wiping a mac?

I have a 1.5ghz powerpc mac mini but i hardly even turn it on thesedays since i have a newer macbook.

Was thinking of listing it for sale on ebay, but if i was to do that i'd want to erase the HDD with one of those multipass data erasure programs first.

Can someone reccomend one for a mac?

Just boot from your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Install DVD, launch Disk Utility from the Menu Bar and tell it to do a multiple pass erase by hitting the "Security Options..." button.

Just boot from your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Install DVD, launch Disk Utility from the Menu Bar and tell it to do a multiple pass erase by hitting the "Security Options..." button.

Ahh thanks, how long does it take to do a proper erase of an 80gb harddrive?

Since my mini is in my room and i find i don't tend to sleep very well with the noise of computers running.

I'd wait till tomorrow in that case. :) The 7-pass erase will take a while to complete, about an hour or so if I recall correctly. I wouldn't even touch the 35 one if I were you.

im sorta debating wether to buy a couple cheap usb > sata caddys and hook them up to the mini to reuse my 2 larger hard-drives out of this machine and setting the mini up a NAS server.

although i can get a 2 hdd NAS box for under ?70 which would look neater and probably use less power than a mini + 2 external drives.