Starcraft 2 - Official!

I think there's a small chance that it could be released this year. If not, then I guess we can expect it to be released sometime in Q2/Q3 2010. After all, the other two campaigns (Protoss & Zerg) will each take a year to be released after the game. That's right, a year. That means we won't be seeing those campaigns until 2011, at the earliest.

http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments...ft-ii-for-2009/

But we all know Blizzard and their delays.....

http://www.starcraftwire.net/blog/comments...ft-ii-for-2009/

But we all know Blizzard and their delays.....

As much as we want the game to be released early, we really have to consider the daunting task of balancing the units, structures, and abilities. That alone could delay the game well into 2010. But, I'm optimistic so I expect the game to be released in 2009 (even if it's released on the 31st of December).

As much as we want the game to be released early, we really have to consider the daunting task of balancing the units, structures, and abilities. That alone could delay the game well into 2010. But, I'm optimistic so I expect the game to be released in 2009 (even if it's released on the 31st of December).

Your missing the point of that link, it is confirmed for 2009.....but as I said, knowing Blizzard, delays will arise and chances are it wont be out in 2009. Based on whats been confirmed, releasing in 2009 would not be "released early".....it would be released on time.

Your missing the point of that link, it is confirmed for 2009.....but as I said, knowing Blizzard, delays will arise and chances are it wont be out in 2009. Based on whats been confirmed, releasing in 2009 would not be "released early".....it would be released on time.

Am I really missing the point?

Next year's offerings from Activision Blizzard should include highly anticipated PC strategy title StarCraft II, the sequel to one of the world's most enduringly popular games.

The keyword there is "should". It doesn't say "will", now does it? A 2009 release date is highly unlikely but not entirely impossible. Knowing Blizzard though, they're going to release the game when they feel its ready. Unlike some video game developers, Blizzard isn't bound by strict release dates. In any case, it's nearly half-way through 2009 and Blizzard is yet to release a public beta for StarCraft II or Battlenet 2.0.

I see the word should as a word meaning that it will happen unless something, like a delay, arises before it happens.

We'll just wait and see. Mmm'k? :)

It's ok if Blizzard delays games, why are we arguing over this? Delays are actually good things when it's by Blizzard.

I can wait. In fact, I prefer waiting because that means the game will be even more polished.

if only blizzard move about half of WoW team members to Starcraft 2 team........ blizz has been working on SC2 for a long time and it is getting ridiculous late. they better not let our hope down for releasing this year.

I'd say there's like 5 employees working on SC2... seriously, this game will never be released. They started Diablo 3 too early and they deployed too many forces on this game. And people are still working on WOW.

Delays are never bad because it gives you time to polish a few things and all, but delaying it like one or two years is abusive. The proof : they had to re-do all of the graphics because they were expired... Even the graphics they have right now will be expired in like a year lol

Anyway I still can't wait to try it or buy it, but IMO they don't take this game seriously anymore.

I'd say there's like 5 employees working on SC2... seriously, this game will never be released. They started Diablo 3 too early and they deployed too many forces on this game. And people are still working on WOW.

And they have people working on two other games (one, for sure), I think. They're kinda busy. :) But this is Blizzard, nothing unexpected. Nevertheless, better to wait than to be sorry for getting it early with lower quality.

StarCraft II was announced on May 19, 2007. It's April 21, 2009. That's 1 year, 11 months, and 3 days (including today) since the announcement of the game. We don't know how long they've been working on the game. Anyway, Blizzard already has a number of contests for beta keys (see here). I'm all for a 2009 release but from what we know, it's unlikely. Unless of course Blizzard rolls out a beta for StarCraft II and Battle.net 2.0 in the summer or something. Only then would a 2009 release seem likely.

In the meantime, we can enjoy the slow but eventual Battle Reports. Haven't seen them yet? Check out #1 and #2!

EDIT: Turns out that StarCraft II was in development since 2003, shortly after the release of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. I doubt they started any "real" development until 2007.

I can't believe you guys are complaining about how long it is taking, Blizzard releases nothing but top quality games for a reason. People are way too used to yearly game releases ala Call of Duty that are nothing more than a glorified expansion pack or total conversion mod running on the same engine. If you want the quality, depth, and innovation that Blizzard always delivers, it takes time. I'm so glad they are making a ton of money of WoW so we don't have to worry about them selling out to a lame publisher like EA, Blizzard has consistently been one of the best game studios in the world, and they have made a joke of all the other studios who whine about the PC gaming market being unworkable.

I can't believe you guys are complaining about how long it is taking, Blizzard releases nothing but top quality games for a reason. People are way too used to yearly game releases ala Call of Duty that are nothing more than a glorified expansion pack or total conversion mod running on the same engine. If you want the quality, depth, and innovation that Blizzard always delivers, it takes time. I'm so glad they are making a ton of money of WoW so we don't have to worry about them selling out to a lame publisher like EA, Blizzard has consistently been one of the best game studios in the world, and they have made a joke of all the other studios who whine about the PC gaming market being unworkable.

True, Blizzard is one of the most respectable and prestigious PC game developers around. They're known for releasing top-quality games. But it doesn't hurt to "hope" for a late-2009 release date for StarCraft II. :)

True, Blizzard is one of the most respectable and prestigious PC game developers around. They're known for releasing top-quality games. But it doesn't hurt to "hope" for a late-2009 release date for StarCraft II. :)

Oh yeah of course. :D I cannot wait to get my hands on this game.

I wonder how many of you are aware of the professional scene.

Professional and semi-pro/elite level players have been worried about the MBS/Automine feature making the game easier. I don't think this is the case anymore, but any delays Blizzard makes in SC2's release is to work unit and mechanic balances.

Blizzard probably wants to do everything in their power to make sure progamers/viewers will be happy with SC2's ability to be a competitive game.

Anyway, can't wait for SC2

ooV

Professional and semi-pro/elite level players have been worried about the MBS/Automine feature making the game easier. I don't think this is the case anymore, but any delays Blizzard makes in SC2's release is to work unit and mechanic balances.

Blizzard probably wants to do everything in their power to make sure progamers/viewers will be happy with SC2's ability to be a competitive game.

ooV

I always get a good laugh out of gamers who think their skill in the game gives them some credibility on how the next game should be made, when they don't have a clue as to how to make a game. Professional and gaming do not belong in the same sentence.

ooV

I'm definitely aware of the professional StarCraft gaming scene. It's quite popular in Korea. However, I didn't know about that "auto-mine" feature. I think that's a bad idea. Hopefully, Blizzard will remove it. I'm sure most of the development work is on balancing and mission making.

I always get a good laugh out of gamers who think their skill in the game gives them some credibility on how the next game should be made, when they don't have a clue as to how to make a game. Professional and gaming do not belong in the same sentence.

On a personal level, it doesn't give them credibility (so to speak). But on a whole, they do have an influence on the outcome of StarCraft II. In fact, Blizzard has worked closely with elite players to balance the game. And Blizzard themselves said that their main design goal was to cater to the demands of professional players.

• 1 month later...