UT3: PS3 and PC X-Play Confirmed

Epic is incorporating GameSpy's multiplayer tech into its advanced engine.

US, August 15, 2007 - IGN's GameSpy provides multiplayer gaming technologies such as matchmaking, in-game and out-of-game messaging, persistent player communities, and competition systems. Its services are used by the world's top ten publishers and are currently featured in over 500 games. Today GameSpy and Epic Games announced a partnership to incorporate GameSpy's technology suite into Epic's Unreal Engine 3. The tech will immediately be available to any publishers or developers that license the engine.

The partnership pertains only to the PlayStation 3 and PC platforms, and will enable cross-platform play between the two.

"Over the past months we have fully integrated a broad suite of GameSpy online technology in Unreal Engine 3 and have built a fantastic working relationship with Epic," said Jamie Berger, senior VP of consumer products and technology for IGN Entertainment. "We look forward to extending that relationship with a number of new technologies customized for Unreal Engine 3 to be introduced over the next 12 months."

GameSpy technologies available to license immediately include:

* Matchmaking

* "Comrade" is in-game middleware and desktop technology that enables seamless in-game to out-of-game community features, such as instant messaging, in-game voice communication, and friend rosters

* "Sake" will allow developers to store data securely online, enabling gamers to build extensive player profiles and maintain game statistics

* "ATLAS" is an advanced statistical system for dynamic leaderboards and tournaments within the game and on the web

Future feature sets developed by GameSpy will all be incorporated into the Epic Partnership. Unreal Engine 3 games that have already licensed GameSpy's tech include Codemasters' Turning Point: Fall of Liberty and Ubisoft's Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway.

Source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/813/813071p1.html

Good news! Those with less powerful PC's can clan up with some of the big clans of the PC version (and vice versa) for example :woot:

Edited by Audioboxer

There's nothing about this that indicate this will ig any way work with PSN or replace it.

In fact it seems rather instead that Epic has found PSN lacking and has instead with Gamespy recreated a Live! lite for the PS3, they're even including this service in the unreal engine and they have allready licensed it to other games.

I guess this is what happens when you launch yoru consoles wih an incomplete and ill defines online system/network.

the Haze developers may like th freedom they get by the PS3 not havign a copelte and defined online system with rules for how the games will integrate to it, but personally I by far prefer MS live! syste here the developers have to follow a strct set of rules in that they must implement the live! online system for online play and gamerlists.

I mean what happens when you receive messages from your PSN Xfire based in game messagign at the same time as your UT3 friends send you messaged with gamespys comrade system, it's all one big mess.

There's nothing about this that indicate this will ig any way work with PSN or replace it.

In fact it seems rather instead that Epic has found PSN lacking and has instead with Gamespy recreated a Live! lite for the PS3, they're even including this service in the unreal engine and they have allready licensed it to other games.

I guess this is what happens when you launch yoru consoles wih an incomplete and ill defines online system/network.

the Haze developers may like th freedom they get by the PS3 not havign a copelte and defined online system with rules for how the games will integrate to it, but personally I by far prefer MS live! syste here the developers have to follow a strct set of rules in that they must implement the live! online system for online play and gamerlists.

I mean what happens when you receive messages from your PSN Xfire based in game messagign at the same time as your UT3 friends send you messaged with gamespys comrade system, it's all one big mess.

We don't know anything for sure until its announced in detail.

Sony are working close with Epic to get UT3 working well. I'm sure they have plans in place to cover many things we, you, I have discussed.

The mere fact they have chosen to put out a timed exclusive on the PS3 makes me believe they are confident they can ship a well polished game that integrates all of the PSN features.

Well, sometimes companies sacrifice some things for others. Hey, at least the will not miss any maps or mods because of the format restriction heh.

Well, sometimes companies sacrifice some things for others. Hey, at least the will not miss any maps or mods because of the format restriction heh.

You don't know that we'll miss any either. XBL isn't so lacking as the PSN - they can easily put them up for download.

-Spenser

You don't know that we'll miss any either. XBL isn't so lacking as the PSN - they can easily put them up for download.

-Spenser

Then you have the risk that those will probably be for a "small" fee.

The only thing we can do is wait.

∧∧

∧∧∧ At this point it is really all mere speculation.

I think it is very safe to say however MS will figure something out. They pretty much have to the way I see it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I would pretty much be so against this move if it the PS3 did not support the Keyboard & Mouse.

Since it does though, I am glad that this past Sunday I already pre-ordered it for the PS3.

I almost feel guilty ordering it for the PS3, as I was a HUGE fan of UT2K4, and for a long time I would have said a game like this could only be played on the PC. Since my PC would barely play it though, and I have now, for a very good while, settled into being a console gamer, I think differently and do think it can be played on a console as well, so I am really excited for this game.

Hell, I even remember trying to get the whole clan on Neowin (2nd Fraggers Division) going for awhile and I designed the shell of the website for it.

I actually still have the initial design comp on one of my websites. ;)

The thing I remember the most is slimy being a huge big part of the Clan!

[OT_Rant]

Ahh, that whole Clan reminds me of the good old gaming days on Neowin...

When we were so much more of a community and not separated by foolish divisions caused by pieces of plastic made by companies that could absolutely care less about any of us.

How I miss those days...

Even more, I wish more members would remember those days and do everything they could to make it like that again...

Sure, we had our disagreements about which Graphics Card was better, and had plenty of advocates for one brand over the other.

Same could be said about CPU's too.

However we all realized, despite what components we used, that we were one in the same, and we were gamers.

There was no need for the constant back and forth, outdoing eachother, etc., and we all stood together for the love of games themselves...

Hopefully one day soon that whole vibe comes back stronger than it ever was...

[/OT_Rant]

So anyway, needless to say I am very much looking forward to playing this game.

To bad it comes out 4 days before my wedding and honeymoon. :laugh:

Hmm, I wonder what kind of connections the two places in Jamaica we will be staying at are going to have. :shiftyninja:

The honeymoon has to outweigh UT3... ahem ;)

No doubt.

Honestly it outweighs everything I have ever done up to this point in my life.

I absolutely had to make a joke out of it though, it was just to easy not to. :yes: ;)

To bad it comes out 4 days before my wedding and honeymoon. :laugh:

Hmm, I wonder what kind of connections the two places in Jamaica we will be staying at are going to have. :shiftyninja:

It's a sign! The holy gods of gaming wish for an Unreal Tournament-themed wedding! :woot: :p :laugh: