K1 - Dynamite USA

K1 held their first USA MMA Event yesterday night (I believe it was the first, I may be wrong)

The 2 main events on the card were:

Royce Gracie vs. Kazushi Sakuraba - The highly anticipated rematch after they fought in 2000 in their 90 minute thriller. Gracie looking out for revenge after Sakuraba won their last meeting after 90 minutes in the 6th round!

Result:

Gracie won by unanimous decision. Pretty even fight, Gracie did well to escape the submission attempts, but against anyone younger and stronger he would have been caught out. Nice to see Gracie back though.

Brock Lesnar makes his MMA debut against Min Soo Kim.

Result:

Lesnar wins by Submission in the 1st due to strikes. He looked pretty strong, but the talk was that his opponent was pretty poor. It'll be interesting how he fairs in future fights.

EDIT: Spoiler warning.

Saying this PPV was lackluster would be dishonest. It was god awful.

The show was very amateur through-and-through. They had an extremely annoying DJ on a loud mic. introducing the fighters, and he even had the balls to talk _during_ the Sakuraba match. Bill Goldberg was doing color commentary, he had no idea what he was talking about. The only good thing about it was Mauro Ranallo (from PRIDE years back) doing the play-by-play.

The Gracie-Sakuraba match was one to forget. Sakuraba didn't look like he was putting much effort into it. I can't believe Royce and the rest of the Gracie camp were actually happy with that win, I know I wouldn't have been. He won because Sakuraba didn't DO anything, though neither did Royce Gracie. Royce Gracie threw some ineffective kicks to try and lure Sakuraba into a mistake, as well as some feeble punches that mostly missed the target. The match should have been restarted due to inactivity many times. Nobody should have won, it should have been a draw, both guys did squat.

Lesnar's opponent was inept. I've never seen anyone tap that quickly from a few strikes in the position he was in. I think I heard Ranallo say the same.

Well, like I said, Gracie escaped the submission attempts pretty easily. You could tell the years were showing on both of them. Hence why Gracie didn't last anywhere near as long against Matt Hughes. I think the Gracie family were more happy with the revenge than anything else.

It's K1's first attempt at PPV in USA, so give them time to settle. I wasn't sure about all those steps on the way to the ring though! :p

Yeah it was their first attempt and hopefully it will get better...I don't even remember UFC's first ppv...

• 2 weeks later...