-_- tired of this

How many more "Vista VX" "Vista special *elite edition (shiney)" lame ass vista attempt visual styles for windows will there be? VISTA is out, and it looks nasty at any rate, big oversized UI. There are too many mods of VS's and remods, and nothing new and good is being made. How do you make Visual styles coz i'll go right ahead and make something I actually like :p

Sorry for the rant, and dont get me wrong, the old visual styles were awesome when they were released (you still cant beat good old ashen style with gant icons) but stuff is just old now.. vista ftl

lol @ free trial

edit: even so it requires a program to be installed.. I mean just to use themes with the patched uxtheme dll thingy, file.visualstyle

lol @ free trial

edit: even so it requires a program to be installed.. I mean just to use themes with the patched uxtheme dll thingy, file.visualstyle

Yeah I know, anyone who actually purchases this, deserves this flash that I found earlier.

To StyleXP Purchasers

Careful, may cause seizures.. o_O

lol @ free trial

newsflash: using and creating visual styles are two different things. if you're going to use them, you're gonna need a patched .dll. if you're going to create them, you're going to need stylebuilder. not much of a way around it.

err, i know the difference between creating a visual style and using one. I think you're misunderstand me. I want to create visual style files that dont require third party software to run, only a patched DLL. I already have a patched DLL.

err, i know the difference between creating a visual style and using one.

I don't think you do. If you're going to make a visual style, you need some type of third-party software installed. There's no way around it. The program you were linked is arguably the best program to use for making the type of visual style you want. So, to sum it up, you're going to need to use a third-party program to make one, but you don't neccessarily need a third-party program to use one. So, yeah, either give the free trial of that program a shot or try to figure it out with Resource Hacker.

I want to create visual style files that dont require third party software to run, only a patched DLL. I already have a patched DLL.

then get started. no visual style requires any program. some people use the .dll, some use stylexp, but stylebuilder is seperate from both of them.

does stylebuilder output a .visualstyle filetype that you can double click on to use with windows, or does it need a third party program like stylexp so apply the theme? I'm interested in the first one.

No, you just can't read. StyleXP and the uxtheme dll patch do exactly the same thing. So yes, StyleBuilder will out put .msstyle files that work with only the patch AND with StyleXP. I figured it was common knowledge that StyleXP and the uxtheme dll patch do exactly the same thing...

Yes it exports .msstyles (.visualstyles to you :p)

Thanks, someone who answers a question instead of going on with themselves.

btw, pixels, I did not know that this program styles in the same way, i thought it, like windows blinds or what ever its called. I dont know, i've only ever manually patched or used the auto patcher and use the .msstyle files. I'm using clearlooks now there's nothing (thats not finished) else I like.

ive only been using it for about 5 years :shifty:

the deviant art link i've seen and its boring now, at least the first 10 most popular of all time are.

ah, thats misleading as the program "stylebuilder" says that it requires styleXP to run, thanks dreamz.

well, it makes sense for them to write that because:

1. you need to be able to test/view the styles somehow, and so you need to be able to use them.

2. but tgtsoft isn't going to endorse the uxtheme patcher because (a) it did not create it and (b) it wants to endorse its own product, stylexp.

well at any rate.. i tried last night and failed miserably to edit a theme, i have no clues where to start. I can do the graphical editing part but its so messy. Are there any tutorials or tips & tricks around?

well at any rate.. i tried last night and failed miserably to edit a theme, i have no clues where to start. I can do the graphical editing part but its so messy. Are there any tutorials or tips & tricks around?

for the graphical part, i usually use reshacker. find the bitmap, save it, edit it, replace it. done.

for text editing (e.g., fonts), i use resedit.