[Boxing] Calzaghe set for Kessler contest

Joe Calzaghe has agreed to fight fellow super middleweight Mikkel Kessler in Denmark in September, his manager Frank Warren has told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Mogens Palle (Kessler's promoter) made an offer for Joe to fight Kessler in Denmark in September. We've accepted and are awaiting a contract," he said.

"It's not a done deal until it's signed but we've accepted. It's now up to Palle to send a contract."

Calzaghe has the WBO title but Kessler holds both the WBA and WBC crowns.

Warren added: "Joe doesn't mind fighting in Denmark. He feels he will beat Kessler anywhere and I believe that's the case as well.

It's a great fight. It's the two best super middleweights in the world. It's probably one of the most competitive fights at the moment in boxing."

Kessler's camp last week accused Warren of shielding Calzaghe from a bout with the Dane but Warren insisted his boxer was ready to fight.

"I just hope that Palle backs up his offer. We sent him an e-mail on Tuesday along with a fax confirming what the terms were and we've not heard from him since," said Warren.

"I'm hoping it's not all nonsense. He's been talking a lot about fighting Joe with Kessler and we've called his bluff. I don't believe he ever thought that Joe would go to Denmark.

"It will be Joe's biggest payday but then he should be getting his biggest payday. He's into his 21st defence. He's been champion for 10 years. Joe is box office."

This match will own :D

I don't think Calzaghe will have much of a problem with Kessler. Kessler is good but he just seems to be a notch away. Hopefully they sign soon or this one could fall apart.

I don't think Calzaghe will have much of a problem with Kessler. Kessler is good but he just seems to be a notch away. Hopefully they sign soon or this one could fall apart.

Yeah I think the only bad thing on Joe's side is its in Denmark and not his native Cardiff where he has won some great battles...

• 5 months later...
Why they fight so damn late? Don't they get sleepy? :p

I was thinking that because usually in America its like 8pm they fight.

Yeah, seeing as this is in Cardiff, it should be an early fight.

Warren has probably signed some HBO/Showtime deal and they want the fight at USA prime time

Yea I managed to get a stream of it over the internet. My dad refused to pay for Setanta and I felt sorry for him sitting downstairs at 1.30am listening to the radio! The joys of Teh Intahweb!

Was a good fight, the American commentators were really annoying me though - so biased towards Calzaghe. Kessler put up a real good fight, yet all they were talking about was how much of a better class Calzaghe is compared to him. I almost felt sorry for him when they announced the scores at the end

It's still amazing how Joe is still no.1 all these years on - truly one of the greats - lives 10 minutes up the road from me too! :]

It's still amazing how Joe is still no.1 all these years on - truly one of the greats - lives 10 minutes up the road from me too! :]

Nice one!!! :D, missed it I was out in town :(

He lives about 15min from my house too :cool:

You guys beat me lol (about an hour away here lol).

Was a great fight. He did seem a little lucky a few times though (was keeping his hands down a fair bit). But all in all, a good night. (and with Enzo winning by KO in the 4th round aswell, and Barrie Jones from the Rhondda winning).

Yeah I want to see what he will do now, he is something like 6 wins away from equalling or beating Rocky Marcianos record of total undefeated of all time!

Kessler gave him a decent enough challenge which was good to see. I am in total agreement with Frank Warren about Kessler being a dominant force in that division once Calzaghe either retires or makes the move upwards.

Hopkins and Calzaghe will bore the crowd tbh and I'm a huge Hopkins fan.

Joe Calzaghe and Bernard Hopkins both say they want to get it on. And Calzaghe says he's willing to come to America to do the fight. Casual negotiations have begun. In the meantime, Calzaghe met with Prince Charles on Wednesday. (lol)

I really like Cal too, he handled Kessler well. Tonight I hear Kessler finally came clean on a hand injury coming into the fight.

After previous denials, former world champion Mikkel Kessler has now come clean on a prefight hand injury that allegedly disrupted his training.

Fightnews.com