Q6600 Processor Temperature

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help, does anyone know what temperature the Q6600 should be running at when only running email, IE and maybe Word or something, it seems to shoot up to 80c quickly then drops again, the Asus Probe is really annoying as its set to 65c and keeps alerting me, should I be worried as when I am running a game it might overheat more because its more demanding?

I am now thinking I might need to invest in a better PC cooler rather than the standard Intel one supplied with the processor.

If anyone can ease my concerns I would be grateful or can confirm something is not right :(

Any help appreciated

Keith

I have an Thermaltake Soprano with a ATI 2900XT card and a Corsair 620w PSU all cables are clear and airflow is not blocked.

The ATI 2900XT is probably overheating the entire system. :p It reaches 100C, boiling point so that can affect the rest of your parts greatly. Adding another fan or a better cooler would help the CPU.

The ATI 2900XT is probably overheating the entire system. :p It reaches 100C, boiling point so that can affect the rest of your parts greatly. Adding another fan or a better cooler would help the CPU.

Thanks, I tried looking within the ATI Catalyst software and couldnt find any mention of current temperature, oh well shall have to buy a new cpu cooler then, I had a faulty x1950XTX previously and that was a nightmare the fan stopped when it felt like and kept killing my system! Great

Make sure you have the most current BIOS ver. Also, get the latest ver. of ASUS Probe. It could be reporting a wrong temp.

maybe you should try and get a water cooler. The aquagate Duo is good because then you can use it for your GPU and your CPU

Go download Core Temp 0.95 at: http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/ and check your CPU temperatures again. I don't trust Asus Probe as it usually tends to report higher temperatures than what it should be.

dL

Thanks for this it does indeed report different temps... as I speak core 0 is 73c 1 is 69c 2 is 62c and 4 is 62c

I think I had better get a different cpu cooler.

Downloading the latest pc probe didnt really change the readings and I am running the latest bios.

Appreciate everyones help, I do not know whats a good standard of temp for a multi core cpu is?

Maybe you didn't apply the heatsink on properly. But either way, the stock cooler sucks and you should get an aftermarket cooler.

dL

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a good cpu cooler? I am looking at the options and other than a bit of general information I cant tell whats good and whats not... sorry for being a numpty ;-)

I'm using Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it's the best bang for your buck. Extremely easy to install since the installation process is the exact same as how you installed the Intel stock cooler. However, this is not the best cooler out there. If you do not mind taking out your motherboard and seating a better one, then I heard the Zalman one is pretty good. I forgot the exact model though. Someone can help you out there!

dL

I'm using Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it's the best bang for your buck. Extremely easy to install since the installation process is the exact same as how you installed the Intel stock cooler. However, this is not the best cooler out there. If you do not mind taking out your motherboard and seating a better one, then I heard the Zalman one is pretty good. I forgot the exact model though. Someone can help you out there!

dL

Thanks again, I have sourced one of these for tomorrow, will post back once installed... its only ?18 too so not too bad, did consider the coolermaster mars but not sure its easy to install.

Thanks everyone who has helped with advice am very grateful and hope to have a cooler cpu tomorrow...

I went with stock on my e6600 and I was getting some crazy temps, high 90's and so. It actually went to around 100 before it shut down by itself. But I actually think the heatsink was broken as when I went to check it. One connector peg did not seem to go as far down as the others.

Anyways, I went to micro center and got an AC Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and I have not gone above 42 C in speedfan. Even with alt+tabbing iin and out of CS: Source :)

I went with stock on my e6600 and I was getting some crazy temps, high 90's and so. It actually went to around 100 before it shut down by itself. But I actually think the heatsink was broken as when I went to check it. One connector peg did not seem to go as far down as the others.

Anyways, I went to micro center and got an AC Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, and I have not gone above 42 C in speedfan. Even with alt+tabbing iin and out of CS: Source :)

Thanks, thats interesting because I thought that one didn't go in as much as the others when I installed it however it wouldnt go any further when trying a couple of times so assumed it was just the way it was... maybe thats why its not cooling correctly, shall be getting a new cpu cooler today.

Thanks

Keith

before you jump the gun you need to try some things first.

1. your case may have incredibly crappy airflow. you mentioned good cabling, but what fans do you have? are hard drives blocking the intake?

2. ambient temps effect internal temps greatly. how hot is it in the room?

3. you may have the stock cooler on incorrectly, as someone else mentioned above.

4. what thermal paste are you using? if youre using the stuff that came w/ the processor, get rid of it. Buy some Arctic Silver 5 and apply it correctly (dont just glop it on the die) and reseat the stock cooler

dust affects it very badly too (my heatsink is caked in dust, i need to clean it)

My CPU is hotter now (first day of winter) than it was in summer.

before you jump the gun you need to try some things first.

1. your case may have incredibly crappy airflow. you mentioned good cabling, but what fans do you have? are hard drives blocking the intake?

2. ambient temps effect internal temps greatly. how hot is it in the room?

3. you may have the stock cooler on incorrectly, as someone else mentioned above.

4. what thermal paste are you using? if youre using the stuff that came w/ the processor, get rid of it. Buy some Arctic Silver 5 and apply it correctly (dont just glop it on the die) and reseat the stock cooler

Thanks for this, I have ensured that the hard disks are not blocking the airflow there is a big empty gap by my 12cm fan sucking air in from the front. The room is the coldest room in the house so hopefully this should help.

Front fan is sucking air in, rear fan is blowing air out, the psu fan is sucking air up and out and the graphics card us sucking air in from the case and venting out.

I today got a Zalman CNPS9500 AT and this seems to have helped:

Yesterdays temps:

core 0 is 73c 1 is 69c 2 is 62c and 4 is 62c

Todays temps:

core 0 is 43c 1 is 43c 2 is 38c and 4 is 39c

Hopefully now it should be a little more happy.

Thanks for everyones help I am truly grateful, lets hope now I can just use the PC and not worry about components for a while ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

On this related note my Asus bios is reporting 58c to 60c overall CPU temp (38c for the mobo). Is this what it's suppose to be? I see with the zalman it decreased the temp to 42 which would be great, but did you have to remove the mobo to put that heatsink on?

Last night, before I reseated the heatsink it was registering 85c for about 4 minutes (I rebooted it twice to make sure it was reading it right). You don't think that fried the processor do ya? I saw a chart somwhere that showed the max temp being 62.2, but I"m assuming that meant operating temp over a long period of time.

Edited by shade73

Hey all,

On this related note my Asus bios is reporting 58c to 60c overall CPU temp (38c for the mobo). Is this what it's suppose to be? I see with the zalman it decreased the temp to 42 which would be great, but did you have to remove the mobo to put that heatsink on?

Last night, before I reseated the heatsink it was registering 85c for about 4 minutes (I rebooted it twice to make sure it was reading it right). You don't think that fried the processor do ya? I saw a chart somwhere that showed the max temp being 62.2, but I"m assuming that meant operating temp over a long period of time.

Your processor is probably alright (It is designed to automatically shutoff when it reaches the frying point); However, you definitely do not want to run your processor at those temperatures for more than a few minutes. When you reseated your heatsink, did you apply fresh thermal paste? If not, you need to. If so, you probably applied either too little or too much. Also, when attaching the heatsink make sure that all four of the clips snap (you should hear it) into place.

alright great, thanks. Yeah I didn't apply my own thermal grease b/c I couldn't find it, so I just used the thermal paste that came with it. However, I also did reapply it afterwards. I'm going to go pick up another cooler today, and get some more thermal grease, and hopefully all will be well. Thanks for the help

You have a Q6600 it has twice the power envelope of a E6600. You need to purchase a better cooler thats all. The stock Intel one is adequate but not as good as a 3rd party cooler (almost any will outperform the stock Intel cooler). I have a QX6700 and I did extensive research into the thermals of these Quad MCM chips and they just need better cooling than the Dual Core equilivants.

I went with Water but you don't have to go with Water a good air cooler is enough to cool these quietly and you could potentially push your temps down to the mid 40's idle.

Hey all, so I got the zalman CNPS9700 LED and some arctic silver 5 and installed it tonight on my q6600. It dropped my temps from 58c to 47c... so I guess my question is that good enough? I think the ambient temp must be what's causing it to be so much more. What guy didn't tell me was that with the 9700 you'd have like a centimeter clearance on your case. That would have been fine if I didn't have a friggen huge fan on the side of my case (P190 antech). So this is a warning, if you have that case don't get this cooler. The 9500 mentioned earlier was smaller and probably would have fit fine *muttering something under his breath*). Thanks for all your help guys. I guess I'm going to have to make my room cooler!

before:

58c

After 9700 install

47c

The Intel cooler supposedly works fine if you can get it seated properly. Mine didn't stay on either and I ended up getting a thermaltake blue orb II.

The intel cooler and it's posts are easy to install, but the holes in the mobo and the posts don't always want to mate or remain mated. I think this may have more to do with the holes in the mobo. I think anyone who is unsure about the mounting of the stock cooler should just buy an aftermarket cooler to play it safe.