[Football] That gormless...

JAMIE Carragher has been dealt an amazing double snub ahead of tonight?s crucial Euro qualifier in Estonia.

Manchester United reserve Wes Brown and Newcastle?s Kieron Dyer are preferred by under-fire England coach Steve McClaren.

Brown, who was a peripheral figure in Manchester United?s title campaign, starting less than half their games, is favourite to force his way into the starting line-up.

But even Dyer, who has hardly ever played in defence, is ahead of Carragher in the queue.

Just as contentiously, Tottenham?s Ledley King has been selected at centre-half.

The decision is believed to be at odds with the view of assistant manager Terry Venables, who?s been pushing the claims of the Liverpool man to no avail.

Venables believes Carragher is good enough to be well established at centre-half alongside John Terry.

Carragher was used in his less favoured right back role against Brazil last Friday, when he performed well behind David Beckham.

But having spent an entire international career being shoved from pillar to post by a succession of hapless England managers, today?s decision will rank as one of the most upsetting of all for the 29-year-old, who has enjoyed one of his best seasons ever.

It will be seen on Merseyside as further evidence Carragher still hasn?t shrugged off his status as the most underrated defender in the country, appreciated for his talents far more at Anfield and on the continent than in England.

Only two internationals ago, McClaren was hailing Carragher?s ?fantastic? performances against Manchester United and in the Champions League against Barcelona.

There?s better news for Anfield duo Steven Gerrard and Peter Crouch.

Gerrard appears to have won his battle to convince McClaren he?ll serve his country better in central midfield, while Crouch partners Michael Owen in attack.

EB3CFA83-05C6-09B0-F3D58F30E4FD4274.jpg

Does anyone else find it unbelievable that Steve McClaren is going to pick Wes "I will fall on my arse with my first touch and give Brazil a goal scoring chance" Brown ahead of the legend that is Jamie Carragher?

Shocking.

He's Scouse, he's sound, he'll ###### you with a pound...

As a United fan I feel inclined to say give him a chance. If he ****s up tonight though, it will be another nail in the coffin and an undetermined England future for him.

WTF....Carragher has probably been the most consistent player at the back all season for Liverpool and I mean England needs that...lost to Estonia and Dyer can go sit with unemployed McClaren...

McLaren made a lot of mistakes in the squad last night, yet he got lucky again, and he's gonna keep his job for a while.

I agree that he should never have played Brown. And I'm a United fan as well. I can't understand why he got rid of Nickey Shorey. He played good against Brazil last week. And why the hell did he play Ledley King and Wayne Bridge? And why hasn't he got rid of Lampard yet?! He's a total bloody shambles! He only scores goals from deflections! Carrick is much better than him!

McLaren made a lot of mistakes in the squad last night, yet he got lucky again, and he's gonna keep his job for a while.

I agree that he should never have played Brown. And I'm a United fan as well. I can't understand why he got rid of Nickey Shorey. He played good against Brazil last week. And why the hell did he play Ledley King and Wayne Bridge? And why hasn't he got rid of Lampard yet?! He's a total bloody shambles! He only scores goals from deflections! Carrick is much better than him!

Yup your right. If England had lost last night then McClaren would of have the worst record out of an England manager EVER.

Conspiracy :shifty:

Ahh he must be a Man Utd fan...he is not from Manchester ;)

I thought you where a Portsmouth fan!

I support pompey first, man utd second.

But i think jamie is a better defender all over, brown is in the squad only because a few people are injuried and mclaren worked with brown before.

BTW i hate Mclaren as well.