Sharing files over a network

We have an Internet connection plugged into a modem. The modem is connected to a router.

Two PCs are also connected to the router, and we can both access the Internet. One of us is on XP SP2 and the other Vista RTM.

I have some videos and MP3s I want to send to him. What is the most effective way of doing this?

Enable file sharing on Windows on both machines. Then transfer data via My Network Places in XP, Network in Vista - providing there are shared folders there.

Radish?

Going to Network in Vista is only showing my system ('MUSTARDPC') and not his. Any ideas why?

Going to Network in Vista is only showing my system ('MUSTARDPC') and not his. Any ideas why?
What firewalls are you running? Are these machines both WIRED to the router, or wireless?

Quite often routers default/have an option called Client or AP isolation - which keeps wireless clients from talking to each other. Normally this does not stop wireless from talking to wired.. But if both wireless - could be the issue.

Also -- If running software firewalls/security software, etc.. you need to make sure they are enabled for file sharing. I would suggest turning them off for testing.

Vista will not show XP machines "connected" to your network without the LLDP responder installed

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

But this is NOT REQUIRED for file sharing, or any other type of network connectivity - ie browsing.. Only to see the machines connected to your vista network map.. Here

post-14624-1187353686_thumb.jpg

If you click the view full map -- you shoud see other devices on your network.. If not, then there is something blocking them from talking.. Firewall, double NAT, etc. Or your not running file an print sharing - or you have browsing disabled -- for example I know there is a current issue with XP that if you have the built in firewall disabled it will turn off the computer browser service - so your machine would not register itself or maintain a browse list.

As you can see here -- I show 1 XP machine connected to the vista network in the full map, since I installed the LLDP responder on it.. But the other 2k3 machine (p4-28g) an the linux boxes do not show that they are connected.. But I assue you they can be accessed just fine - an even show up on in the browse list, etc.

To verify connectivity -- make sure your not running any firewalls on either machines. An ping them by IP address. If this works - then have some type of browsing issues, or file an print sharing is not enabled, etc.

An before someone mentions it - NO NO NO, they do not have to be in the same workgroup ;)

edit: here is the link to the MS article about computer browsing when firewall disabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889320

When you disable the Windows Firewall service on your Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer, the Computer Browser service stops after five minutes and Event ID 7023 is logged in the Event Viewer

NOTE: This DOES NOT keep you from file sharing.. it is only BROWSING, that has NOTHING to do with file sharing.. You can just map a drive letter or access the machines shares directly \\computername\share etc.. etc..

Edited by BudMan