router performance?

i'm thinking of getting a router and the one i was thinking of buying has a basic firewall... would this in anyway decrease the performance of my internet?? and would i run into problems with connecting to certain things?

I just bought a Linksys 4 port router..works great, i dont' see any speed problems and don't have a problem connecting to stuff...but this is my first day with it so i can't really say. But the setup was easy..only had to call the cable company and give them a new mac address.

hi.

i've bought a router more then a month ago (wow..)...

it's work fine. but it does reduce the internet speed.

there are no problems with connecting "things"... :) and i have a firewall in my router, and i don't think it's reduce the internet speed.

that's all, enjoy your new router. ;)

and by the way - my router is a Gateway router.

router is better.

Hub slows down between comptuers when you have a lot of traffics (packets collusions).

I think router is more efficient and more secure since hub offers no security what so ever.

You cannot go wrong with the 4 port router/switch for your broadband connection. As was previously posted, a hub shares the bandwidth internally, so if you have alot of internal traffic, you are prone to packet collisions and slow performance. A switch does not. The Linksys (and others) have the built 4 port switch (nice).

Built in FW (but don't just rely on this...use another in combination...such as Black Ice). Easily configurable (heck, you can essentially plug-n-play). It is the DCHP server, so you do not have to setup static IP's within your network (unless you want to, but then you have to tell the router about your static IP address's...and disable it as the DHCP server).

I use it in combination with 3 other 8-port Linksys switches. Excellent expansion.

Originally posted by kawai

router is better.

Hub slows down between comptuers when you have a lot of traffics (packets collusions).

I think router is more efficient and more secure since hub offers no security what so ever.

nope your thinking of a switch. you cant really compare a hub and router because a hub just connects PCs on a network whereas a router connects them to an outside network (eg broadband) even though they do they same sort of functions as far as data navigation goes. Switches are far better that hubs because they direct the data down the correct cable, hence avoiding collisions. A router is totally seperate however a router with switch facility would be best.

Don't have one yet but maybe soon.

If your broad band provider requires you to pay for an extra IP, this is where the router would pay for its self.

An extra IP for me would be $10 a month. Now having the service for 2 years $240, the router would of paid for itself by now.

All you need is one IP and the router designates a network IP for each computer hooked up.

Originally posted by linsook

so if i want to network a few computers together and also share the same broadband what would be best to use?

You get a Router with a built in 4 Port Switch. I got the Netgear RT314, and it works fine, NO slowdowns, minimal config, NO problems, :D

Mind you if I had to choose again I would probably go for the linksys, :D

N.B. Nick_Jones knows what he's talking about. the others seem to be confusing Router with Switch.

I use a Linux based router, with build in firewall.

This means you don't need some stupid proggie like blackice, to eat up your resources (mem/cpu).

my setup

-> internet -> linux router (freesco) -> switch (8port) -> my pc's.

The linux router has 2 networkcards, one for internet and one for internal network.

I can configure my router, via telnet or a webbased control panel.

(port-forwarding,firewall,dynamic dns,ftp-server,web-server,mail-server,DHCP-server,seti,quake-server,etc...)

This router is a very cheap 486DX4-100Mhz PC with 32MB-RAM, 120MB harddisk. (got it for 12$)

I bought 2 networkcards (25$ total)

and a switching hub (35$, could also be less, can't remember)

I think it's way cheaper and more effective than some in a box end sollution.

And with another hub I can even connect more computers to the internet.

The only disadvantage is you might have to figure stuff out for your self, but then again it wasn't much harder than installing a PCI-card with software.