GNU / Linux August 2007 Desktops

lol, i am speechless at macbuntu...

you know, if you get miranda and skin/plug/mod it nicely to match Adium, mac users will split their heads in two :p

miranda for linux?? thanks for the info kyro... my next timepass wud be that!! ;) i'll soon post another screenshot when its complete!

edit: miranda im for linux project seems to haf come to halt now!

It's Helvetica. Came with the system, not sure if it's the same font as Apple's Helvetica.

The UI font is Segoe UI, from Vista/Office2007.Using latest freetype2 (2.3.5, with the TrueType bytecode interpreter compiled in) and pango (1.17.5), font settings are slight hinting and grey scale antialiasing. No fonts.config settings in regards to Helvetica. Pango is important for kerning and all that, so if you want good font rendering, make sure you're using the newest version of that.

I'm using the Stylish extension for Firefox to override fonts in various webpages, if they default to something else. Youtube in the screenshot has no CSS overrides via Stylish, uses Helvetica by default. Should be mentioned that I purposefully don't have Verdana or Tahoma installed. Can't see these two anymore, I prefer Helvetica over them. A lot.

--edit: Checked, I have Firefox also use the FT2 autohinter, which overrides the slight hinting setting. It's in about:config, font.FreeType2.autohinted = true.

Cheers firefox is looking a little better now, not perfect but better than before :)

Finally got Photoshop 7 to install with Crossover Office and I have been able to make some custom buttons for my desktop, the menu button and the cool little back/pause/forward buttons which are just shortcuts to beep-media-player -r / --pause / -f commands.

aug0320072vu8.th.png

also changed fonts to Arial from Tahoma.

runs easily with wine. v easy.... Go Go Gooooo :)
I thought most if not all of the plugins for it wouldn't work via wine? Same with foobar, the main program is able to be run with wine but most of the plugins dont work.

It's been a long time since I've looked at the GNU/Linux GUI customisation, but since, well, these forums highlight some of the many advancements in the technologies, I'm a little dissapointed... there doesn't seem to be any real productivity changes in the desktop managers (KDE/Gnome), only very small changes. Where is the next generation KDE with the whole new paradigm of user interaction that everyone was hyped about when I left the scene >.< nothing has materialised.

xfce4

clean (for dirty, just picture stuff open)

Hey, is the skull image just part of the wallpaper or is it generated by some application? Cool desktop btw.

screenshot1hk1.th.jpg

You've got a sweet setup as well.

It's been a long time since I've looked at the GNU/Linux GUI customisation, but since, well, these forums highlight some of the many advancements in the technologies, I'm a little dissapointed... there doesn't seem to be any real productivity changes in the desktop managers (KDE/Gnome), only very small changes. Where is the next generation KDE with the whole new paradigm of user interaction that everyone was hyped about when I left the scene >.< nothing has materialised.

I dunno. I'm still using (and loving!) fluxbox. You don't need new UI paradigms or beryl or all of that to be productive. For me, simplicity is elegance is efficiency is productivity.

Where is the next generation KDE with the whole new paradigm of user interaction that everyone was hyped about when I left the scene >.< nothing has materialised.

The "next gen" KDE is due October (AFAIK), and that's just the framework for what kde4 is intended to be.

Personally I hate both the taskbar and the (k/g)menu with a passion, but I don't think any of those will be going anywhere anytime soon... which sucks because besides that I find KDE quite comfortable :(

Did away with the top taskbar, and made it look a little more like Windows (gasp!) Added Conky which I am still configuring.

Screenshot-14.png