How to re-install ACPI in XP Pro ? ....

Hi guys :) ....

I have just updated my BIOS in my old PC, it did'nt support ACPI back then, but after the BIOS update, it says in the BIOS that ACPI is enabled but I cannot still go into stand-by like before the BIOS update :(, so I would like to know how to re-install ACPI without doing a clean install of XP Pro, I don't mind a repair/upgrade though :) ....

Thanx for the help :) ....

Radish.

I don't think it's possible to do it without a fresh install =/

Damn, are you sure m8 ? :( ....

Radish.

Go to device manager>Computer

There will be an entry called standard PC. go to properties and update the drivers. I'm not sure though.

Well i've tried to update the Standard PC in Device Manager, but it says there is no driver available :( ....

Any more ideas? :) ....

Radish.

yeh i think hes right about having to reinstall to get ACPI back, do a search of the ms kb im sure that will tell u :)

Click update drivers and choose display a list of known drivers for this device. select show all hardware of this device class.

From here select [standard computers]>Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.

It's not possible to upgrade from Standard PC to ACPI because it uses the NTOKRNL A version which is a whole new kernel.... (or i think that's how to explain it) but XP wont let you upgrade it as it's being used. You have to reinstall again (not necessarily format) just start boot from the CD and install.. all your settings and programs wont change.... but XP will....

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

Also:

If you try to change the type of HAL without running Setup, you may not be able to start Windows successfully again or you may experience hardware and other stability problems.

You cannot change between Standard and ACPI HALs because of the different way an ACPI and a non-ACPI BIOS enumerate hardware. The copy of the hardware tree, which is kept in the registry, is stored differently for each type of HAL. If you change the HAL without running Setup again, Windows may not be able to find hardware components needed to start the computer.

NOTE: You can use Device Manager to change from a single-processor HAL to a multiple-processor HAL.

It's not possible to upgrade from Standard PC to ACPI because it uses the NTOKRNL A version which is a whole new kernel.... (or i think that's how to explain it) but XP wont let you upgrade it as it's being used. You have to reinstall again (not necessarily format) just start boot from the CD and install.. all your settings and programs wont change.... but XP will....

Can I start the XP Setup within Windows instead of booting off the CD to get ACPI?, because I'm not sure if I can boot off a CD :s ....

Radish.

Also I have WMP9 installed, will the re-installation of XP overwrite this and return to WMP8?

Thanx for the help guys :) ....

Radish.

You might have to reinstall WMP9 (depending how intelligent the installation is) but it wont take more than a few mins so it shouldnt be that bad. :)

yeah, you'll have to reinstall WMP as XP installs all it's files again. The registry is the same tho so settings based in the registry will stay but versions of files will be downgraded unless you slipstreamd the newer version to the CD....

oh and yeah.. you can do it from XP.. just choose upgrade when you install and it'll be fine ;)

Anything that is a basic Microsoft XP application will be reinstalled. In other words if you have WMP9 you will have WMP8 at the end of the process, as you will with MSN Messenger 5, you will end up with MSN Messenger 4. You will also need to Update your system with any previous Windows patches you may have installed. Does this replace your Service Pack install? I'm sure it would becuse it's overwriting system files. You will also need to activate with Microsoft.

It's a heck of a lot better then installing a fresh copy.

Your system may still not support ACPI after this is all done.

Good luck.

Have you looked into the XP version of sysprep?? i know there's an option in the new version that will tell XP to reinstall all your hardware after being sysprepped..... just an idea.... search for it on the KB i guess :huh:

Your system may still not support ACPI after this is all done.

It isn't m8, so much for re-installing :cry: ....

Im off to watch 'Fight Club' on DVD :happy: ....

Radish.

The BIOS can lie, how old is this board anyway?

My parents have a motherboard that couldn't support ACPI til a newer BIOS revision, but it still wasn't truly supported.

Try Hibernation instead, very nice, I love it.

The BIOS can lie, how old is this board anyway?

My parents have a motherboard that couldn't support ACPI til a newer BIOS revision, but it still wasn't truly supported.

Try Hibernation instead, very nice, I love it.

The BIOS now is dated late 1999 and before the update was 1997, hence why it's my old PC :), I don't really use hibernate, I find stand-by more useful :) ....

Radish.

Also:

If you try to change the type of HAL without running Setup, you may not be able to start Windows successfully again or you may experience hardware and other stability problems.

You cannot change between Standard and ACPI HALs because of the different way an ACPI and a non-ACPI BIOS enumerate hardware. The copy of the hardware tree, which is kept in the registry, is stored differently for each type of HAL. If you change the HAL without running Setup again, Windows may not be able to find hardware components needed to start the computer.

NOTE: You can use Device Manager to change from a single-processor HAL to a multiple-processor HAL.

Sorry Voodoo, but thats complete nonsense.

i have the choice to go back and forward on my desktop and my laptop.

all you do is go to Change Driver under the "Computer" Section of device manager, after you change you're required to reboot the machine, thats all there is to it.

I've done it many times.

Edited by xStainDx

Picture Attached...

here you can see that with just a switch of a driver you can go back and forth.

That's the thing m8, I don't have that option in updating the driver :( ....

Radish.

Picture Attached...

here you can see that with just a switch of a driver you can go back and forth.

That's the thing m8, I don't have that option in updating the drive:(:( ....

Radish.

if you don't see it, then you cannot do it, its just that simple.

Since you now have an ACPI compliant bios, you must Reinstall XP Clean, so it can detect the new bios type.

if the option was there to begin with, then it would be in that box. plain and simple.

Also:

Sorry Voodoo, but thats complete nonsense.

i have the choice to go back and forward on my desktop and my laptop.

all you do is go to Change Driver under the "Computer" Section of device manager, after you change you're required to reboot the machine, thats all there is to it.

I've done it many times.

it used a wrong word when it said "cannot" change between the two because, as you pointed out, you can. what the article is trying to say is that you shouldn't change between the two in the manner that you've described.