MLB: Welcome to the Toronto Blue Jays

226140_3.JPG

Jays pitcher Jesse Litsch gets the shaving cream pie treatment from teammate Vernon Wells after their game against the Orioles.

New Jay is lights out

With dad in crowd, call-up Litsch simply fabulous in big league debut

May 16, 2007 04:30 AM

CATHAL KELLY

SPORTS REPORTER

In a season plagued by disappointment, the Blue Jays have their first fairytale of 2007.

Jesse Litsch, a virtual unknown from the minor leagues, was given a one-off pitching audition with the Jays last night and rode it into the record books.

The 22-year-old former Tampa Bay Devil Rays batboy stymied the Baltimore Orioles, allowing only one run in 8 2/3innings of stellar work.

"He did more than ever expected," Jays manager John Gibbons marveled afterward.

The narrow 2-1 Toronto victory marked the longest ever debut by a Jays pitcher.

"It's the best night, the best night of my life," Litsch beamed afterward. He was headed out afterward for a meal with his dad, Rick, who'd flown up from Florida to catch the game.

http://www.thestar.com/article/214405

It was a great debut, for sure. Imagine a healthy Halladay, Burnett and this guy pitching even decently well? It could be a pretty good rotation. That's the one thing the Jays still lack, though, any real support for Halladay.

Good for him. I mean, with a severely deformed face like that, making it into the big leagues. Brings a tear to the eye :cry:

Didn't his dad get a shaving cream pie as well?

Yeah, it was in the full article. The Jays like to do that sort of stuff. I guess all teams do.

The best thing about Litsch's pitching is that he doesn't waste any time between pitches. Some pitchers are so god-awful slow that it's painful. Plus they usually get even worse with runners on.