Hatton Seals Fight with Mayweather

The "super-fight" between Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather will go ahead on 8 December after contracts were signed, according to Hatton's father Ray.

Hatton, who will step up a division from light welterweight for the fight, will receive a career-best purse.

"The contract provided what we wanted and we are officially signed up," said Ray, "and our lawyers have told us that the Mayweather camp have also signed.

"Now we are just waiting for the date and venue to be made official."

The MGM Grand in Las Vegas is favourite to host the contest, where Hatton could expect a travelling support in excess of the 10,000 who saw him beat Jose Luis Castillo in the city in June.

Mayweather came out of a short-lived retirement to take the fight, and has already begun the hype.

He said: "I don't know who is the pound-for-pound number two in the world, but there is no fighter in the world like me.

"Hatton is in for a rude awakening when we meet and he is in for a shock if he thinks I'm like any fighter he has ever faced. I'm in the business of blood, sweat and tears."

However, Hatton's trainer Billy Graham says his fighter will have no difficulties in moving up from his natural division, despite struggling to victory in his only fight at that weight of his career against Luis Collazo.

"The fight against Collazo was taken reluctantly and without proper time to prepare," Graham told BBC Sport, "but this time we have plenty of notice.

"We will do things differently, have a lot more time to get it right, and it won't be a problem at all

"Ricky set out to be the undisputed champion of the world and he did that, and did it against a living legend in Kostya Tszyu.

"But this fight, between the best pound-for-pound fighters out there who are both at their peak, is the ultimate fight in boxing."

The welterweight division requires fighters to weigh in between 141 and 147 lbs, while the light welterweight classification is 136 to 140 lbs.

Hatton has fought in the welterweight division on numerous occasions, but his last two fights - against Juan Urango and Jose Luis Castillo - have both been at the lighter weight.

Mayweather has also fought at different weights, stepping up to light middleweight for his most recent bout against Oscar de la Hoya.

"I've always said Ricky wasn't a welterweight and I wasn't interested in going back up to that division unless it was [against] Floyd because he's not such a big guy," added Graham.

"I don't think Floyd's any bigger than Ricky, whereas a lot of the welterweights are."

Hatton has admitted that a fight with Mayweather would be the highlight of his glittering career.

"Just getting in the ring with him will be the greatest day of my life, other than when my son was born," Hatton told the Daily Express last week. "Floyd is the one I want more than anybody else.

"Floyd is a great fighter but if he thinks I'm going to turn up and just lie back and take what he has got to dish out then he has got another thing coming."

Meanwhile, Mayweather's adviser Leonard Ellerbe said Hatton deserved praise for taking the fight.

"I never thought he would do it, but Ricky Hatton deserves credit for stepping up to the plate," he told USA Today.

"He asked for it and now he's going to get it. Floyd is extremely excited. He wants to show Hatton that he's never fought at this level before.

"He's going to show him what it's like to step in the ring with the best fighter."

De la Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions is understood to be taking charge of the arrangements.

So predictions now...Hatton to win? or Mayweather to walk it?

Why are they calling it a super fight? Just kidding. Hope the undercard is good cause Mayweather makes for boring fights. At 147, Hatton has no chance against Mayweather. He barely survived Collazo.

Mayweather by UD easily.

Why are they calling it a super fight? Just kidding. Hope the undercard is good cause Mayweather makes for boring fights. At 147, Hatton has no chance against Mayweather. He barely survived Collazo.

Mayweather by UD easily.

I think Mayweather will just stroll it by just going inside and being clinical...

• 4 months later...

Well I Hatton wins it, but it will be entertaining either way.

I am out on Saturday night until the early hours of the morning anyway (as usual), so I will probably be able to catch it live somewhere.

Mayweather 147, Hatton 145!

By Albert Howell at the scale / Photo: Mary Ann Owen

hatton_mayweather_weigh-in.jpg

Rick Hatton and Floyd Mayweather both made weight for their WBC welterweight title showdown on Saturday night in front of a big crowd inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Hatton walked in first wearing a black shirt and his trademark hat. Mayweather then entered wearing a black jacket and a hood over his head along with his team members holding up his WBC title belts. WBC president Jose Sulaiman was pesiding. Hatton took off his shirt, looking ripped, and stepped on the scale sideways facing Floyd. Hatton weighed 145 pounds. Mayweather did likewise facing directly at Hatton and weighed 147. The fighters then faced off literally nose-against-nose before being separated after some slight shoving.

Fightnews.com

I truly hope Hatton (the better man in and out of the ring) shuts Mayweather's mouth. I doubt it but I'll cross my fingers.

Fightnews.com

I truly hope Hatton (the better man in and out of the ring) shuts Mayweather's mouth. I doubt it but I'll cross my fingers.

Just remember Lloyd Honeygan v Don Curry

Just remember Lloyd Honeygan v Don Curry

Yes oh yes.

Hey Hatton has a really good chance. He easily whooped Castillo, an opponent that some felt beat Mayweather in their first fight. But in the end its all speculation.

Yes oh yes.

Hey Hatton has a really good chance. He easily whooped Castillo, an opponent that some felt beat Mayweather in their first fight. But in the end its all speculation.

Yeah Mayweather is awesome but I think Hatton could be Floyd if he really digs at him and I want it to happen because I really loathe Floyd's attitude.

I was hoping that Oscar Dela Hoya would have shut his mouth, but never mind, lets hope that Hatton can do the business!

I was hoping that Oscar Dela Hoya would have shut his mouth, but never mind, lets hope that Hatton can do the business!

I hope someone shuts his mouth for him.

I truly believe a younger Oscar could have beat Mayweather in his prime. Just as a feel a younger Mosley could have beat Cotto in his prime. In the end its all a bunch of what ifs.

garr, I wish I had sky! Is there any other way at all I can watch this apart from venturing out to a pub (are they even still open at the time of the fight) at 3am?

garr, I wish I had sky! Is there any other way at all I can watch this apart from venturing out to a pub (are they even still open at the time of the fight) at 3am?

I haven't seen anywhere the pub near me is open at the moment but they are charging like ?15 to get in which is pointless seeing as its ?15 on sk:laugh:h:

Well as I dont have sky, and couldnt be arsed to try and find a pub, I've... um... aquired a nice stream of it through the wonders of the internet... desperate times/desperate measures, dont judge me :(

It's either this or raid Rappy's house and watch it on his TV

26 mins to go!!!!!

i hope hatton tears that princess a new plug hole.

It's either this or raid Rappy's house and watch it on his TV

:laugh: Rappys house?! What? a soggy card bord box in the doorwy of booths?

:laugh: Rappys house?! What? a soggy card bord box in the doorwy of booths?

He drew a TV shaped square on the lid and is rocking back and forth smiling to himself now :)

btw arn't you meant to be in London with the other neowinians? Or are you all there somewhere watching the fight... with a laptop?

Well that sucks toffee's :(

I watched that thread for a while, but couldnt go in the end because I'm working 6 days a week atm, which included today. Only got sundays off for now. I hope it's reorganised.

Anyway! I'll be getting my food/drink ready for the fight now, I'll probably post here after the fight either very happy or very disappointed, and both ways, very tired!

Toodles til then