Xbox360 and Linksys WRT54G

Hey guys,

I am planning to buy Linksys WRT54G router to connect my xbox360 wirelessly, so that i can access Xbox Live and other features. I already have the Xbox 360 Network adaptor. This router will just be used by xbox360 since i dont have any other devices that will take advantage of WiFi. I also wanted to stream content from my Pc to Xbox 360 using tversity and other such programs. Will this router work properly with the console ?

Xbox 360 is currently located in the other room and the distance between my desktop and the console is not much with just one big wall acting as barrier.

Thanks

It'll be fine so long as you don't have omega slow internet speeds. The walls shouldn't bother too much. I'm across the house from my router, it's in the master bedroom, and there's a bathroom between it and the 360 but can stream videos just fine.

damn! i do have a slow internet actually, 300kbps ADSL line. When i had my laptop, it used to work fine in that room and i used to get good speeds too so i dont think that will be a problem with the 360.

I have the wireless adapter and it works great with all major router brands. I'm also getting 3/4 bars signal strength through 2 floors and lot's of wires/pipes in an old house.

I use the same one wired and had some problems hosting games on live. The solution was to open ports UDP 88 and TCP/UDP 3074 to the 360 and it worked great. I think this depends on the firewall settings of the other person as well.

I use the same one wired and had some problems hosting games on live. The solution was to open ports UDP 88 and TCP/UDP 3074 to the 360 and it worked great. I think this depends on the firewall settings of the other person as well.

Bingo. Was going to say the same thing as well. I have the same Router as well, and I am also Wired, but I imagine the ports would be an issue Wired or Wireless.

I had to Open up these same exact ports (which also included at least for myself assigning it a static IP address manually) and it worked like a champ after and my NAT always reports as open.

I have the pages bookmarked somewhere at home, I think, so you can try googling for instructions on how to do both things, but if you need instructions on how to do so, I can post them later on tonight as long as I still have it bookmarked.

Linksys Routers are great with Live.

I've got a Netgear DG483GT or something. Automatically configured for XBOX Live.

Its Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Router. I have heard that this router gets heated pretty fast and hence starts dropping connections :s

Netgear are the highest quality devices in my opinion. And the easiest to set up and configure. Though I wouldn't mind having a Linksys in it's place - it's just what I had at the time.

I would totally avoid D-Link, Buffalo, US Robotics or anything tacky like that though.

I've been using this router on XBOX Live for a while now and it's the best one i've ever used with it. Not a problem, didn't need to do any silly configuration, it was just working and it's always been on.

Maybe Netgear has improved from when I last used them, but I tend to stick to Linksys mostly and then sometimes D-Link. I have had positive experiences with US Robotics, but not much. ;)

I have the same router and it works fine. I did some tests with GoW and direct to my 1.5mbps/768kbps DSL connection (no router) and performance was about the same. DSL was the bottle neck, not the wireless connection to my console from that router.

Streaming video and music works great. Vista Home Premium w/ its Media Center + Transcode 360, and TVersity highly recommended (Y).