Stop Error 0A in Windows Server 2003 (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL)

Hi all,

I'm desperate to resolve a problem with a server we have, and calling up Microsoft or digging up the internet didn't yield any answers.

We have installed Server 2003 on a server, it worked perfectly for 2 weeks or so, then it started BSODing with the following error:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is first time you've seen this...blah blah... disable or remove recently added hardware of software and disable BIOS memory options such as caching of shadowing.

Technical Information

Stop: 0x0000000A (0x00000016, 0x00000002, 0x00000000x 0x804E469A)

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Physical memory dump complete.

When we reboot the server, an event is immediately logged with Event ID 1003.

The server does this randomly. It can do it every night when it's not being in use, or 2-3 weeks may pass before it does it again. Recently, it did it once while it was accessed by people.

I've read in several sources that this is most likely a driver problem, but I can't work out how to identify the driver. I've read somewhere that the memory address in the 4th parameter can point to the faulty driver but I don't know how to work that out.

Also, it is worth mentioning that this server always threw an error when attempting to perform a Windows Backup, hanging at the "attempting to perform backup using shadow copy" stage. This may be relevant to the problem.

Any help will be MUCH appreciated as I'm left with a BSODing server with absolutely no support from MS.

Many thanks!

-TF

These are very tricky to diagnose so best practice is to do the following imop:

update all hardware drivers to latest versions

remove or disable AV software

disable any other low level software (drive imaging, hw dongles etc)

Is the server an out of the box one or is it home grown?

Like hell they are!

It MUST be a driver but can't tell which one. Or maybe a memory problem. This server NEVER performed a windows backup, it always hangs and fails when attempting to utilise Shadow Copy.

They are using Panda Antivirus which has proven to be problematic in the past, so I'll get rid of that and see what happens.

The server is a home grown one, it's really a powerful desktop machine with high-spec PC components, it's not server grade (a couple of drivers - audio, video - can't be installed as they aren't supported by Server 2003, so there you go).

I've read somewhere on TechNet that there is a way to identify which driver is causing the problem by looking up the hex address in the fourth parameter. Any ideas on how to do that? This is what they mentioned:

"Compare the memory address in the fourth parameter of the stop message with the base addresses of the drivers in the driver table on the STOP screen to find the driver that is the problem".

There is no "driver table" on the STOP screen. It doesn't refer to a particular driver or sys file or whatever. How can i identify the driver using the memory address that caused the violation?