[NHL] Free agent season begins July 1st

you are right, montreal has had a terrible defensive team for years, yeah souray isn't great at defense but it's not like it just his fault the habs give up 30+ shots a game.

to me6 million dollars is worth the best PP in the league

What about the worst 5on5 where a majority of the game is played? Or a middle of the pack PK?

These playoffs proved that games aren't won on the PP like regular season games are.

You can't play every game with the idea that you might get a certain amount of PPs. What if you only go on 2-3 in a game and your at 20% on the PP? Chances are you might not even score. And if you can't put it in the net 5 on 5, then what's the point of being a good PP team?

You assume Hamrlik is completely useless. If Carbo uses the same strategy on the PP like he did last season; all 4 men on the ice feed the puck to Souray, then I can guarantee you he'd also have 15-20 goals a season.

Hamrlik is a far better passer which will help our dreadful transition game, alleviate pressure from our zone by being able to get the puck out, and even set up rushes with stretch passes.

Oh and we can count on him to actually play defense, whether its even strength, PP or PK.

I like Souray for what he does, and I'd love to have him on our team, but the fact that he turned down 5.5M for 4 years tells me he wants to play elsewhere. At that price, we don't have the room for a defensive liability.

Ask yourself why has every tier 1 and tier 2 free agent been signed and Souray still remains? Many GMs are finding it hard to swallow 5.5M+ for what he brings to the table.

thanx gainey, you proved you are an idiot. You couldn't give souray that? less then hamrlik. good job, i hope you get fired once the habs miss the playoffs this year.

Are you serious rajput? Gainey offered Souray $5.5M for 4 years before signing Hamrlik. Souray turned down the offer and Gainey went to his backup plan in Hamrlik. Souray signed for less in Edmonton.

Roman Hamrlik

Brings experience

Canadiens General Manager Bob Gainey announced today the signing of free agent defenceman Roman Hamrlik to a four-year contract (2007-08 to 2010-11). He'll be paid $22 million over the four years.

According to an RDS report, Sheldon Souray turned down the same offer from the Canadiens. RDS reports that Souray is now studying offers from the New York Rangers, San Jose Sharks and Dallas Stars.

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/07/audio...hamrlik_to_fou/

And the RDS article:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/230119.html

Are you serious? Gainey offered Souray $5.5M for 4 years before signing Hamrlik. Souray turned down the offer and Gainey went to his backup plan in Hamrlik. Souray signed for less in Edmonton.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/232099.html

I wouldn't say he signed for less. It is slightly less per season when you average it all out but he gained the security of an additional season.

Basically they matched Montreal's 4 years at $5.5 million offer and added an additional year at $5 million.

I realize that, but it's not like Gainey didn't do anything. $22/4yrs is a very respectable offer, and Souray turned it down. Gainey in turn went to his back up plan and gave that same offer to Hamrlik, otherwise with Rafalski (who also turned down a Habs offer), Timonen and Hanan were the only other options and they were already taken at that point. I'd hate to see our blueline with Bouillon being our #3 D-man after Markov & Komisarek.

Don't worry about Souray, he's overrated anyways lol

I'm just so happy we got Bieksa for 3 more years (4 in total including his existing deal) I just bought his jersey too, so that makes me even happier haha!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't worry about Souray, he's overrated anyways lol

I'm just so happy we got Bieksa for 3 more years (4 in total including his existing deal) I just bought his jersey too, so that makes me even happier haha!

I can't believe the prices that Bieksa and Cory Sarich, amongst others, were able to sign for. It really questions the new NHL, especially when the old big spenders are still spending the most.

I can't believe the prices that Bieksa and Cory Sarich, amongst others, were able to sign for. It really questions the new NHL, especially when the old big spenders are still spending the most.

Yeah it is a troubling trend if it continues.

Kevin Lowe tries the offer sheet again and this time it works.

Anaheim will not match their $21.25 million offer for Dustin Penner. Since he is a restricted free agent, Anaheim will still be compensation with a 1st round, 2nd round and 3rd round pick in 2008.

Penner heads to Edmonton

GRANT KERR

From Friday's Globe and Mail

August 2, 2007 at 10:36 PM EDT

"We do not believe these salaries make sense," Burke said in a telephone conference call. "Offer sheets are part of our business [and] I'm not annoyed, angry or irritated.

"I object to the term, the number of years [and] the amount of money. So I've elected not to match.

"We're going to take three draft choices back and, given Kevin's recent [managerial] performance, I expect they'll be excellent picks."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

:rofl:

(For the non-hockey fans: He expects Kevin's Edmonton Oilers to do so poorly during the season that their draft picks will be highly ranked).

Ouch, im guessing Burke is't too happy about this. At least Edmonton has gone out and tried to sort out their team.One thing though, the offer for Vanek worked out at about $7 million a year and the Penner deal works out at $4.3 million, if they had that kind of money why didn't they re-sign Smyth when they had the chance last year? He signed with the avs (woo) for $6.25 million a year. Oh well, love the quote though. :laugh:

I think Smyth is going to be a great addition for the Avs. Sakic, Smyth, Brunette, Stastny, Hejduk, Wolski and Hannan, Leopold and Liles on the back-end. My only concern for the Avs is goaltending. Budaj is good, but I'm not sure how far he can take the team.

Yeah i know what you mean Bayrider. Budaj had a pretty good season in 06-07, in 57 games he had a 31-16-0 with 6 OT losses, 2.68 GAA and a .905% SA. I think he will have a better season next season, but whether or not he will be able to carry the team through a post season remains to be seen. Heck, he can't be any worse than Theodore.

It's such a coincidence that my girlfriend and I like the Sabres and Flyers respectively. I watched her team go from one of the best teams in the league, and mine being the worst... to that picture change quite rapidly.

I hope to see the Flyers do much better this season, but that's not really hard with a season like last year. GO FLYERS!