and 1 as u all know), it's CAN be only 2MB-1MB.

BUT, it's can't work.... because if the .ISO will be full of only zeros, it just won't work because it's not the right file.

conclusion: THERE WAS A .ISO OF XP BETA 2 THAT WAS 2MB. i had this file, and maybe i still have it. BUT it didn't work.

that's my lesson for today, i hope u got it because i think my english sucks.

and...

Originally posted by Chipi

hmmmm..... i just want to say something again... if it wasn't clear..

• There was a 2MB file that was 500MB after the extract.
  • It didn't work (all the files was zeros inside).

:rambo: