• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iTunes crash

Question

theyarecomingforyou    10,345

I loaded up iTunes today (or attempted to) and it just keeps crashing out. As far as I know nothing has changed, though obviously something has as it was working before. It says something about "Visual C++ Runtime Library", though that means nothing to me. *shrugs* Any ideas?

itunesrj0.jpg

7 answers to this question

achbed    0

Quick fix! Disconnect from the internet (gasp!). Go into iTunes preferences and uncheck "Check for updates automatically". Go back online and listen to your tunes! Worked for me! And no update(downgrade) required (yay!)

Noticed earlier today that the Mac at work was giving a dialog box of "A newer version of iTunes is available (0.0). Do you want to update?". I think whatever is causing the 0.0 to show up on the mac side is causing the crash on the windows version. Stop checking for updates, and it goes away.

Yup, that's fixed the problem.

richardsim7    115

Well 7.3 has just been released if that's of any comfort to you? :)

-Rich-

Well 7.3 has just been released if that's of any comfort to you? :)

Ah, I hadn't noticed. I'll check that out. Cheers.

JamesCherrill    27

I just loaded 7.3 and

1. Clicking on the iPhone tab in Preferences causes a Data Execution Exception & hangs

2. The Outlook plugin now crashes Outlook (2007)

WTF???

jimbo11883    1

The fix for these problems is to uninstall iTunes and reboot, then not installing it again. Worked for me, although I never had iTunes installed in the first place... :devil:

But seriously, try adding iTunes to the Data Execution ignore list. The Outlook problem, I have no clue why that's happening.

JamesCherrill    27
But seriously, try adding iTunes to the Data Execution ignore list. The Outlook problem, I have no clue why that's happening.

Thanks for that. Interestingly, the culprit (itunes mobile device helper) had been added (presumably by the iTunes installer?) to the DE Ignore list, but wasn't checked. I checked it and that fixed it.