PLAY Reviwed Lair (9/10), EGM did not Review Final Game!

We (Play) received the same review copy that I assume all the other mags did, which had optimized frame rates in the earlier missions, but poor frame rates in the last few missions and several bugs. We contacted Factor 5 and asked for all known issues and Julian himself replied with a detailed list, promising that the later levels were being optimized for frame rates, the bugs were being fixed, and that one aspect of the control would be improved. They said they would have a gold master candidate ready by our ship date, so I wrote the review on the assumptions that their promises would be kept, got the gold master candidate right before we went to press, and played that version for a few hours to confirm that they had addressed the issues. That gold master candidate was dated roughly a month ago, and as far as I know represents the game's final optimization.

I'm not sure what version the OP played?ours were never labeled "Preview Code", but a print mag's Review Code is sometimes a web site's Preview Code. Our last-received version of the game does not run at a rock-solid 30 fps, but I did not consider the frame rate problems to be an issue at all. I don't mind a few frame rate dips into the 20's here and there, if it's for the purpose of making an otherwise amazing looking game. I'm certainly not as sensitive to frame rate issues as the OP, but I don't think the average game enthusiast is either.

Just something to point out to the people who want to hate on Lair here?Sony and Factor 5 went all out to make sure the print mags got review copies as early as possible and frequent updates so that they could have reviews out before the game's release (which was at that point supposed to be August 8th, I think). Companies do NOT do that when they don't have a lot of faith in their games, so clearly both Factor 5 and Sony thought they had a critical hit on their hands, and any suggestion that they're trying to bury it or "send it out to die" is absurd. And having written the 9 review, I (obviously) agree.

News Source: Neogaf

From all accounts from the various podcasts I listen to, this game has many issues. Not the least of which is that it gets very repetitive, very fast.

Your link doesn't work.

here you go http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=557

Also James Stevenson from Insomniac Games posted at Neogaf about it:

After playing a lot more last night --- I don't care about the framerate issues - there are some incredibly cool missions.

Very light spoilers - more generic but don't want anyone to be caught off guard:

Mission in a dark canyon with dozens of spotlights... just wow... so intense. And then the following bombing mission... incredible scoring, feels sooo cinematic.

Whatever you do, don't write Lair off yet, it's a real spectacle of a game.

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=568

:)

I just read the EGM review yesterday as my issue came, and while frame rate was mentioned, it was not the reason for the low scores. It was the controls (lack of precision) and the frustrating radar system. They made this pretty damn clear.

have any of you listened to the latest Full Moon Show? http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php I encourage you all to do so because they have Julian Eggebrech from Factor 5 and he talks about the EGM review in a very nice way no bashing. He is also going to be on EGM live podcast this week it sounds like discussing the review.

have any of you listened to the latest Full Moon Show? http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php I encourage you all to do so because they have Julian Eggebrech from Factor 5 and he talks about the EGM review in a very nice way no bashing. He is also going to be on EGM live podcast this week it sounds like discussing the review.

Thats the guy who had the side bar and defended the game in the EGM article right? I thought that was really cool how they gave him the chance to do that, and his answers did seem to make sense.

I will be renting this game and judging for myself, that is my decision on it all.

I have heard from more than one source that the framerate has been cleaned up in the final builds and that the motion controls work just fine. So it's entirely possible that EGM's opinion on those issues is just that, opinion. The controls will probably be more of a personal matter. Though it remains to be seen whether or not the game is any good even if these two complaints were taken care of. I personally hated every Rogue game Factor 5 has made, but I do love dragons so I still have very restrained hope for this game.

From all accounts from the various podcasts I listen to, this game has many issues. Not the least of which is that it gets very repetitive, very fast.

That's been my fear all along.