Adding a game to Vista Game Explorer

I re-installed windows, so it's working fine, and I managed to add games now. Thanks for the instructions.

I have one question though, under the S-something registry, there's one key for each game, and the same under the GameExplorer folder...

But also, each time I run a game, it adds a new key in the S-something (which is a duplicate of the key for the game i just ran, well some of it, some of the details have been removed in the copy). It also adds a new play tasks folder in the GameExplorer folder (which is a copy of the play tasks folder for the game i just ran).

The copied registry key and copied folder seem to be useless, as when I delete them it has no affect.

Does this happen to everyone else or just me?

MY SUPER EASY WAY!

Drag the shortcut of the game to the Games Explorer and there you go!

haha I'm not on Vista right now but does that actually work cause it would be funny if everyone was editing their registry etc for no reason ;)

Shew - glad I haven't done anything yet.

I don't have that many games, but when I do, I'm gonna do it the easy way.

MY SUPER EASY WAY!

Drag the shortcut of the game to the Games Explorer and there you go!

Then you add the box art, release date, publisher, developer etc. how?

It goes automatically.

EDIT: Okay I want to add BoxArt and stuff manually, I can't figure out how. I looked at the blog tutorial (http://howto.jamescarnley.com/2007/06/how-to-add-games-to-windows-vista-games.html), but nothing. I changed as many values in regedit as I could, nothing appeared for the game.

Edited by drumthrasher109

Where is that Vista Games Explorer? I have windows vista ultimate but I cant finde that :/Where is that Vista Games Explorer? I have windows vista ultimate but I cant finde that :/

Instead of reinstalling Windows - I would have told you to delete your Windows account and create a new one

At least it's working

How to do it all manually

Read the pdf guide there and then have a shot at using the program that I am making.

Okay i'm trying to do this, I want all my games to be in the list and have the proper info.

I hid everything currently in my games list, even the default corny ones.

I want to start over because i'm completely confused.

Possibly, if one of you guys are willing to help me with remote assistance, please add my email to MSN:

drumthrasher109@hotmail.com

I'm completely lost. I tried the app, doing it manually, nothing seems to be working.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an issue. I wonder if anyone can help.

When I run this game from it's shortcut from the desktop, it works fine. But when I drag the shortcut into the games folder, the game doesn't run anymore. I do nothing to the shortcut's properties. I simply drag and drop it into the games folder. I am in admin account. What could be the problem?

Try right clicking on the icon in Games Explorer, Customize and the Edit the "Play 1"

Check whether all the shortcuts are correct.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know why none of the games I've install appear in the VGE??

I've installed Stream, NBA Live 08, Tiger Woods 08, BioShock and World of Conflict.

The only games that appear are Solitaire etc.

• 1 year later...

I think I figured it out. After getting rid of all info in app data for vista games folder, nothing seemed to change in the game window,games were still there and were icons not game box art. I wasn't about to mess with the registry cause I'm not about to change things I know nothing about. So I went into folder options, switched to view box and pick reset folders and restore defaults click apply then ok and when you go back into your Vista game window All possible games to have game box art are back were they should Be. Easy solution without messing with the regisrty!!!!! ENJOY!!!!

• 2 months later...

Those of you that recommended drag & drop, forget that some of the features of the gamesexplorer doesnt exist for games not autoinstalled by vista to there.

I have about 10+ games that never will update boxart or related and will never get those features short of some editor.

I use the drag&drop soley to have all my games in one place...but still have icon related problems with it.

The above idea does not always work.

• 2 weeks later...