Computer beeps when turned off.

I had an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, then the BIOS got screwy, so I RMA'd it.

I got my new one about a month ago, and for some reason, when I turn it off, it emits a beep.

It's something odd too, because if I cut power via the PSU while the system is on, it beeps. If I shut down normally, it beeps. If my CPU overheats and it turns off the computer, it beeps.

As far as I know, the MB doesn't have a speaker on it, nor did I attach one (my case doesn't have one, Antec P180B).

Although it's a minor problem, I'm confused at what's making it. And there is a small basis for me to be worried.

Still, my MB doesn't beep on post, so I know it's not an internal speaker.

It's also not my normal speakers, which were disconnected, and the beep comes from the MB, presumably.

Specs:

MB: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (B3)

GPU: eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTX

RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2

HDD: 2x 500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200.10)

Case: Antec P180B

CPU HSF: Thermaltake V1 (was using stock earlier, when the beep still rang)

Any ideas? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Check the chassis intrusion jumper on your motherboard, I've got the same motherboard as you but never had this issue (also got a P180).

Radish?

chasis intrustion jumper on default

Well, the beep isn't the only thing odd with the motherboard.

When I turn on my psu, everything starts running (fans,etc), but nothing shows up on the screen, and powers down a few seconds later. To turn on my pc, I hit the power button.

Any more ideas? :x

chasis intrustion jumper on default

Well, the beep isn't the only thing odd with the motherboard.

When I turn on my psu, everything starts running (fans,etc), but nothing shows up on the screen, and powers down a few seconds later. To turn on my pc, I hit the power button.

Any more ideas? :x

Turning your PSU on sends a short signal (good) to your mobo to "test" things. The only time you should turn your PSU off is: When going away for more then 3 days. When a lightening storm is very very close. When working on the computer. Otherwise, it could damage the PC by turning that on and off again and again.

The beep could be that the mobo is just faulty - ask for another RMA. It's a PITA, but, it could clear the problem. If not, contact ASUS support.

I turned my psu off to change the internals and such.

I really do not wish to wait a few weeks to get this motherboard RMA'd as it is my only computer that I can use at the moment.

-edit

I don't really mind it, but is it something I should be really concerned?

Also, my motherboard beeps when it turns off from the 'on' state, meaning OS, etc. When it's on its 'standby' mode, where the mb is getting power but not really doing anything, and I turn off the PSU, it doesn't do anything.

I don't want to damage my hardware, so is this something really bad? ><

i think there is a reg tweak that you can do to make it not do that but, i don't know if it would help you any?

i think there is a reg tweak that you can do to make it not do that but, i don't know if it would help you any?

A reg tweak. Really? lol

And chassis intrusion on default i understand, but is the default on or off?

default off.

To clarify, the beep is a pretty long one, and dies out toward the end.

it might be the HDD's, but I doubt it. I'll look into it.

I had the same MB before I RMA'd it, and it didn't beep. I just put everything back when it came, so I'm really confused. This includes the HDD and that's why I don't think it's the HDD..

Also, the mb I had before I RMA'd didn't turn on when the psu switch was first turned on, but this one does. Kind of odd, but I don't think there's a problem in that.

My computer never made this beep before until i got my new drive. I tried to record it as best i can with my phone... the beep is at the 12s mark.

edit: i just noticed you said it was a long beep... this one is about the same as the POST in duration.

Recording.wav

if it's not broke, don't fix it.

If you think it's that big of a deal...just RMA it. When you've gone this far through a problem and you have the chance to RMA it and still won't then....just keep it.

i have a SOYO motherboard

and last couple of days its been doing weird ( i know its the ABR function) so i disabled that... and now windows says a couple of times its too hot (108?C and suchs but cooling is like cold) anyway the beeping came from ABR funtion

Well I'm not sure if it's causing a problem or not...

I've been running this system for 2 months now, and I'm seeing a slight decrease in performance. It might be because of defragging/stuff running, but it's a bit scary to me..

Also, what is ABR?

I asked Asus: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techmailstatu...708071020397301

They said:

This doesnt sound like anything that I have seen or heard before. It does not sound like it should be anything to be concerned with at this time. It sounds most like something loosing its charge as the system looses power. it does not sound like a large problem unless what ever is making the sound is going bad. testing this would just require multiple shutdowns listening closely to teh hardware to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

Typically and RMA takes 10 Business days from the time we receive the board.

Thank You for using our technical support deparment. Our goal is 100% customer satisfaction from our valued customers. Please take just a moment to fill out our customer service survey. With these reulsts we can improve our customer satisfaction and provide you with better service the on your next call. Thank you for taking your time to complete this survey.

Please do not respond to this email. If this does not solve your problem, or if you need further assistance, please have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 812-282-ASUS (2787) (M-F 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM EST).

Sean Reck

Support Engineer

Asus Technology

Http://usa.asus.com

Phone: (812) 282 ASUS (2787)

I guess I should keep it for now