Windows Vista Ultimate - Pros and Cons

I'm about to go and buy Windows Vista Ultimate. I was wondering if anyone could give me some Pros and Cons of Vista, and Would getting Ultimate be worth it? Should I just get Windows Vista Basic, or something else.

My mate has Windows Vista on his laptop, and it looks really nice and more safe.

Just wondering, How many programs work with Vista these days? Is it too early to convert to Vista?

Would I need Vista Drivers for my Graphics card, sound card etc.

Also, Will my computer run Vista well.

AMD 64 4800+ 2X Dual Core

1 Gig DDR2 RAM

nVidia 7300 GS

M2N-MX Motherboard

Yeah, you would need vista drivers (although alot of XP ones do work) and that should run vista fine. As for applications, I havent found one application that doesnt work with vista (with the exception of Photoshop CS2, which messes up Aero, but CS3 fixes that).

What are you going to be using the computer for? as Ultimate is expensive, and not always needed.

Maybe wait for a Service Pack to address the issues that may come along with it?

I know that a lot of Graphics Cards have drivers issues with Vista, but I am unsure about yours.. perhaps you could see on nVidia's website?

Well I was still hoping I could still play Counter-Strike Source, because I've heard that Vista is a bit of a memory hog, and will slow down my games.

Well I was still hoping I could still play Counter-Strike Source, because I've heard that Vista is a bit of a memory hog, and will slow down my games.

I play CS:Source fine with basically the same set up, but replace the graphics with onboard, and add a gig of ram.

Just use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlite http://www.vlite.net/ to take out some of the stuff you wont use if you need the ram back

Vista takes around 3 times more memory than XP in my situation on 1.5GB RAM.

Support out of the box with Vista was good though as it installed everything apart my X-FI sound card, but on my laptop it installed everything WiFi, Sound, Card Reader, Graphics etc.

I really would suggest upgrading to 2GB if you were going to Vista very soon as with the 1GB you have, it might suck nearly as much as 60% on just startup!

Hmm.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc you are allowed to borrow someone's Vista disc, and install it in trial mode for 30 days. Maybe you wanna try that and make sure everything's okay before buying a license.

When I put the Vista DVD In, it comes up with this.

Do I install it from the desktop, or do the same as I did with XP, and boot to DVD/CD.

You can do it from there. It will copy the necessary files to your HD then restart your PC and continue setup from then on.

Hmm.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc you are allowed to borrow someone's Vista disc, and install it in trial mode for 30 days. Maybe you wanna try that and make sure everything's okay before buying a license.

No - there is no "trial mode". Those 30 days are just an activation grace period. If you install Vista for those 30 days without a valid license it's just as illegal as downloading the disk and using a crack etc.

1 GB of ram will make your computer feel very very slow.. especially with media and games... i suggest having at least 1.5 GB.. if not 2 GB (for ultimate)

Yeah, i agree with this. If you're using it for general stuff, 1GB is fine. If you're playing games (anything recent) you should try and get 2GB. Memory is dirt cheap these days anyway :p

No - there is no "trial mode". Those 30 days are just an activation grace period. If you install Vista for those 30 days without a valid license it's just as illegal as downloading the disk and using a crack etc.

Yeah, i agree with this. If you're using it for general stuff, 1GB is fine. If you're playing games (anything recent) you should try and get 2GB. Memory is dirt cheap these days anyway :p

Well I only really play CSS.

When I get a job :p I'll buy another stick of RAM. :)

Thanks for that. I was looking over the internet but couldn't find an authoritative answer on the legality of doing it.. No official MS statement saying whether it is legal/not. Might be in the EULA, which I don't have.

Anyway while digging through google, I also come across this old-ish Neowin news post:

https://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=38289

By default, Windows Vista can be installed, used and run without any license, product key or the need of activation for 30 days grace period, for purpose of trial or evaluation. Although Microsoft initially stressed that users should purchase a license with valid product key before the trial period expires, or else Windows Vista will lock into Reduced Functionality Mode.

There is no source for the article though...

Edit: to save time, do you have a source to back up your claim? A specific paragraph in the EULA perhaps?

Well I only really play CSS.

When I get a job :p I'll buy another stick of RAM. :)

You don't have enough money to buy RAM, yet you can affor to shell out ~$300 for Vista Ultimate?

You don't have enough money to buy RAM, yet you can affor to shell out ~$300 for Vista Ultimate?

Yeah. Pretty much.

I'm broke now. I got Vista along with a new chair.

make sure that if you use vista you use no less then windows vista home premium as for the cause that vista home basic is really bare and has alot of vista features disabled and not ther. and well if you dont game allot 1gb should be fine but 2gbs would be better

Another question.

with the previous Windows, they used Normal Discs. Aren't they using DVD's for Vista now?

If you need it on CD you can purchase the CDs from MS. The?retail box will only have DVD in it though...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033...ia/default.mspx

I diagree with you... Dispite what people say casually the only binding word is the EULA... The EULA states the following...

Section 2:

INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device (physical hardware system). That device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.

This states that you're not under a license until you assign it to a device... It doesn't state that you aren't allowed to use the software without being under a license so we get more clarification later in the EULA...

Section 4: (emphasis are added by me)

MANDATORY ACTIVATION.

Activation associates the use of the software with a specific device.> During activation, the software will send information about the software and the device to Microsoft. This information includes the version, language and product key of the software, the Internet protocol address of the device, and information derived from the hardware configuration of the device. For more information, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69497. By using the software, you consent to the transmission of this information. Before you activate, you have the right to use the version of the software installed during the installation process. Your right to use the software after the time specified in the installation process is limited unless it is activated. This is to prevent its unlicensed use.> You will not be able to continue using the software after that time if you do not activate it. If the device is connected to the Internet, the software may automatically connect to Microsoft for activation. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. If you do so, Internet and telephone service charges may apply. Some changes to your computer components or the software may require you to reactivate the software. The software will remind you to activate it until you do.

So the EULA is clearly saying you're not licensed until after you activate. It also states that you're allowed to use the software during the "grace period" (because MS doesn't want to call you a criminal before you activate). Since MS allows you to skip adding a product key until the 30 days are up it is in fact a 30 day trial.

You can read the EULA yourself...

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

That is the only definitive answer as it is the only one that would be admissable to court;))

About all of the debate over memory or Vista...

I run Vista Ultimate and OS X on my MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM. I've installed Vista over and over again and played with plenty of drivers, but it is still slower to boot and more sluggish than XP ever was. I don't think it's the memory either, because it acted the same way when I had 1GB (that's why I upgraded).

Anyway, why does it take 12 seconds (on average, I've timed it) to boot into a working OS X environment while it always takes over a minute for Vista to fully load? Now I'm not here to bash Vista, but this is one of the major reasons why I hardly ever reboot into Windows anymore.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the price is ridiculous! If you're a student, always check with your campus computer store/center for Vista deals. I got my copy of Vista Ultimate with disk, certificate, and key for $20 back when it first came out :p