Finder Questions

Have you tried ftp via the Terminal? Thats a funalternative to third paryt apps. The terminal command is just "ftp" then the adress....

I typed in FTP and it changed the prefix to ftp>...what do I type in next? I tried a variety of address forms and nothing worked.

I could have sworn ftp did uploads as well as downloads... I mean geez, it's not that hard even! Come on, that's like building a 747 from scratch and then not flying it! (well, maybe not THAT extreme...)

Sorry, I meant type "ftp" and the adress on the same line. Like: "ftp plaza.ufl.edu". If it is private it will ask you for you username and then your password.

Alright, I did that; now how do I upload files?

Is it something like this:

/Users/justinhancock

(That's what I get when I do pwd) Also, how do I designate where I want it to be uploaded to?

This seems too complicated...what's a good free FTP client out there? I sure wish they'd make a Mac port of Smart FTP. :(

use 'put <filename>' to upload it to whatever dir your remotely viewing

It'll look for the source file in your home directory.

Oh...free gui ftp client...RBrowser Lite. Good, free, works. I use it.

a few hrs ago i went to "go" and then "connect to server" and typed in ftp://username@ftp.site.com and an icon appeared on the desktop saying "ftp.site.com", and a pop up window came up asking for my password and i typed it in, after that it froze, might be cuz i have dialup...or it just didnt work that good...

but i use the app callled transmit for my ftp use, its great for ftp'ing :D

use 'put <filename>' to upload it to whatever dir your remotely viewing

It'll look for the source file in your home directory.

Oh...free gui ftp client...RBrowser Lite. Good, free, works. I use it.

Yup, RBrowser is what i've always used! ... i jus don't understand why the Finder only allows read access, and why its not been FIXED?! ... it can't be that hard can it?! :crazy: