Australia 1, Uruguay 0.

It only comes around every 4 years and tonight was Australia's chance to qualify for the World Cup in 2002.

The game was fast paced and exciting to watch. Australia had way more skill on the ball than the Uruguayan's, however they lacked quality finishing.

The star player for Uruguay, Alvaro Recoba, played well but was not backed up by his team and was forced to shoot from outside. For most of the game the Australians - especially Harry Kewell - ran rings around the Uruguayan defence.

Both teams hit the crossbar in the first half, one shot from Recoba was a heartstopper from around halfway. The Australian goalie, Mark Schwarzer, was not expecting the shot and it would have went in if he didn't tip it over the crossbar.

The only goal came in the second half after Kewell passed two defenders and crossed it to Agostino who was pulled down in the box. The penalty was taken by Kevin Muscat, who confidently put it away.

The second leg will be played in Montevideo in a weeks time. Away goals are worth twice as much as home goals, so if Australia loses 2-1 next week they will still go through. :)

All the places in the World Cup Finals except one have been taken. Be sure to be watching next Sunday/Monday if you can, it promises to be an exciting game.

Yeah!!! Australia RULEZ. But it was SOOOO close! I mean, Australia only got 1 due to a penalty. URUGAY was pretty good and I bet in other circumstances, they could have won pretty easily. It was a home match for Australia.

But now we are gonna get kicked in World Cup. I mean, 1 NIL for a qualifying match? What would you expect in the real game??

well, i ve been awake all the night in order to see the match (6:00 that match started) and it was worth. A drag that we lost, we played both similar -technique-kind type of game.

Today ausie arrived, and in the airport, happened some stuff. Looked like some stooopid dood, which has NO respect, started some struggles and fights, then the journalist and policemen become involved too. A Shame.

Either of the 2 teams, really, deserve to go to the world cup. And i mean it. We dont have an eye-kindy play style. Just look argentina (next to us), they rock. We have lost 'that'. We have some nice players, ,but in the big picture, its no good.

So lets see this sunday. I have already have my tickets (i would post a scan of them :o)

regards and respect doods.

aniba!

Originally posted by anibalin

dood...australia DIDNT qualify yet...all depends on how good they do here (in montevideo) on sunday....

respect.

That is what you'll be hoping :D, but you're right, we'll see what happens on Sunday (Monday here ;)).

What happened??? HUH??????

didnt australia already qualified ??????? HUH?????

THERE YA GO!!! 3 GOALS DOOD 3!!!!!!

here is the ticket to home :o(

<< edit >> Don't swear, even in Spanish! :p << /edit >>

respect.