[knoppix] backing up my files?

due to a corrupt ntfs volume in xp i'm stuck in knoppix to be able to access them...

i'm new to linux so dont really have a clue what i'm doing but i need to backup my files!

i cant seem to get connected to my network and whenever i try to burn a cd it wont let me release the cd drive and gives the error:

unmount: /cdrom is not in the fstab (and you are not root)

any ideas?

I don't think you can umount the CD, if it is the one Knoppix boots from. Does your PC have another optical drive, by any chance? Or do you have another hard drive in the PC? Do you have a sufficiently large USB stick to transfer?

Or, this should be the easiest (no media required, anyhow) method: why isn't you network working? Do you connect with a standard ethernet jack on your computer? Does your computer use wireless for network connectivity?

Is it possible to add in an additional spare (temporary) hard drive to copy data to?

unfortunately, no :( its only a laptop so only one hdd, only one optical... and transfering 40+ gb using a memory stick could take hours.

my network is working fine, but i cant seem to connect in knoppix, i have no idea why.. i have tried with wireless and wired ethernet, these devices are picked up (i think) but cant browse websites or network shares.

You can also boot the OS from a pendrive so you can use the cd drive to backup your stuff.

*edit: huh 40+ GB... you'll be better off trying to get that network connection to work.

Your internet is not working correctly if you are not using your DSL router in "router mode" or you didn't entered your DNS into Network options. Stick to the static addresses and wired network and you'll out of trouble.